Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FireBox BBQ Pizza Oven  (Read 2151 times)

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
FireBox BBQ Pizza Oven
« on: May 06, 2018, 08:46:11 PM »

I picked this up in March for silly money, figuring I didn't have much to lose. But the weather over here hasn't been conducive to cooking in the garden, so I only just got around to playing with it.

I make no apology for the supermarket kids pizza. This session was to see how well the thing worked, and what temperatures could be achieved. I didn't want to go to the trouble of making dough, only to have to put the pizza in the bin.

The FireBox Pizza Oven sits on the BBQ grate. For this first test, I took both the drip tray and heat shield out of the Traeger. After the fact, I realise that removing the heat shield was a mistake, as the base cooked (and in the first pizza, burned slightly) before the top was browned. My next test will be with the heat shield but still no drip tray. The Firebox has two channels either side of the stone for heat to enter the oven - I reckon the edge of the heat shield will be almost directly under those channels, meaning I can get a better balance between the top and bottom.

Even so, I got surprising results. The first pizza was edible, apart from the burnt quarter - with a decent crispness. I took a couple of bites, and binned the rest, as I wanted to cook another, and didn't want to eat too much.

By the time the second pizza was about to go in, the Firebox was too hot (according to the temp gauge), so I turned the Traeger off, and cooked on what heat the oven had. It also suffered from an under-cooked top, but was actually quite nice, and I had it for my lunch.

(This is the Traeger that is currently hard wired, and is either on, or off, nothing in between.)

The pizza was nothing to boast about, but to get edible results so quickly seems promising.

If it is sunny again tomorrow, I am going to have another go, with the new configuration, again with cheap supermarket pizza. If that works, then I'll do a pizza from scratch next weekend.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
Re: FireBox BBQ Pizza Oven
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 08:52:26 PM »

When it comes to doing proper pizza, it is supposed to be able to cook up to 12" pizzas. I think I would probably keep it to 10", at least at first, to give a  bit of wiggle room inside there and make it easy to turn the pizza.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 09:44:34 PM »

interesting

what materials is that pizza oven made out of?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 10:23:38 PM »

Steel throughout, with a thin (but plenty adequate) stone that fits in the base. One of the things I liked is that the stone is removable, so should I have a mishap, it would be easy to get a replacement cut to size. It would also be possible to fit a thicker stone, if I wanted to.

The base is covered in holes allowing direct heat on the stone, plus a row of holes either side, allowing heat flow around the stone and into the chamber.

They sell over here for about $110, but when I visited my garden centre they had two boxes that were badly crushed. The prices of these were reduced to the equivalent of $45. I persuaded them to let me open one up, and it was just the packaging that was damaged, so I snapped one up. A few of my friends are annoyed that I didn't get the other one, too.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »

Had another go today, but putting the heat shield back in simply killed it - the base wasn't getting enough heat.

I ended up with a pleasant enough (supermarket) pizza, but it took 13 minutes to cook, and I could have done exactly the same in my oven.

So I think it is definitely no grease tray or heat shield, and I need to replace the relay that blew last year and give my Traeger back temperature control. It's a simple enough job, its just that with my Davy Crockett available for slow cooking, I simply haven't bothered.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 02:43:54 PM »

The next experiment, once I get the Traeger temp controlled, will be with home-made dough. I think I am close enough now to make the effort. :D

jgrayson

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 02:50:32 PM »

This product looks like it would be worth testing out at home.  I'll have to look around the area and on-line to see if I can find one on a sale price.  Thanks for sharing!
Have fun, John Yoder YS640S; Oklahoma Joes The Judge Charcoal Grill

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 03:23:56 PM »

I think the inserts like this and the GMG oven make more sense...Thanks Chris!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »

That looks similar to the Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven that I had. It made very good pizza on my gas grill - but it took up too much space and found I didn't really need it once I got the Memphis.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 07:57:06 PM »

I'm not sure you will be able to find this in the US, as it appears to be a UK company. The full name, including brand is "La Hacienda Firebox BBQ Pizza Oven".

https://www.lahacienda.co.uk/product/firebox-bbq-pizza-oven/

However, I am sure there are other similar products about.

I'll take a couple more pictures of it, out of the grill, tomorrow or Wednesday, so you can see how the bottom is constructed.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 12:24:21 AM »

That looks similar to the Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven that I had. It made very good pizza on my gas grill - but it took up too much space and found I didn't really need it once I got the Memphis.

It does look very similar, although I think the Camp Chef may be bigger.

jgrayson

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 10:02:41 AM »

I'm not sure you will be able to find this in the US, as it appears to be a UK company. The full name, including brand is "La Hacienda Firebox BBQ Pizza Oven".

https://www.lahacienda.co.uk/product/firebox-bbq-pizza-oven/

You are correct.  The website says they do not ship to USA.  Then I did a google search, and found that Amazon carries it but they too do not ship this to the USA.  I then stumbled across a different product:  BakerStone Basics Pizza Oven.  It's available for about $90 + shipping(?).  I'll look some more for this one at a lower price.

Have fun, John Yoder YS640S; Oklahoma Joes The Judge Charcoal Grill

W6YJ

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »

A product that looks like this oven (as near as I can see) is the:

Flame Box Pizza Oven for Outdoor Gas or Charcoal Grill FB12-US

$87 with free shipping.

If you buy it through Google Express, there is a 20% discount with a final delivered cost of $69.59.

Ed

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 06:16:16 PM »

A product that looks like this oven (as near as I can see) is the:

Flame Box Pizza Oven for Outdoor Gas or Charcoal Grill FB12-US

That looks to be pretty much identical to my one. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up