Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for: "Moist" Baked Bean Recipe  (Read 2978 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Looking for: "Moist" Baked Bean Recipe
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »

Now that's different. Thanks hughver!

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 12:13:47 PM »

I've also done them with peach pie filling but I like the apple better.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 06:48:35 PM »

I've tried the baked bean recipe that calls for "apple pie filling". I have no idea why. Won't do it again.
Hey, this is baked beans, not dessert.

I also tried baked beans using (fresh/uncooked) dried beans. I'm done with that routine as well.
From now on it's strictly canned beans in my recipes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:50:08 PM by Trooper »
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 06:58:48 PM »

Do you use brown sugar in your dessert...oops, I meant baked beans?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:01:08 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 09:32:52 PM »

I agree, only tried them twice, but it is why I would not make them.  But I do not like a traditional baked bean, much like candied sweet potatoes, to much for me.  I like a savory bean!  That is why I like Ranch Style Beans!

I've tried the baked bean recipe that calls for "apple pie filling". I have no idea why. Won't do it again.

Bacon is a Gateway Food...

JeffCO

• Using less gas.
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 10:39:51 AM »

I love these:

bregent

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 11:49:07 AM »

I agree, only tried them twice, but it is why I would not make them.  But I do not like a traditional baked bean, much like candied sweet potatoes, to much for me.  I like a savory bean!  That is why I like Ranch Style Beans!

Those are our favorite too. Have you found a good recipe for home made ranch beans that you like? I've tried a few that are very good, but not quite 100% the same.

And regarding fresh beans, I had always heard fresh is best but just experienced it for the first time this week. We get a weekly fresh veggie delivery and this week it included 1 qt of Peruano beans, which are about the same size as pinto beans. Covered them with water, added 1/2 onion and 1 tbls lard and brought them to a boil and reduce to simmer. Within 15 minutes they were getting soft and after 30 minutes they were done. Kept them simmering for a total of 1 hour to be sure.

Also was reading about soaking overnight which is what I had always done in the past. From what I gathered, soaking does little to speed up cooking time, especially if they are fresh and does little to eliminate gas. Plus, much of the flavor is lost in the soaking water that is thrown out.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »

I just like them heated out of the can.  If I want to make them hearty and a meal, I will add some cooked onions and ground beef!

I got hooked on them when my mom started making a taco salad with them, she would drain them and use them in that.  I just loved the flavor of them.

Those are our favorite too. Have you found a good recipe for home made ranch beans that you like?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »

You also used some left over brisket in them one time and that was real good.

bregent

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »

I just like them heated out of the can.  If I want to make them hearty and a meal, I will add some cooked onions and ground beef!

I got hooked on them when my mom started making a taco salad with them, she would drain them and use them in that.  I just loved the flavor of them.

Those are our favorite too. Have you found a good recipe for home made ranch beans that you like?

Right, but what I meant was if you've ever tried to duplicate the flavor of those with a homemade version from dried beans. Here's a few that I have tried:

Ranch Beans II
   â€¢ 1 lb dry pinto or northern white beans
   â€¢ 5 cups cold water
   â€¢ 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
   â€¢ 12 ounces bacon
   â€¢ 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
   â€¢ 1 1⁄2 tablespoons combination of California chili powder (New Mexico, Hungarian Paprika. All Mild)
   â€¢ 4 teaspoon brown sugar
   â€¢ 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (for spicier beans add another 1/2 Tsp)
   â€¢ 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
   â€¢ 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
   â€¢ 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
   â€¢ 1 small onion, chopped
   â€¢ 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
   â€¢ 1⁄4 cup tomato puree 
   â€¢ 2 teaspoon molasses 
   â€¢ 1/4 cup canned jalapeno peppers, diced
Note: You can substitute ketchup for tomato puree and molasses
DIRECTIONS
   1. Soak beans overnight, then rinse and drain
   2. Saute bacon till done, drain and remove most of the solid fat
Place all ingredients into crock pot. Add water and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 5 to 6 hours on high (300). Check liquid level occasionally and add more water (add boiling water, never cold) as needed to keep beans covered.

Ranch Beans III
   â€¢ 16 ounces dried pinto beans
   â€¢ 6 ancho chilies, stems and seeds removed (I used dried New Mexico pods)

â€¢ 6 large pods was too many. Use 3 large
   â€¢ 6 garlic cloves, minced
   â€¢ 1 onion, diced
   â€¢ 1(15 ounce) can tomatoes (or 2 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled)
   â€¢ 1 teaspoon brown sugar
   â€¢ 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
   â€¢ 1 teaspoon paprika
   â€¢ 2 teaspoon cumin
   â€¢ 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
   â€¢ 1 cup water
   â€¢ 6 cups beef broth
   â€¢ salt and black pepper

DIRECTIONS
   1. Soak the beans covered in water and 1tsp salt, either overnight or the quick soak method in which you place the beans in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat and let sit for one hour.
   2. Drain the soaked beans.
   3. In a cast-iron skillet heated up to medium high, cook the anchos on each side for a couple of minutes (or until they start to bubble and pop), turn off the heat and fill the skillet with warm water. Let them sit until soft and rehydrated, which should happen after half an hour or so.
   4. In the pot you’ll be cooking your beans, heat up a teaspoon of canola oil and cook the onions for ten minutes on medium. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Throw the cooked onions and garlic in a blender and add the tomatoes, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, oregano, water and hydrated ancho chiles. Puree until smooth.
   5. Add the pinto beans and beef broth to the pot and stir in the chile puree. On high, bring the pot to a boil and then cover; turn the heat down to low and simmer for two and a half hours, stirring occasionally. At this point, I check my beans for tenderness as depending on the freshness of the beans I find that the cooking time can be as short as two and a half hours and as long as four hours. When you're satisfied that the beans are done, salt and pepper to taste.
   6. Feeds four to six.
   7. Notes: If you can’t find dried ancho chiles, you can substitute either ancho chile powder or regular chili powder. I’d use 1/4 of a cup. These are not fiery beans, but if you want a bit more heat I'd throw in a bit of Cayenne. And I always add a pinch of baking soda to my soaking beans to help with digestion issues. You may do the same.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 02:20:31 PM »

Interesting recipes bregent!   Which one do you prefer and why?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »

I have not, they are just to easy and to cheap!

Right, but what I meant was if you've ever tried to duplicate the flavor of those with a homemade version from dried beans.

bregent

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 02:43:33 PM »

Interesting recipes bregent!   Which one do you prefer and why?

Good question John, I wish I had kept better notes and haven't made these in over a year. They are pretty much copied as-is from other food sites. Most of the comments in them are from the original author and not from me. I would not soak overnight or add baking soda. The fact that I labelled them II and III makes me think I had an original version I discarded. These two have similar list of main ingredients like chiles, garlic, cumin and oregano but quantities vary greatly on some.

I plan on making one of these this weekend with the Peruano beans we have and will report back.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »

Always like to soak my beans in chicken or beef stock depending on the use, not only adds flavor, they cook much better for me!

bregent

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 10:09:43 PM »

Always like to soak my beans in chicken or beef stock depending on the use, not only adds flavor, they cook much better for me!

I think that's fine as long as you're not discarding the soaking liquid. When I spoke of soaking I was referring to the practice of soaking in a large volume of water and then discarding the soaking water in order to get rid of some of the carbs that cause gas. Apparently the offending carbs are not released during cold soaking, but other flavorful compounds are,  which are then lost if you dump the liquid.  I really have no first hand experience with that subject but read about it in a few reputable sources.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up