Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Not so well known iconic state dishes.  (Read 5921 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Not so well known iconic state dishes.
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »

I just saw an article on the USA today app. It was 50 iconic dishes from 50 states. Most were pretty commonly associated items with that state, and I would imagine most people would know. There were a handful I had never heard of though, which got me thinking we could make our own pelletfan list from your state.

The one that most interested me that I hadn't seen before was Idaho finger steaks. Supposedly top sirloin fingers deep fried in tempura like batter. They looked good.

The easy route for Indiana is the tenderloin sandwich. I live sort of near Amish country, so my not so well nomination would be beef or chicken n' noodles. It's a double starch dish that seemed perfectly normal to me growing up, but has got some strange comments when I realized the rest of the country doesn't always top their mashed potaotes with egg noodle pasta.

So this is basically a thin roux based gravy with vegetables, shredded beef or chicken, and egg noodles that is then ladled over the top of a pile of mashed potatoes. Can't get much more comforting than that.

Not my pic, but sort of like this

So let's get some other states represented. What's yours?

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
Re: Not so well known iconic state dishes.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »

The Red Steer used to sell those besides the regular burger fare...
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:18:47 PM »

Dr. Atkins just rolled over in his grave.  You mentioned Idaho already, don't know if its iconic to Idaho but a loaded baked potato might be unique here, typically a plate sized russet with enough butter, sour cream, bacon and chives to sink a ship, or your arteries
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:34:22 PM by GrillinGlen »
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:56:25 PM »

I spose the choice for Warshington would be cedar planked salmon. 60 years later, I've never tried it.  ::)

I'd say there are too many choices in the seafood category alone. We're just not very good at beef, pork, chicken...

Tops for me is Dungeness crab. 
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

TLK

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »

I saw that article.  I guess its hard to pick just one item.  Originally from Buffalo, NY so I was happy to see Duff's chicken wings there although beef on weck would be another excellent choice.  Been in Ohio past 20 years and they selected chili from Cincinnati which (I guess) isn't the worst choice.  Hard to pick just one item per state.
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:15:41 PM »

I just saw an article on the USA today app. It was 50 iconic dishes from 50 states. Most were pretty commonly associated items with that state, and I would imagine most people would know. There were a handful I had never heard of though, which got me thinking we could make our own pelletfan list from your state.

The one that most interested me that I hadn't seen before was Idaho finger steaks. Supposedly top sirloin fingers deep fried in tempura like batter. They looked good.

The easy route for Indiana is the tenderloin sandwich. I live sort of near Amish country, so my not so well nomination would be beef or chicken n' noodles. It's a double starch dish that seemed perfectly normal to me growing up, but has got some strange comments when I realized the rest of the country doesn't always top their mashed potaotes with egg noodle pasta.

So this is basically a thin roux based gravy with vegetables, shredded beef or chicken, and egg noodles that is then ladled over the top of a pile of mashed potatoes. Can't get much more comforting than that.

Not my pic, but sort of like this

So let's get some other states represented. What's yours?

Looks like our chicken and noodles  :clap:
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:49:41 PM »

I saw that article.  I guess its hard to pick just one item.  Originally from Buffalo, NY so I was happy to see Duff's chicken wings there although beef on weck would be another excellent choice.  Been in Ohio past 20 years and they selected chili from Cincinnati which (I guess) isn't the worst choice.  Hard to pick just one item per state.

Love me some beef on weck. Never had the real deal, but I've made my own often. Yeah, those choices in the article were pretty much known to everyone. I was hoping to get some weird ones from people like the finger steaks, although I guess technically it's only strange if you have never heard of it.

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 08:48:46 PM »

Weck?
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

WiPelletHead

• Mondovi WI
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 09:38:47 PM »

FE PG 1000

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 10:53:51 PM »

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 11:04:09 PM »

The roll is basically the only thing that sets it apart from just a roast beef sandwich. The kosher salt and especially the caraway seeds are what is different.

Buffalo wild wings actually used to go by the name "bw3"  Wild Wings and weck. I think they dropped the weck because no one knew what it was.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 11:11:48 PM »

I had one of those IN sandwiches at Soldier Field yesterday.  Wasn't a fan.  Very salty version sold there.  I made good after the game with an Al's Italian Beef for the first time.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Fire708

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Shelton!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 12:24:52 AM »

I spose the choice for Warshington would be cedar planked salmon. 60 years later, I've never tried it.  ::)

I'd say there are too many choices in the seafood category alone. We're just not very good at beef, pork, chicken...

Tops for me is Dungeness crab.

If cooked right cedar planked salmon is amazing. Unfortunately many places over cook the fish and ruin it. There’s a place o the waterfront in Olympia that does it perfect.

And for seafood, Dungeness is unbeatable!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 07:49:15 AM »

I think most folks have heard of ham biscuits and probably associate them with the South.  Less well known is country ham.  There are many places that claim to have country ham -- Cracker Barrel is one.  But having tasted Cracker Barrel country ham I can tell you it is hardly even a pale imitation.  If you ever eat a true country ham, you won't forget it -- it is like taking a tsp of slat and putting it in your mouth!  You love it or hate it.  I have always said you had to be raised on the stuff.  My Dad was and loved it.

For an even less well know, iconic state dish -- Smithfield Ham.  No, not the stuff found in every grocery.  It use to be that the pigs had to be peanut fed.  But the definition has changed to the following: 

".Genuine Smithfield hams are hereby defined to be hams processed, treated, smoked, aged, cured by the long-cure, dry salt method of cure; and, aged for a minimum period of six months; such six-month period to commence when the green pork cut is first introduced to dry salt, all such salting, processing, treating, smoking, curing, and aging to be done within the corporate limits of the town of Smithfield, Virginia."

A true Smithfield is about $160 for a 13-16 lb ham, comes on the bone and, I am told, tastes something like prosciutto when thinly sliced.

TLK

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 09:48:54 AM »

The roll is basically the only thing that sets it apart from just a roast beef sandwich. The kosher salt and especially the caraway seeds are what is different.

Buffalo wild wings actually used to go by the name "bw3"  Wild Wings and weck. I think they dropped the weck because no one knew what it was.

I guess its what you grow up with.  I LOVE a good kimmelweck roll.  For me it is definitely a comfort food that reminds me of home.

and yes, the 3rd 'W' in BW3 stood for weck. 
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up