Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: pheasant help  (Read 1341 times)

JBsuperG

• Using less gas.
pheasant help
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »

My brother in law gave me 8 pheasant last weekend that he asked me to cook this Sunday.  I am surprised that he asked me, because I did this for him before.  I did not think it came out very good.  Last time I brined them with some chickens and smoked them together.  I did not cook the pheasant as long as the chicken, but it still seemed dry.

Is there anybody here that has had success and would like to share their methods.  I don't want to mess up his birds.

Thanks

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: pheasant help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:46 AM »

I have recipes that have been a hit with people who claim to not like wild game.  None are grilled or smoked, tho'.  PM me with your email address if your'e you're interested and I'll send them.  I can't attach the recipe file to a PM on this site.

My son and I bag a lot of pheasants each fall and we enjoy eating them.

EDIT:  Corrected typo
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:32:11 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 03:48:52 PM »

Under glass is all that is coming to mind!  Sorry, could not resist, and will probably mean nothing to most!

He must have enhoyed your last batch, this would be my guess!  I, like many of pmillen's friends it seems, was not a fan of the bird as a child.  I then had it at a political fund raiser I was made to go to as a teenager and it was grilled and served with a wild rice.  It was very good, but I am no help for you..sorry!

But any recipe Mr. Millen sends you is going to be over the Top!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:47:40 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

bucky919

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »

Most of my pheasant I cut into small pieces, use whatever seasoning I have around, wrap in bacon. Throw on the grill and they are usually gone from people grazing before they ever hit the serving plate.
FireCraft Q450

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:55:56 PM »

Haven't had pheasant for 50 years or so, but as I recall, it's dark meat that's rather dry. I remember loving the taste though...

I would cook it like one would rabbit. The differences abound, yet so do the similarities.

Last time I smoked a rabbit, I made coarsely chopped spinach mixed with salt and finely chopped garlic combined in a bowl and let set for an hr or so. Stuff the cavity, apply rub of choice, and wrap in bacon. Pretty sure I smoked it low for a couple hrs before ramping up the temp until crispy bacon. I quartered the rodent, vac sealed it and froze it.

I was lucky to get 1/4 before my son devoured the remaining 3 quarters (and he doesn't like spinach).

I would do pigeon (squab) the same way. The only other 'wild' bird I've eaten is grouse, and it was always stewed. It was ok, but the process left no wild taste, and the mouth feel was no better than stewed beef.

Keep us up to date as this is intriguing.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

jacksdad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »

Ate a lot of pheasant last year thanks to a few trips to game farms.  I might try smoking one this year but honestly this recipe is the ticket.  Trick is get it out in time. 

honest-food.net/roast-pheasant-recipe/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:43:13 PM by Bentley »

jacksdad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 04:44:21 PM »

I often spatchcock mine also.  Time is a bit shorter.  I hover around the oven ready to pull the moment I think it’s ready. 

JBsuperG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:46:49 AM »

I often spatchcock mine also.  Time is a bit shorter.  I hover around the oven ready to pull the moment I think it’s ready. 

So now I’m wondering??? Should these birds be cooked to the same temperature as a chicken? Or can they be polled sooner? What temperature should it be cooked you?

Mikro

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »

<snip> (not nearly as good as bacon wrapped dove on the grill though).< snip>

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree dove breast stuffed with a slice of jalopeno pepper, cream cheese wrapped in bacon, fried or grilled is excellent. :) The last time I had any smoked pheasant it was pulled when IT was at around 145* to 150* and then FTC for a short time.
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker

jacksdad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »

So now I’m wondering??? Should these birds be cooked to the same temperature as a chicken? Or can they be polled sooner? What temperature should it be cooked you?
Same temp as chicken but just barely.   The brining gives you a little bigger window before it dries out. 

I also always tent it under foil after pulling from oven for 15 min or so while we’re getting table set. 

jacksdad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 01:14:00 PM »

A phez and chukar from this past winter.  The chukar was even tastier than the phez.  May not be the same for wild birds though. 

jacksdad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 01:14:54 PM »

A bowl of quail.  Cook fast and eat sooooo good. 

jacksdad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 01:15:48 PM »

I baste with butter a fair amount as well. 

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 03:50:42 PM »

I spatchcock just like chicken so it cooks faster to help keep the time on the heat shorter and cook at 325. I really like a brand called Symeon’s that is a greek spice blend that tastes fantastic on birds when I am trying to go for more of a rotisserie chicken kind of experience. My wife's aunt lives in NY not terribly far from the restaurant and brought us one of the 16 ounce containers of the seasoning. I put the rub on a few hours before the cook and don't brine because the seasoning contains salt.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

JBsuperG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »

Well after taking the advice of many pellet fans and doing quite a bit of research, I decided on three different recipes.  I had five birds.  I figured if I do three recipes I have a good chance of success on one of them.

I apologize in advance...  I took no pics.  I totally planned to, but as I so often do I get busy and caught up in the moment and forget. 

I took a recipe that pmillen emailed me that he called pheasant in sour cream.  He described it as a sort of stroganoff.  I used two birds in this.  It was really good and a big hit.  So thanks pmillen.

Because I felt the need to use the pellet smoker, I made atomic buffalo turds with one of the birds.  I just substituted the little smokies for pieces of pheasant.

And finally I smoked two of them at 250* for a couple of hours.  I filled the cavity with chopped onion, then rubbed the bird with a chicken rub.  Bacon was laid over the top to help keep it moist.  I pulled them at an internal temp of 155.  I was very pleased with how that turned out.  Their was a nice smoke flavor and the meat was still moist.  I would definitely do it again.

Thanks to everybody who shared their experience.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up