Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ossobucco Silverskin  (Read 2332 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Ossobucco Silverskin
« on: December 05, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »

I have ossobucco simmering on my kitchen range.  It's really just beef shank steaks slow-cooked in tomato gravy.  It's the first time I've made it and I was surprised at the amount of silverskin around the entire piece and between the muscles.

The recipe I'm using didn't call for removing the silver skin, and the photographs show the whole steak cooking, not the separated muscles.  But I tediously removed all that I could because of my experience with it on other beef cuts.

So...to those of you who have cooked ossobucco, should I have not removed the silver skin and left the steaks whole?  Does the hours of simmering make the silver skin palatable?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Re: Ossobucco Silverskin
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »

It probably would not hurt to remove it as it will impair the flavor if left on.  I always buy mine from my butcher and it is removed.  You might also want to think about tying it so the meat does not fall off the bone until you serve it.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 05:15:12 PM »

I usually pressure cook or SV (155/48) shank meat. I will cut or slice through it in spots so it doesn't shrink and curl up the meat. I have never cook Ossobucco, so I can not comment on it.  It does break down to edible the way I do them.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 08:05:27 PM »

I took this photograph off of an Internet catalog of boilerplate photographs.  Two of the three shank steaks appear to have the surrounding silverskin replaced with twine per urnmor's suggestion.

The ossobucco was fall off the bone and pretty darn good.  If I left any silverskin, it was cooked away by simmering for five hours.  I'll replace the silverskin wrap with twine the next time I make it, but I won't mess with any internal silverskin.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 09:14:29 PM »

wondering what sides you had I usually have risotto and a vegetable along with a great glass of wine

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 09:31:40 AM »

wondering what sides you had I usually have risotto and a vegetable along with a great glass of wine

It was served with mashed potatoes, pan-seared Brussels sprouts, lentil cucumber salad and Petite Sirah.
Paul

urnmor

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »

It is a shame I do not live closer as I would definitely be over for dinner as it sounds delicious

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 02:36:10 PM »

Slowww cooking like a pork butt or chuck roast reduces that silverskin to gelatin and other good flavors. 

Leave it on. 
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

SJeP

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »

I agree! It appears we may have a chef in our humble community!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up