Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marinating Process  (Read 674 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Marinating Process
« on: July 23, 2018, 07:58:46 PM »

I often brine but rarely marinate anything.  I don't think I'm doing it properly 'cause my results are horrible.

For instance, tonight I marinated chicken breasts and grilled them on my pit's direct zone.
     â€¢  I put each breast half in a baggy and pounded them to a uniform thickness of about ½ inch.
     â€¢  They all went into another baggy with a bottle of Italian marinade.
     â€¢  The instructions on the bottle said to marinate them for 30 minutes, discard the marinade and grill them.
     â€¢  I wondered if I should blot them dry or even rinse them but didn't do either 'cause the instructions didn't say to do so.
     â€¢  It took them forever to dry so that the surface could acquire some color.
     â€¢  I flipped them a couple of times and took them off of the grill when the IT was 160°.
     â€¢  They were tough on the exterior and dry on the interior.

It was disappointing.  Leftovers may be diced small for chicken salad.  That may salvage them.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Marinating Process
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »

I put chicken breasts in Lawry's Caribbean Jerk marinade and leave it in the fridge overnight.  Cook on pellet grill at 275 for about an hour or so until they hit 160.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dk117

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 08:40:21 PM »

Those 30 minute marinades.  Some have really great flavor ... after a few days of marinading.  The longer the better (within reason, under a week) has been my experi nice.   Two to three days is my average.   I like to throw in dry rub first.   Marinade second. 

DK

MysticRhythms

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 08:59:10 PM »

I have had similar results with 30 minute chicken marinades.
I have better results with a brine or just regular old BBQ sauce but we typically don't want the overwhelming flavor of BBQ sauce.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »

When you marinate something, do you put it on the grill wet with the marinade clinging or do you blot it dry or something?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:41 PM »

When you marinate something, do you put it on the grill wet with the marinade clinging or do you blot it dry or something?

wet right out of the container to grill
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »

In fact, last time I cooked some I sliced up the chicken breasts for more marinade coverage and they were the best one's we ever had.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any finished picks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up