Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EEE  (Read 894 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
EEE
« on: September 27, 2019, 09:58:19 PM »

It is kind of weird. Up until a few weeks ago I would have thought of EEE as a shoe size and not a deadly equine virus. There has recently been an outbreak in the area where I live. I think around a dozen people have become ill, over two dozen animal cases confirmed (including several horses and deer along with two wolf pups at a zoo). At least three people have died. Our county was one of the first to be affected. One person that died lived just a couple of miles from my home. I did not know him, but knew of him. He was healthy until he was bitten by a mosquito.

Most everyone now stays inside from dusk till dawn. All outside school activities, including sporting events, start at 5 p.m. so they can conclude before the bugs come out. I was talking with a guy tonight that was lamenting the fact he hasn’t been able to BBQ because he doesn’t want to go out at night.

I have to admit it is kind of scary. However, it also makes me realize that we are lucky to live in a country where this kind of disease is the rare exception and not the rule. It is a reminder of what people in many third world countries are consistently battling against. This weekend they will be sending out airplanes to spray much of the affected area, but there will probably be a risk until the first freeze. Please keep the families of those who have been infected in your thoughts and prayers.

"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: EEE
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »

Wow! what the heck is going on? Just so many new diseases in the last few years that have come out of nowhere. Whats next? Best to not know perhaps.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »

Must be due to global warming.  ;)
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:58:52 PM »

Wow! what the heck is going on? Just so many new diseases in the last few years that have come out of nowhere. Whats next? Best to not know perhaps.

I was surprised to find out that the disease is not new at all. I found an artical that states: EEE probably evolved in South America and arrived in North America at least 1,500 years ago and ikely origonated in the Amazon Basin in South America. EEE is closely related to other viruses that primarily live in rodents, so Weaver thinks this virus likely first evolved in rodents and eventually jumped into song birds, which are its primary hosts today.

They are sending out cropdusters tonight to spray our area for mosquitoes. A lot of worried people on the community facebook page. I actually just heard the plane going overhead and it is kind of an eerie feeling.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 12:42:08 AM »

Stay safe. I feel for your area living in fear of a mosquito bite.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 09:54:07 PM »

Must be due to global warming.  ;)

I realize this is a jest but in all seriousness, this is a predicted problem. I am not a sky is falling type of person but it was an article I read. Whether man-made global warming is real or climate change is just a cycle of the earth we don't fully understand yet I don't know and don't venture to guess. But there are bacteria encapsulated in the melting ice that we are unprepared for. These could be diseases and viruses that no one has been exposed to in hundreds if not thousands of years. Kind of fascinating really. Perhaps it is a cycle and buried are extinction causing viruses that only show up every few millennia. There is a story in the article below where a frozen reindeer carcass was uncovered by melting permafrost and Anthrax was released from its corpse into the water stream. 

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170504-there-are-diseases-hidden-in-ice-and-they-are-waking-up
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 10:01:25 PM »

LMK how soon you guys think the world is going to end from a new plague so I can decide whether I should start spending all of my money now rather than waiting for retirement.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

MikeMcQ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 10:33:41 PM »

LMK how soon you guys think the world is going to end from a new plague so I can decide whether I should start spending all of my money now rather than waiting for retirement.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 10:34:27 PM »

I'd hold on to it for now.  :)
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,
Pages: [1]   Go Up