Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotness scale  (Read 3337 times)

KeithG

• Using less gas.
Re: Hotness scale
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 11:51:05 AM »

I'm beginning to question if this is work worth doing.

Probably, most members can look at a recipe and have a good idea of the heat level.  I may develop that skill as I gain experience.
I guess I missed the point that you were only talking about commercial products.  Don’t know about anyone else but I only have 2 or 3 on hand at any given time. They would be Huy Fong Siracha, Frank’s and Tabasco. I have had other brands of siracha and they had a different flavor and heat profile.
RecTec RT-680, WSM 18, MES30, Weber Genesis

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 12:04:37 PM »

I have a few more than 3 sauces not including a few in my basement or in the fridge.

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »

I guess I missed the point that you were only talking about commercial products. 

That wasn't very clear.

Don’t know about anyone else but I only have 2 or 3 on hand at any given time. They would be Huy Fong Siracha, Frank’s and Tabasco. I have had other brands of siracha and they had a different flavor and heat profile.

:)  I didn't know that there are other brands.  Huy Fong is the only one I see around here.

Although I did see this on a High Zoot car.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »

Like KiethG said jalapeño heat is a xxxx shoot, you never know what you're gonna get from pepper to pepper.   I've had jalapeños that were more like green peppers and I've had some that were more like habanero's.   The hottest I've grown personally were Fatali's. Picked one in the greenhouse and almost took a bite out of the tip but decided to wait till I was in the kitchen where the milk was.   Good plan!!!  Was talking to my cousin sometime later and she told me Fatali was Moroccan for "fatal".   Believe I'll stick to habanero's myself. :P
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »

I have a few more than 3 sauces not including a few in my basement or in the fridge.

Holy cow, I'm a thinking you like the hotter side of things.
That'd last me 20 years.
I do have to ask though, while I was snooping in your cupboard I noticed the Franks Stinging Honey Garlic, is that worth a darn?
I do like Franks regular.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2018, 01:56:27 PM »

The Frank's stingin honey garlic worked great as a marinade for jerky.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2018, 02:07:36 PM »

The Frank's stingin honey garlic worked great as a marinade for jerky.
That is exactly what I was thinking and why I asked.

KeithG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »

pmillen,
During a power outage at our house last year we were staying with my sister in-law. Since my wife was bringing home fish fries with sweet potato fries I offered to make up some of my dipping sauce for sweet potato fries that includes siracha. I asked my sister in-law if she had any and she pulled out a bottle of green sauce labeled siracha. Didn’t taste like Huy Fong, almost no heat and gave the dipping sauce a funky taste that wasn’t pleasant.

Bar-B-Lew most stores around here carry fewer brands than you have!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2018, 02:34:24 PM »

Lol...I would use 2 tbsp in a taco!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2018, 02:59:09 PM »

I travel to some different states sometime and try to go to local grocery store to see what spices, marinades, BBQ sauces, and hot sauces they have that are different and look interesting.  I also have other friends and family members who like to experiment like I do and we are always on the lookout for something new and different or on sale.  Thus, when I get stuck traveling and don't get to cook for a while, I end up with a pantry full of stuff.  I hope 2019 is a better year for having time and desire to cook more frequently.

BTW, that Frank's stinging sauce was only about $1 after the sale price and coupon attached to the bottle which is why I have about 5 bottles.  I won't use it on anything but jerky as I am not a big fan of the Asian flavors.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »

I guess I am not understanding if you use multiple peoples input for the scale or not?

I see another use for your suggestion—a consensus on where to place the the benchmark(s) for placing recipes or other products.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

slickyboyboo

• Lurker
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2018, 10:43:44 AM »

I am finding this thread interesting. We grow chlil’s every year.  The majority are jalapeños and serrano’s. Beginning of the season this year neither had any heat at all, more like a green bell pepper with jalapeño or Serrano flavor.  End of season they would burn a whole through your tongue. We had several hundred to harvest after the first frost. Used as many as we could fresh, then I turned the rest into hot sauce.

My experience has been habanero have an excellent flavor when used in moderation. I’ve had a mango habanero salsa that had very little habanero in it, there was only a tiny amount of heat, but you could taste the chili’s flavor.

Years ago we were in Barbados and their local hot sauce is made with scotch bonnets. It is delicious with a tolerable heat level.  We liked it so much we brought a half dozen bottles home with us.

So I think a hotness scale would be difficult because how a pepper is used creates a wide range of hotness. I am old enough to know better than to pop a high scoville unit pepper into my mouth to see if I can take the heat.  I’ll leave that to the younger folks.

My early season peppers are always mild, that is usually because the first round of peppers are usually babied and tend to get plenty of water and very little stress. Putting pepper plants under stress is what will  make your peppers hot. On into the summer, I will wait until my pepper plants start to just slightly wilt from lack of water, putting them under a slight stress, then I will water them as usual. This makes for some great hot peppers.

On you note about the flavor of Habaneros, I bought some Habanada seeds to grow this next season. Habanadas were developed at Cornell University, they are a Habanero with zero heat, but all of the Habanero flavor. Should be great for boosting the flavor of salsas without the added extra heat.

KeithG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »

I saw those heat less habaneros were available. Be interested to hear how they work out.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »

I read that sauces made with ghost peppers from India are the hottest, up to 3 million scoville units.  :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 12:56:53 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2018, 01:20:35 PM »

I read that sauces made with ghost peppers from India are the hottest, up to 3 million scoville units.  :P

The Carolina Reaper is currently ranked as the hottest pepper.  However, the guy that developed it already has another one he has made but has yet to release that is significantly hotter than the Reaper from what I have read.  He doesn't want to release his pepper until someone else makes something hotter than the Reaper.  It has turned into quite a game of cat and mouse over the years.  I don't eat raw peppers above a jalapeno fresh, but will try hot sauces up to around the 2 million scoville levels.  Have not found much of anything that has ghost pepper or carolina reaper that I like the flavor of and when combined with the extreme heat it is horrible to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up