Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Brisket gone bad or just well aged?  (Read 1747 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Brisket gone bad or just well aged?
« on: August 24, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »

The corner grocery store doesn't normally carry brisket, but earlier in the summer someone put in a special order for one. The store could not order just one, so the extra brisket ended up sitting in the meat bin for about two months. I was talking with the meat manager about it the other day and he offered it to me for a reasonable price, so I ended up taking it home.

When I first noticed the brisket in the meat bin, (around July 4) the sell by date on the grocer’s label had been blacked out. When I arrived home I saw the sell by date was for June 30. I could not find a date stamped on the cryovac for when the meat was actually packed. Since the bag was still sealed I did not think too much about it.

After opening up the bag this morning there was a VERY strong odor, but it did not smell rancid, just strong. The fat was, for lack of a better word, puckered. The meat itself had a good color and was not at all slimy. I am leaning toward assuming that the brisket is well aged. It is currently on the grill and I’ll see how it turns out. I'm actually cooking it a few days earlier than needed because the weather is a bit iffy later in the week. That does give me time to go to plan B if necessary.

I am still fairly new in town and have not met a lot of neighbors. I figured this hunk of meat would be a good excuse for a block party and an opportunity to invite some folks over to make their acquaintance. Just want to make sure nobody gets sick (not a good way to make a first impression)! Tonight I plan on being the guinea pig just to see what happens, if I croak they don't need to serve it!!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: Brisket gone bad or just well aged?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 03:22:41 PM »

I probably would not be worried, if it is strong but not acrid you are probably okay.
I have wet aged out 2 months plus a little and never had a problem, many go longer that that.
Smart to try it but I am betting you will be in good shape.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »

Did it smell slightly like sulfur?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 09:35:02 PM »

Did it smell slightly like sulfur?

I have a hard time trying to discern and describe  smells. I did not detect a sulfur smell. I asked my wife and she did not notice a sulfur smell either.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

ezgoin

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 09:58:55 PM »

My brother likes to leave them until the liquid in the cryovac starts to turn milky.  He's a retired meat inspector so I figure he probably knows what he's talking about.

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 12:05:25 PM »

Making the decision for yourself is fine, but keep in mind, you are making a health decision for others if you serve it at a block party.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 01:20:17 PM »

I guess the big question would be what temp was the "bin" that it was if for 2 months.
If it was under 40f, then wouldn't that be considered "wet aging" ?
But then no telling how many times it was taken out of bin to look at.

No matter what, I would not serve to guests.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 01:57:01 PM »

Google "The year old brisket-Texas Monthly", might give you a little more insight.
Interesting read that's for sure.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »

This is developing into a suspenseful event. Waiting on the outcome.

urnmor

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 05:20:13 PM »

IMO when in doubt throw it out and chock it up to experience,

4given

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 05:40:20 PM »

IMO when in doubt throw it out and chock it up to experience,

I agree
John 3:16-18  GMG Daniel Boone, GMG Davy Crockett

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 06:08:49 PM »

Hard decision... Cook it and try it if you like it don't feed it to the neighbors, eat it all yourself. :lick:
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 08:01:14 PM »

Bad sign that we haven't heard from the OP? The all caps VERY in the original post was enough for me. No way I would have tried it.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 10:42:40 PM »

I would venture to guess there was nothing wrong with it and it is not going to harm anyone.  It is also a piece of meat that is going to be cooked to a very high temperature, so that would mitigate much of any bacterial issue!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 10:11:50 PM »

Bad sign that we haven't heard from the OP?

Not a bad sign, just been running around a lot lately without a lot of time for posting. I did cook the brisket. I don't do brisket very often, but this is probably one of the best ones I have done. It looked good, very moist, and the little bit I tasted was great. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

From what I have looked into and read, I really think it is going to be OK to serve. The deciding factor for me was that the meat itself looked good out of the cryovac and was not slimy at all. My wife has a better nose for that kind of thing than I do and she insists that it smelled OK, it was just stronger than anticipated. I have wet aged top sirloin a few times and gone well past the use-by date without a second thought, but it was never that strong. I am confident it maintained a proper temp at the grocery store. Even if someone picked it up, it would have been set back quickly.

I am also doing a couple of pork butts and will be serving pulled pork (and possibly brisket) sliders. We'll see what happens and  make a game time decision tomorrow

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up