Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous Vide Brisket  (Read 2056 times)

Woody

• Using less gas.
Sous Vide Brisket
« on: June 10, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »

Can someone please let me know if they have had success with brisket via sous vide?  I'm a brisket nut and if smoking, then sous vide, then quick grilling is the best way for consistent perfection, then I've got to try it.  I just need to hear success stories because I can't believe that it works better than smoking.

I understand that the bark and smoke flavor would suffer, but how about the flavor, tenderness, and juicy factor?

Thanks

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Sous Vide Brisket
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dk117

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:20:28 AM »

blasphemy I say!    :P

Let us know how it goes.

DK

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »

I sous vide most of the briskets that I do now days. My process is to first separate the point from the flat and remove all visible fat, season, smoke on low until It reaches 100-110°, vacuum pack and sous vide at 135° for 48 hours. I do mine in a modified cooler using large bags but you can cut it in half and use two bag if necessary. I typically sear on my gas grill at 550° for a minute or two just before serving. This method yields brisket with a very distinguishable smoke flavor, you can adjust your smoke time to match your taste.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:30:41 AM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 12:44:06 PM »

I have cooked 2 full packers (on the smoker only) and 1 small portion of a flat (smoked and then sous vide). The 2 full packers were cooked naked (not wrapped or put in a foil pan or anything) with salt and pepper. I was not pleased with the results. I then cooked a small portion of a flat. Seasoned the same as the full packers but smoked for 3 hours at the smoke setting and then into the sous vide at 155 for about 30 hours. Then I seared both sides in a 600 degree cast iron pan. The smoked with a pellet smoker and then sous vide was the best of my (very) limited experience. I plan to try a couple more smaller portions at different times / temps to see what my family and I prefer before going the full packer route again.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:02:20 PM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 12:46:55 PM »

Have not got around to it yet, but I think I may do it this weekend.  To me, I think it will be just as you state. 

I'm a brisket nut and if smoking, then sous vide, then quick grilling is the best way for consistent perfection, then I've got to try it.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

hughver

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »

then into the sous vide at 155 for about 30 hours.

I use 130-135° for a longer period of time for the same reason that I cook my steak at 130°, IMHO, higher temperature diminishes the flavor of meat. I've done them at 130° for 72 hours and 145° for 36 hours, at 72 hours the flavor was very good but I did not particularly care for the texture, slightly mushy. For me, the sweet spot is 135° for 48 hours. I let it cool slightly before searing so that the final serving temperature is around 135°, medium rare brisket.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »

then into the sous vide at 155 for about 30 hours.

I use 130-135° for a longer period of time for the same reason that I cook my steak at 130°, IMHO, higher temperature diminishes the flavor of meat. I've done them at 130° for 72 hours and 145° for 36 hours, at 72 hours the flavor was very good but I did not particularly care for the texture, slightly mushy. For me, the sweet spot is 135° for 48 hours. I let it cool slightly before searing so that the final serving temperature is around 135°, medium rare brisket.
Ironically, the recipe I followed said they preferred 155 for 24 to 36 hours so I chose the middle time. It had a more traditional brisket texture to them. Mine was good, but a tad dry, but I expected that as it was a small portion  of a flat. They also liked 135 for 24 to 72 hours but it was more steak-like. They did not like it cooked at 145 and preferred either 135 or 155. I do plan to experiment and see what my family likes as a whole. Thank you for the suggestion. 135 for 48 hours will be my next try.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

hughver

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 05:16:55 PM »

BTW, I almost always put a pat or two of butter on top when I seal.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »

I only did one, I SV first at 135/48 then quick chill and into 180 smoker for 3 hours. It was good but not great, people liked it as it was almost all gone it was only 12# to start and I separated it. I did like the sliced leftovers browned in a bit og butter in a pan. I don't do brisket much because I don't have many around that eat it, they are great for chicken and pork.

LTS

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 08:22:49 PM »

Yes I have and it turned out GREAT !!!

Trim almost all the fat off Brisket
Salt
Pepper
Smoke on pellet grill for 3 hours at Low temp
Vac seal / double bag
Sous Vide for 62 hours at 145° ( I think 35 hours at 155 is better) I did the 35 hours and it worked fine
Remove and pat dry
Sear  I seared it on a 650 degree memphis pro and also used a gas hand held torch for the sides

It was wonderful , tasted smoky and grilled and moist and it was really good

LTS

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »

Now you've done it.  I'll also be trying it this weekend.  I think I've picked up from your posts that I should trim the fat heavily, which will be hard for me but I'm trusting your experiences.  Thanks a bunch for the suggested times and temps.

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »

So I bought a 15.5 lb prime packer, separated the point from the flat, and cut the flat in half for this first try.  About 5 lbs of fat was removed.  Then I coated my flat with dalmation rub and smoked for 3.5 hours.  After that I sealed it up with some butter and put it into the sous vide at 135 for 48 hours.  The countdown is on.

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 10:09:33 PM »

in the pot...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 11:06:35 PM »

interested in how this turns out
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up