Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One Piece Drip Tray vs Two Piece Drip Trays on Daniel Boone Opinions?  (Read 3625 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas

As I keep reading more about the one piece drip tray I am tempted to try it.  My two piece has been working for me, but with some modifications I do whenever I smoke something.  My DB has always got the bottom of everything I smoke a little over done.  I made a second grate that I use for when I am smoking to keep the meat up from the heat some.  I also use a cheap perforated foil tray that I place on the original grates.  This spreads the heat out some more.  But I am now thinking how simple it would be to just use the single drip tray.  My Traeger Junior uses a single drip tray and I wrap it with foil.  I am assuming the new one piece tray is being wrapped with foil.

Being the one piece trays have been out for a little while I am wondering how they are doing vs the two piece trays?  I agree with some of the owner's comments in other threads that using both may be the best option. I would use the one piece for smoking and use the two piece for grilling. 
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.

I don't have a DB, but I do have a Davy Crockett and I switched to the 1-piece drip pan.  It cured all the heat issues (burnt bottoms, crispy edges).  Now the heat is super even throughout my DC.  The difference of the 1-piece in my DC cannot be overstated.  It was a significant difference and for me, turned my DC into a different smoker - for the better.

I truly believe the 2-piece the pans are problematic as I believe the holes permit hot air to penetrate the pans even in the "closed" position.  See my other posts on this board.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2550.0

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2510.msg34855#msg34855
Mak 1-Star, GMG Davy Crockett, Weber WSM & Various Kettles

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat

Yep, I think you're on to something here.  I saved my 1 piece pan from my JB, but I'm seriously contemplating getting a 1 piece for my DC as I do get a bit of the overdone bottom.  When the 2-piece is new, it's fine, but over time it warps and then it really doesn't function as a closed pan when you slide it shut.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.

I have the 2 piece tray but just use the bottom on my DB. I will put about 5 layers of foil on it and then after about 3-4 cooks I will peel the top layer off and I am good to go. Pretty slick and easy clean up. Mine hasn't warped, but then again, since I am not using the top one, maybe it has and I just don't know it.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.

A couple of pics of my use of aluminum foil on the 2 piece drip tray. I just use the bottom tray. Layer about 5 or so sheets of foil on it and then pull of each sheet when it gets dirty.  The attached sheet had at least 10 cooks on it. I am down to the last sheet. Took a couple of minutes to remove the tray and take the dirty sheet of foil off and reinstall. Pretty quick and easy.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas

I foiled the top tray a few times and it always held in grease on top instead of the grease draining out into the grease cup.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.

So, If you had to pick one, would you pick the 2 piece or the one piece drip tray.  I have that option right now.
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...

I had the regular steel tray on my DB and it was warped.  I think the guy I got it from did a lot of high heat cooks.  I got the two piece after it came out thinking it would work better and boy howdy was I wrong.  I didn't much care for it and went back to the one piece even though it was warped.  I don't bother foiling the tray and the one piece is much easier to clean.  I never did bother getting a new one.  My neighbor has the pit right now and is trying it to see if they like it because he is thinking about buying it.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

zueth

• Using less gas.
Re: One Piece Drip Tray vs Two Piece Drip Trays on Daniel Boone Opinions?
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 11:34:17 AM »

I had the 2 piece and hated it, went back to the 1 piece and much better. I modified the one piece so I can slide all the way to the right, it helps with even heat distribution. I don’t bother to cover in foil, the drippings scrape right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up