Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fast Eddie Method with Baby Back Ribs??  (Read 2061 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Fast Eddie Method with Baby Back Ribs??
« on: June 23, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »

I have done this method for a few years with St. Louis style, but not Baby Backs.  I usually end up about 4 to 4 1/2 hours for them.  What is done different?  Apparently CookShack has changed it.  I have never smoke Baby Backs, so I want to make sure I do them right.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Fast Eddie Method with Baby Back Ribs??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 12:59:58 PM »

These were 3 hour 275° BB's and they were perfectly cooked and tender if you like ribs.

Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »

yep, 3 to 3.5 hours at 275 grate temp with lid closed the entire time
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:20:05 PM »

Those are some excellent looking ribs.  :lick:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Ross77

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 10:17:24 PM »

I need to try this method. I just won’t get much smoke flavor at 275. I’d have to use a tube for sure.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 07:39:47 AM »

In the past on a site I no longer have a presence on I posted a lot about this subject. For those of you who have GMG's and other brands with fire-pots directly below the grate's I highly suggest you forgo the brown sugar on the bone side (underneath) of the ribs to avoid burning or over-charring. I also suggest if you follow FE's recipe before you add the sugar to his rub recipe reserve enough for use on the bone side or you can use my favorite a very light sprinkle of Montreal Steak Seasoning, it makes for a subtle contrast when eating them awesome ribs.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 03:43:26 PM »

The Baby Back ribs turned out great.  I did a modified Fast Eddie method and used OakRidge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub instead.  I did not put anything on the bottom.  These racks where from Winn Dixie and I was surprised how meaty they were.  It was a buy one get one free sale which came to $2.99 a pound.  One rack was done at 3 hours and 15 minutes where the other rack was 3 hours and 30 minutes.  Even as good as they were I still prefer St. Louis style ribs being they are (IMHO) meatier.  Costco has the BB's for $2.79/lb and the SLS for $2.69/lb.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 03:52:13 PM »

I was under the impression that the FE method was just the time and temperature...The above ribs were not cooked with any FE rubs...I should have known there was more to it then just time and temp!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

gwilliams99

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 04:33:54 PM »

I use the FE method for St Louis Style ribs on my FEC 120.
I've considered trying the baby backs using the same method, but I have been reluctant to try. The FE method for me is tried and proven. I would hate to ruin a batch of the baby backs as an experiment. My primary concern for the baby backs as they will be dry due to the lower fat content as compared to the St Louis cut.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »

This was my concern also.  But by smoking them for 3 to 3 1/2 hours instead of 4 to 4 1/2 hours for the St. Louis style ribs they were great.  I also put my BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's) on at the 2 hours point.  I like my sauce cooked on instead of poured on at the end.

A few weeks ago my wife wanted to do ribs (St. Louis style) the 3-2-1 method which I did not due to the mess.  After she spilled the juices when unwrapping the ribs she changed her mind.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 06:10:15 PM »

Bentley, I guess you and I have been using a modified method since we don't use his rub.

I usually only cook baby back ribs because I don't like eating around the cartilage of the STL ribs.  I have cooked both using the same method just leave STL on for about an hour longer to render down the fat more.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 05:32:16 AM »

Part of the process is Brown Sugar overnight in the fridge this is a step that I don't do

I was under the impression that the FE method was just the time and temperature...The above ribs were not cooked with any FE rubs...I should have known there was more to it then just time and temp!
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

DE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 07:20:03 AM »

I have been using Eddies "modified version" Method, for about 5 years. I too, forgo the brown sugar overnight and also do not glaze or use sauce. Baby Backs from Costco and I have to say I have only had one bad rack and that was my fault. The rub as with any meat, is a flavor profile choice. I think the key is the 275 for 3 hours. The longest I have ever had to go was 3:15. So Bentley, your modified version if they flavor profile is what you like, then life is good! But your already knew that. For those using the Fast Eddies Championship rub, I am not sure the ingredients have not changed. At one time Eddie told me the sugar content so I could figure out Carbs for my grandson who has Type I and since the website changed a while back they now list ingredients and the sugar dramatically different. I haven't check this out with him but need to send an email to verify.

Go Baby Backs!

Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 07:34:12 AM »

Part of the process is Brown Sugar overnight in the fridge this is a step that I don't do

I did have my rub on overnight, but only the rub with no extra brown sugar.  This was the first time using the Dominator Sweet Rib rub and I wanted to see how it tasted without any modifications.  A lot of times the wife added more brown sugar to the rubs for a more sweeter taste.

GatorDave

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »

I did have my rub on overnight, but only the rub with no extra brown sugar.  This was the first time using the Dominator Sweet Rib rub and I wanted to see how it tasted without any modifications.  A lot of times the wife added more brown sugar to the rubs for a more sweeter taste.

How did the wife like the rub on those ribs?  It's definitely my favorite.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up