Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homemade Cheddar Brats  (Read 891 times)

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Homemade Cheddar Brats
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:41:26 PM »

Bought too much pork butt for my kids college house (to celebrate the end of the semester) so I made about 2lbs of breakfast sausage and 3lbs of cheddar brats.  This was a recipe found on the interweb but its not too bad!

YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Homemade Cheddar Brats
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »

looks good
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »

Good idea... Looks first class...   

TLK

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 10:59:36 AM »

The big take-away from this (as I have never made them before) was that next time I will grind the cheddar so I have large chunks.  I used pre-shredded cheddar and it melted into the meat so you didn't get that big bite of oozing cheese as a result.  Still a good first effort.....

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »

The big take-away from this (as I have never made them before) was that next time I will grind the cheddar so I have large chunks.  I used pre-shredded cheddar and it melted into the meat so you didn't get that big bite of oozing cheese as a result.  Still a good first effort.....

Maybe try high heat cheese, but it usually runs about $10/#
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

TLK

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 02:51:50 PM »

have never heard of it but will certainly look next time. Is that a specialty item or something that the local supermarket should carry?

leppolite

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »

Hopefully this is ok to link. I have purchased High Temp Cheese from these guys before.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/seasonings/high-temperature-cheese
Rec Tec RT-680
Akorn Kamado
Pit Boss Copperhead 5

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 03:07:35 PM »

have never heard of it but will certainly look next time. Is that a specialty item or something that the local supermarket should carry?

I never looked for it at a supermarket but not sure they would carry it.  Waltons, Amazon, LEM, etc. are a few places to buy it.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 03:39:35 PM »

It will make a little difference, but not much.  I was gonna get HH Cheese till I saw the price and figured I could just cook the brats lower and slower when they had cheese in them, then let them cool just a bit before I ate them!

Bacon is a Gateway Food...
Pages: [1]   Go Up