Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frozen Baby Back Ribs  (Read 636 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Frozen Baby Back Ribs
« on: December 28, 2019, 01:20:55 PM »

Time to do ribs, I have 3 racks of baby back ribs in the freezer, what do you think about putting seasoned frozen ribs directly on the smoker?   ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: Frozen Baby Back Ribs
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 02:50:49 PM »

I've had virtually no difference in final outcome when doing this way. It really doesn't take much longer either. If in doubt though, baby backs in a sink full of coolish water would take no time to defrost.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 03:03:14 PM »

I concur...
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »

My mom used to throw frozen meat in a skillet and start cooking it.  It never was a good cut of meat because she wouldn't splurge on anything expensive.  Her theory was the fire would thaw it out.  Seems it always tasted good even if it was a little tough.  We didn't know any better until we became adults and started doing our own cooking and buying better cuts of meat.  I just don't know how long frozen ribs would take on the grill.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 04:08:25 PM »

Do you mean Canadian ribs??  Couldn't resist..

If you have the time, smoke 1ST @ a low temp just enough to thaw the outside so it accepts the rub or seasonings. Then either continue w/ low + slow, or cook up to @ 325º 'till done - passes the bend test.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 11:27:04 AM »

My mom would take rump roast from the freezer, salt and pepper and put in the oven.  I've done ribs quite a few times this way. Just salt and pepper. and 150 for an hour. I will flip them after around 2.5 hours and season the bone side. They've always turned out well!!

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 12:34:21 PM »

Thanks for the inputs, the temperature here in AZ. is cool and among my other concerns, was the time that the ribs would be in the danger zone. I normally cook ribs at 150° for the first hour then raise to 225° for two hours, with that sequence, I was not sure whether or not the frozen ribs would be between 40° and 130° for more than two hours. I assume from the comments that the other factors, smoke flavor, bark, texture, etc., would not be adversely affected by the frozen status.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 09:09:31 AM »

Thanks for the inputs, the temperature here in AZ. is cool and among my other concerns, was the time that the ribs would be in the danger zone. I normally cook ribs at 150° for the first hour then raise to 225° for two hours, with that sequence, I was not sure whether or not the frozen ribs would be between 40° and 130° for more than two hours. I assume from the comments that the other factors, smoke flavor, bark, texture, etc., would not be adversely affected by the frozen status.
. I would not be concerned about the danger zone in a heavy smoke environment...The proper done temperature will take the ribe above the pasteurization point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up