Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eye of Round  (Read 1035 times)

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Eye of Round
« on: August 03, 2018, 09:52:05 AM »

Just purchased a 8 lb Eye of Round from Sam's Club for $2.50 lb, which was $.40 cheaper than a choice brisket. I have never smoked one of these before so I am asking for some feed back.  Read on a couple of sites to get the internal temp up to around 125 and that it should take at least a couple of hours at 250 temp. Any help would be appreciated. TIA!!

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Re: Eye of Round
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »

I am kind of in the same boat, found a smaller one (2 1/2 lbs) tucked away in the freezer the other day. I thawed it, even though I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I ended up keeping it simple and just put some rub on it and tossed it in the smoker at around 225-250 or so. It has been on for about 45 minutes so far. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out if you will do the same!!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »

Not a lot of flavor and very lean, rare is a great suggestion.  To me it is really not a meat for, how to put this...I cant find the wording.  For my taste it is a great sandwich meat, or sliced fairly thin raw, then long marinade and quick grill and used for Mexican dishes.  French Dip, Italian Beef, Cheese steak.  I think to appreciate the "tenderness" it needs to be slice so thin.  We have used it for Aux. dinners at the Fire House, but it is then served with a very rich brown gravy.

How you get to 125-130* I am not sure is that important.  I guess it depends on how you like the exterior of your meat!  If it was me, a good char for about 5 minutes a side at 500* and then 350 till it hits about 115*, pull it and rest it!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 03:56:28 PM »

Just watched a Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives where they were making hot roast beef sandwich po' boys.  Used a huge round of beef, chunked it and boiled for about an hour and a half.  Then sliced thin and made a really rich and flavorful gravy, put the slices in a roasting pan, poured the gravy over, covered and in the oven at a low temp for about an hour (I think).  Took it out -  falling apart tender and gravy looked like it had infused the meat and made the sandwich  Looked pretty tasty. 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 04:47:52 PM »

smoke on pellet grill for an hour and then sous vide to hit the temp you want.  slice really thin after cooling.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 12:43:14 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on the sandwich possibilities. As Bentley mentioned earlier, the eye of round was very lean. I ended up slicing it for wraps with sauteed mushrooms and onions.

I took it to "Picnic Pops" with the Grand Rapids Symphony. It was an outdoor concert at a ski resort. They let you bring in food and beverages before the show. My daughter is an intern for the symphony and got tickets for me, my mom, sister, and son. It was a great night of food and music with family.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 07:17:58 AM »

great stuff all around there...food, family, music, etc.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dozer996

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on the sandwich possibilities. As Bentley mentioned earlier, the eye of round was very lean. I ended up slicing it for wraps with sauteed mushrooms and onions.

I took it to "Picnic Pops" with the Grand Rapids Symphony. It was an outdoor concert at a ski resort. They let you bring in food and beverages before the show. My daughter is an intern for the symphony and got tickets for me, my mom, sister, and son. It was a great night of food and music with family.

We live a mile away from Cannonsburg and can hear the Picnic Pops every weekend they are playing!!! Good times and food!!!

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 04:17:08 PM »

Very, very nice. That looks like a great time.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 04:35:01 PM »

That is a Fine outdoor meal right there!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 08:10:06 AM »

Update.... I started at 150 for an hour, bumped to 250 for an hour and a half, then at 300 for 45 minutes. I pulled with an internal temp of 150 and another 20 minutes on the gasser to get more sear on it covered in foil and let it rest for 15 minutes. It turned out great!! You could tear it apart with a fork. Lots of juice and flavor. Just seasoned with kosher salt and restaurant grade black pepper.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »

Looks mighty good.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 11:38:36 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up