Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quilts  (Read 938 times)

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Quilts
« on: September 22, 2019, 10:12:41 PM »

My young bride and I will soon be married for 20 years.  We bought a wedding ring quilt on our honeymoon in Fredericksburg TX which she loaned to her sister for some reason knowing she trashes everything.  It died a sad death.  I want to get another one for our anniversary.  Do any of y'all know of a place to get one besides the big names on the internet?

Thanks,

BP
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Quilts
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 10:31:35 PM »

Out of my price range, but the best quality hand made Quilts I have ever seen come from the Amish.

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 11:05:54 PM »

Go to your local Quilt shop and ask them other than that go to Etsy.com site and do a search and it gives you lots of smaller named shops that have them from $$$$ to $$...Wife makes a lot of quilts but I have never saw that style before.

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Brushpopper

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:42:06 AM »

Out of my price range, but the best quality hand made Quilts I have ever seen come from the Amish.

I've found some nice ones but OUCH!  That's a lot of $$ for a blanket and it doesn't get as cold here as it does in their part of the country.

Go to your local Quilt shop and ask them other than that go to Etsy.com site and do a search and it gives you lots of smaller named shops that have them from $$$$ to $$...Wife makes a lot of quilts but I have never saw that style before.

Mudflap

We don't have a local place to my knowledge but I'm going to look on Etsy.  Thanks y'all!!
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »

Won't support anything Amish, they run huge puppy mills and should be shutdown. :2cents:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »

The Mennonites also make lovely quilts.  Every year in the Central Valley of California, they have ahuge sale as a fundraiser and those quilts make a lot of money.  It is a dying craft and I would think a replacement could get very pricey because so much labor involved.

Brushpopper

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 04:38:53 PM »

It is a dying craft and I would think a replacement could get very pricey because so much labor involved.

I helped my older sister make a small one when she was in high school and I was eight or nine because there wasn't anything else to do.  It took forever seems like.  I wonder where it is now.  Hope she still has it.

The first time my dad came to visit us after we got married I showed him the quilt on our bed.  First thing he said was "I ain't seen a wedding ring quilt since I was a boy."  I never knew he used to help his mom and six sisters make them.  He said they'd turn on the radio and lower the quilting rack from above the kitchen table and start quilting every night.  Didn't have anything else to do in the '30s in Falfurrias TX. 

We're pushing 100 degrees here today, so a quilt isn't a priority in these parts.  But winter is coming.

Brushpopper

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 08:05:27 AM »

My wife is a Quilter and every 6 months we make day trips to local quilt shops.  I'm in Central Florida and we probably have 30 quilt shops within 2 hours of the house.   I have seen a Wedding Band Quilt and they sure catch your eye.  If you can find a quilt shop they can at least point you in the right direction so it's worth looking hard for one.

The bad news is that hand made quilts are expensive.  The cheapest available are (cough cough) Asian imports and their bed size quilt ain't cheap.  My wife did a Queen size quilt.  She cut and sewed all of the fabric pieces together and had over 100 hours of work in it.  For physical reasons we had to have someone do the Quilting stitch to finish the Quilt.  $360 for that alone. OUCH!

Wish I could be more help.  Good Luck.

Y'all are about the same latitude as us then, so there is hope that I can find a handmade one even in the warmer part of the country.  I just need to find someone who makes them.  Google has been no help so far.  We have an embroidery place and I'll check with them about a place to look.  Like most things, I just need to look in the right place.  Thanks!!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 08:17:39 AM »

If you have any sewing stores nearby, or even a big chain like Anna's, they may be able to provide leads to quilters in your area.

Edit -- sorry JoAnna's
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:14:15 PM by Kristin Meredith »

Brushpopper

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 10:14:08 AM »

The place I'm going to go by is called Threads, so I hope they will know if there is anyone around here.

Brushpopper

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 09:43:55 AM »

Will do.  Thanks!

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 04:19:02 PM »

I sent you a PM. There are some women in our area that are part of a very tight knit quilting group. About four times a year they go to Shipshewana, IN for a week at a time to work on quilts. This has gone on for decades and a second generation group has started. I think it has been an amazing support group for each of the women who participate. I have been told on several occasions never to ask what goes on in the group. What goes on in Shipsee stays in Shipsee! I can check and see if someone might have a lead on where to find what you are looking for.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio
Pages: [1]   Go Up