Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Dec 2017
  • Bit of mixed reviews here regarding like/dislike.  Will certainly ponder this for awhile before making a decision to buy one.
  • #17 by smokin soon on 26 Dec 2017
  • Cusinart and Breville both make Countertop Ovens with airfry settings. Both have good reviews. The Breville has a couple of cool features like dehydrate and bread proof settings.
  • #18 by BigDave83 on 26 Dec 2017
  • I like that breville air oven or whatever it is called. I have had the smart oven for several years and it has gotten a lot of use. I see Nuwave is also making some sort of air oven.
  • #19 by Big Bear on 29 Dec 2017
  • I bought a GoWise Air Fryer some time back now.  I like Tater Tots and other types foods you would fry in oil. I just don't like messing with all the oil in deep fryers. I find it does a great job on the tots, any breaded product like chicken strips etc. I have cooked fresh chicken thighs, pork chops & frozen hamburger patties. I have even done a grilled cheese sandwich once, It worked but cast iron is better for those. I am a single person so though the fryer isn't big enough to cook a lot of food I can get a single meal done all at once and generally around 15 minute cooking time. I am always experimenting with it to find other things to cook. For the amount of food it can cook it does take up a little real estate in the kitchen, but then I got a microwave too, and I cook less in that. I find it convenient.
  • #20 by Quadman750 on 30 Dec 2017
  • I have this one & like it
  • #21 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Dec 2017
  • Quadman, what do you cook in it?
  • #22 by Quadman750 on 30 Dec 2017
  • Mostly just chicken wings,
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Dec 2017
  • Mostly just chicken wings,

How many can fit in at one time?
  • #24 by Quadman750 on 30 Dec 2017
  • I think I put about a dozen full wings in with the tips attached
  • #25 by Chris__M on 30 Dec 2017
  • I think there are so many different opinions, simply because there are so many devices that describe themselves as air-fryers that do the job to varying degrees of good or bad.

I had been looking at them for a while - mainly the Tefal Acti-Fry - but was put off by the small amount they seemed to cook for the large top-space they took up. Also the price, which I'd be happy to pay, but only if I knew I would use it.

So I gave up on the idea, until this year, during Black Friday, where I picked up a Blusmart Power AirFry from Amazon. A brand I hadn't heard of, but the price was right (half of anything I had seen) and the capacity seemed decent (3.2 litres). I looked at the reviews and decided to chance it.

My Air Fryer sits upright, so takes up less top space than many. It certainly isn't rocket science - it is simply a very small fan oven. However, it does do the job brilliantly. I've been cooking chips (fries to you you guys), battered fish (frozen), pies, etc. I even found that a cake tin I had fitted with an inch all round, and successfully cooked chocolate brownies in it.

There is nothing I have cooked in it that I couldn't cook in my oven. But because I am often cooking for one, it makes more sense than heating up the whole oven for just a piece of fish and portion of chips.

And - unlike other folks experiences here - it is quick. The instructions recommend you turn it on empty for 3 minutes  before putting food in it. But once heated up, I can do a piece of fish, fries and onion rings for one (all from frozen) in about 12-14 minutes. I don't think that is unreasonable. The chips are nice and crispy on the outside, while soft inside. The fish is exactly as I would expect it out of an oven - not like traditional deep-fried fish in batter, but quite acceptable as a quick meal grabbed out of the freezer.
  • #26 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Dec 2018
  • I bit the bullet on two of these when Amazon had a big sale this summer.  Finally used one for the first time on Sunday.  I think I am going to like it for french fries and pierogies at a minimum.  Going to try frying some peppers and onions for sausages in it too.
Pages:
Actions