Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tempature Problem for Buckboard Bacon  (Read 1657 times)

migraine8626

• Using less gas.
Tempature Problem for Buckboard Bacon
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:34:06 AM »

Hi all...
I have a Traeger pro 22...I have a shoulder done curing on Saturday for buck board bacon...I just found out I can't get to 150 F. as the instructions call for...

The recipe says 150 F. without smoke which I can't shut off the smoke...I called Traeger and was told on a 85 F day the smoke setting (which is it's lowest setting) will go to 180 F....Any suggestions will be appreciated...Thanks as always...Rock

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
Re: Tempature Problem for Buckboard Bacon
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 10:45:55 AM »

The recipe says 150 F. without smoke which I can't shut off the smoke..

You don't want smoke? If that's the case just do it in your oven. Before I got my pellet grill I would do jerky in the oven. I would set at lowest temp and crack open the door with a hot pad. But I would hope you want the smoke. Try late at night or very early in morning when temp is lower. Could fill bread pans with water and freeze to add to your smoker to help out.

Mudflap

Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 02:47:15 PM »

The recipe says 150 F. without smoke which I can't shut off the smoke..

You don't want smoke? If that's the case just do it in your oven. Before I got my pellet grill I would do jerky in the oven. I would set at lowest temp and crack open the door with a hot pad. But I would hope you want the smoke. Try late at night or very early in morning when temp is lower. Could fill bread pans with water and freeze to add to your smoker to help out.

Mudflap

all good ideas
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 02:58:40 PM »

Bacon without smoke??? 

If you have a old style Traeger, with P-setting adjustment, you could tweak that to possibly get lower, but newer Traegers apparently don't have that.   

if you can get close to 180F, that would be OK...  Personally I like to do my bacon around 165F, but honestly thre's not really a huge difference between 150F and 180F...  Only thing that will happen differently is your internal temperature will be reach faster at the higher temperature, and that might mean less smoke flavor on your bacon. ( unclear if you even want smoke ).  The only other thing it will do at the higher temperature, is the fat will begin to render faster then it would if you were at the lower temperature.... generally as long as you don't go too far above 180F, this later issue is not a super big deal...

In short... 150 to 165F would be my first choice of temperatures... but I would not hesitate at making bacon if I could only go as low as 180F.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

migraine8626

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 06:18:38 PM »

Hi all...I do want smoke...I do smoke a variety of other meats...This is my first run on buckboard bacon...An earlier post was suggested to me for the first time try Hi Mountain cure...This is the recipe I'm following...It says after curing place meat on screen then heat smoker to 150 F. without smoke for 45 minutes...After 45 min. increase heat to 200 F. with smoke until internal temp. is 140 F. then turn off heat let it sit in smoker for 1 more hour...Thanks as always for all the help...Rock

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:09:42 PM »

No worries, I do the Hi Mtn Buckboard all the time. After curing, the meat will firm up. I let it dry out open in the fridge on a wire rack. It helps with smoke absorption. Go 3 hours on smoke mode, raise to 225 to 250 until an internal of 150 to 156. Let it cool down completely, wrap in plastic and back to fridge overnight before slicing. Good stuff!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »

Hi all...I do want smoke...I do smoke a variety of other meats...This is my first run on buckboard bacon...An earlier post was suggested to me for the first time try Hi Mountain cure...This is the recipe I'm following...It says after curing place meat on screen then heat smoker to 150 F. without smoke for 45 minutes...After 45 min. increase heat to 200 F. with smoke until internal temp. is 140 F. then turn off heat let it sit in smoker for 1 more hour...Thanks as always for all the help...Rock

It is not possible to put meat on a pellet grill at a temp of 150 without getting any smoke...in fact it is probably not possible below 350.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

migraine8626

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »

How long should I let it dry in the fridge...Rock

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »

Until the pellicle forms or meat is tacky. Over night wont hurt but few hrs will do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellicle_(cooking)

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

migraine8626

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »

Thanks Mudflap

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 01:47:32 PM »

I try to avoid smoking the bacon at anything over 170°.  If you don't cross that temp, you never have to worry about rendering the fat out.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

migraine8626

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »

Do you keep the temp. at 170 or below for the whole time...Thanks...Rock
Pages: [1]   Go Up