Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: low temp smoke  (Read 1256 times)

migraine8626

• Using less gas.
low temp smoke
« on: May 12, 2018, 11:38:32 AM »

Hi all...

What is considered a low temp smoke on a traeger pro 22 for making buckboard bacon and cheeses or is it just the smoke setting and what temp is that...Thanks as always...Rock

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: low temp smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »

If you can adjust the P-settings, you can adjust the delay and keep it cooler, just be careful or you’ll have a flameout if you set it too high. You also might be able to prop the door open a bit on smoke setting. Might want to test run a couple hours before adding food.

I’ve never cold smoked anything but have been tempted to try lately with all the jerky pics. If I were to try really low on cheese on a Traeger, my first guess would be p-4 and lid propped open an eighth inch (thinking folded foil around both bottoms).
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

bregent

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »

For bacon, I like to go as low as possible to avoid rendering any fat. It works on my Memphis at 180, which is the lowest it will go, but it's better on my gas smoker which I can get to 150.

Forget about cheese. The texture changes when most cheese gets above 80F so you need to cold smoke on a cool day. Some folks will cold smoke on a pellet grill by placing a pellet tube in and smoking with the grill off, or just the fan running. While this works, the cheese taste like an ashtray if you don't let it mellow for 3 or more weeks. It's better to use a long tube from the smoke source to a box to give the smoke a longer time to cool.

migraine8626

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »

Thank you

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »

I have been fine with cheese smoking at up to 90° in my MAK side chamber with temps measured with the Thermoworks Smoke grate probe.  Above that it really starts to deform and at some point will melt.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

migraine8626

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 01:37:38 PM »

I'm thinking of trying buckboard the first time...Anybody have a recipe or link to one to share...Thanks as always...Rock

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »

If you can adjust the P-settings, you can adjust the delay and keep it cooler, just be careful or you’ll have a flameout if you set it too high. You also might be able to prop the door open a bit on smoke setting. Might want to test run a couple hours before adding food.

I’ve never cold smoked anything but have been tempted to try lately with all the jerky pics. If I were to try really low on cheese on a Traeger, my first guess would be p-4 and lid propped open an eighth inch (thinking folded foil around both bottoms).

Messing with 'P' has always resulted in failure for me. If it's less than 80 deg outside, even 1 tick causes more problems than it's worth.  :2cents:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

glitchy

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »

Messing with 'P' has always resulted in failure for me. If it's less than 80 deg outside, even 1 tick causes more problems than it's worth.  :2cents:

I used to run p-0 for any temp cooks and p-1 to p-3 for smoke depending on outdoor temps, with pretty good luck. Then I mostly switched to only 225 plus and just left at p-0. If I ran smoke at p-0 temps would go from 180-300 on swings though.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:34:55 PM by Bentley »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »

A few options.  You can buy a ready made cure like Backwoods or Hi Mountain, or you can cure it your self.  If you buy one of the pre packaged cures, they will tell you exactly what to do.  If you want to do it from scratch, we have many experts on here to help you!  Let us know!

I'm thinking of trying buckboard the first time...Anybody have a recipe...to share..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:41:11 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 08:44:22 PM »

I've been using the Hi Mountain Buckboard kits for many years now. I might add things sometimes, but they are a great way get started.

migraine8626

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »

Thanks to all...I have a rookie question...What are P1 P2 ect..I have a traeger pro 22 having a smoke setting then the normal temp. settings...Thanks as always...Rock

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »

Thanks to all...I have a rookie question...What are P1 P2 ect..I have a traeger pro 22 having a smoke setting then the normal temp. settings...Thanks as always...Rock

I'm not familiar with your unit, but my 4 y/o Jr has the controller that has temp settings vs the old 3 way (low/med/high).
Mine has a sticker on the upper right corner that covers a hole in the faceplate. Remove that sticker and you will have access to the P setting. Simply insert a small flat faced tool into the hole and press the button inside to adjust the setting.

I've had many bad experiences in using this feature, but my Jr is substantially smaller than most other pits. YMMV
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »

Traeger has a video about P settings that you can search "G" for that will help.

Take "call service" sticker off and just push button and it will show you what you are at and with each push will go up by one until it starts over at the bottom.

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

bregent

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 01:25:36 PM »

I think the controller on the Pro 22 uses their AGL logic, and does not have a manual P setting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up