Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Making Duchess Potatoes Tonight  (Read 906 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Making Duchess Potatoes Tonight
« on: December 24, 2019, 09:47:32 AM »

So, we are having our "fancy" Christmas dinner tonight and I have decided to make "fancy" mashed potatoes!  So I am going to try duchess potatoes for the first time.  Hope they turn out something like the pictures on line.  Either way, I will post a picture.

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
Re: Making Duchess Potatoes Tonight
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »

Had to google "duchess potatoes" very fancy. Can't wait to see the photos. Hope they turn out well. Do you use a ricer to "mash" them? Wife and I went from hand smasher to mash them to power mixer to essentially whip them (how my mom always did it) but now we use a ricer. It is really the best way to do potatoes (my opinion of course).
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »

I would like to use a ricer, but I don't have one.  And I have reached the point in life that I am trying to get rid of stuff, not acquire more.  Plus, Bentley gets enough kitchen toys ever year for the both of us.  So, they will probably not be as smooth as a ricer, but I will try!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »

I had no idea that such a thing exists.  (I'm from the low end of the culture curve.)  I am anxious to see the results and read Bentley's opinion.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »

I've had them somewhere and they were really good.  I enjoyed the crust on the outside and the soft filling on the inside.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 01:24:24 PM »

Thanks for the post Kristin, I too have never heard of them. After a little research, I decided that these are exactly what I was looking for to serve something different this weekend. Since I'm a firm believer that he/she who has the most toys at the end wins, I immediately when onto Amazon and bought a ricer and a cake decorating set.   ;D
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 01:29:23 PM »

Houghver, I think we'd get along nicely.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 01:29:56 PM »

these absolutely fit the bill for fancy!   My daughters made these last year for a family inbetweener (in between Christmas and New Years.)  Turned out pretty good, and well received by everyone.   Yet as often is the definition of fancy, great presentation, not necessarily worth the effort.    Perfect for special occasions.

Looking forward to the finished pics.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2024 Napoleon Phantom 500 Prestige

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 02:16:43 PM »

Well, a ricer would make a big difference to the texture that is for sure!  I have them piped and in the frig. I have no piping skills, but gave it the old college try.  I saw two fifferent versions -- a rosette design and a "star" type design.  I think I like the rosette better if I could master it a bit.  Tonight will brush with a little cream, then into a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes and see how the final result comes out.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »

Since I'm a firm believer that he/she who has the most toys at the end wins, I immediately when onto Amazon and bought a ricer and a cake decorating set.   ;D

You will not regret this purchase. Ricer is such a potatoes game changer when it comes to texture. That and having way more butter in there than you think you need!
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

hughver

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 03:14:47 PM »

Tonight will brush with a little cream

The version that I planned to use brushed with butter. Does one work better than the other?   ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »

The only thing I could think is the cream might have more sugar in it and would brown a little better...but just a guess.  For taste I would have to think butter is the better option.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 04:16:30 PM »

Tonight will brush with a little cream

The version that I planned to use brushed with butter. Does one work better than the other?   ???

One version I read said to use egg wash, one said cream.  I know egg wash will probably brown better, but when I have baked pies and don't want to bother with egg wash, I use whole milk or cream on the crust to brown and give a shine.  That's why I decided to go with the cream.

hughver

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 07:15:47 PM »

Even though I do not have the ricer or the decorating device yet, I went ahead and tried Duchess Potatoes for supper tonight.  I put the potatoes in a small casserole dish, made some peaks with a fork and basted half with butter and half with cream. The left half was cream. Browning seems to be about the same. Not to see how it taste.  ::)

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »

Even though I do not have the ricer or the decorating device yet, I went ahead and tried Duchess Potatoes for supper tonight.  I put the potatoes in a small casserole dish, made some peaks with a fork and basted half with butter and half with cream. The left half was cream. Browning seems to be about the same. Not to see how it taste.  ::)
Now that looks like something I would like. Those little rosettes just remind me of overpriced meals that I have had at expensive restaurants that give you tiny sampler of food and call it a main dish. Good job with taking a hoity-toity dish and making it practical!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up