Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Labor Day Babybacks  (Read 434 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Labor Day Babybacks
« on: September 03, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »

Made 2 racks of Babybacks for Labor Day. First added a mustard moisturizer and a light homemade rub.  Smoked at 175 for a half hour, then cooked at 235 uncovered for two hours, pulled and added a wrapping mixture of honey, brown sugar and apple cider, then wrapped in foil and cooked for an additional hour with meat side down first half hour and then flipped.  Took off the grill and let rest 20 minutes in the foil.  Then added another light coating  the rub and cooked meat side-up an additional half hour.    Took off grill, raised the temperature to 275 added the sauce and cooked an additional 24 minutes to tighten up the sauce.  Cut them up and then there were none.  Here are pictures of the steps along the way.

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Labor Day Babybacks
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 07:21:48 AM »

Yessir!
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 07:29:50 AM »

Someone ate good  :lick:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »

Nice pictorial... How was the taste and tenderness?

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »

How was the taste and tenderness?

First let me state up front I am biased about my cooking and baking.  However everything was great and I guess the true test is there were none left over for snacks as the three of us ate them all at dinner. 

I usually have more then one rub and ultimately I combine them into one.  One was a more traditional rub and the other was a curry rub.  They actually went well together.  This time I also went relatively  light on the rub so no one flavor over dominated, neither to hot or to sweet.  There was a bit of a bite to the ribs as I am not a fan of true fall off the bone ribs. 

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 12:55:26 PM »

How was the taste and tenderness?

First let me state up front I am biased about my cooking and baking.  However everything was great and I guess the true test is there were none left over for snacks as the three of us ate them all at dinner. 

I usually have more then one rub and ultimately I combine them into one.  One was a more traditional rub and the other was a curry rub.  They actually went well together.  This time I also went relatively  light on the rub so no one flavor over dominated, neither to hot or to sweet.  There was a bit of a bite to the ribs as I am not a fan of true fall off the bone ribs.
TKX - That is what it's about. The food..I don't like overdone, falling off the bone either.

urnmor

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 01:39:50 PM »

I don't like overdone, falling off the bone either.

I am not sure for how much longer as I turn 74 on the 7th so I suspect I  may be gumming my food soon :rotf:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »

Not to imply you were not pleased with the cook...If I am not pleased with the cook, if this happens, I am not as upset!

...and I guess the true test is there were none left over for snacks as the three of us ate them all at dinner. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:18:30 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

urnmor

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 02:32:17 PM »

Not to imply you were not pleased with the cook...If I am not pleased with the cook, if this happens, I am not as upset!

You may have misunderstood my post.  I was not all upset with the cook.  The ribs were great.  I was referring to as we get older we may have to have fall off the bone ribs because we may be gumming them then. :)

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »

Great looking ribs urnmor, and even better they were enjoyed...was there a fight for the last bone?  Interesting twist using a traditional mixed with curry rub .  Thanks for sharing your cook and another interesting way to season ribs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up