News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Catfish  (Read 655 times)

dclord

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Catfish
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:12:03 PM »

It's been a while since I cooked something other than the same old things. I picked up some catfish at Sprouts today and followed a recipe for baked catfish from Delish (about as well as I generally follow recipes, which is to say more as guidelines). Basically it's just dredged in cornmeal and Old Bay Seasoning. Came out really tasty, though I could have gone a little heavier on the seasoning.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Catfish
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 08:00:10 AM »

I would eat that. Those are nice looking fillets.

I am a season at the table person as well as in the cooking. The beans look pretty good also and I am not a bean eater. I do like green beans done with some onions and browned in some bacon juice on the flat top or skillet, or oiled, seasoned and into a 425 oven until they get to where i want them.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 09:37:51 AM »

Nice fillets.

As a kid I lived on the Red River that separates North Dakota and Minnesota.  It's world famous for catfishing.  We'd sit in the back yard and fish from shore or sometimes shove a boat in and move around a bit.

After we had a stockpile of frozen catfish my dad would deliver them to a commercial meat smoker.  The smoker would smoke the whole batch and keep half as payment.  We had a constant supply of smoked catfish and local tullibee.  The tullibee died out as the lakes became more and more fertile from agricultural runoff.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 09:41:13 AM »

I do like green beans done with some onions and browned in some bacon juice on the flat top or skillet, or oiled, seasoned and into a 425 oven until they get to where i want them.

Dave, would you give some thought to posting those two recipes in Recipe Section > Vegetables?  They're both new to me.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »

Catfish and Halibut are my two favorite fishes.
Although Smoked Salmon (cold) is up there.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

lil moose

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »

Love catfish  :clap:  beautifully done!

Although my better half only likes them fried

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  I love catfish, just not cleaning them.  We always fry them, but they look great baked.

NorCal Smoker

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 09:39:48 PM »

Looks fantastic!  I have cooked catfish several times and loved it. Even made smoked catfish cakes. The thing that caught my eye are the plates. I believe I have the exact same plates somewhere in my family, I just can’t remember where

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 09:52:33 PM »

Desert Rose...

I think baked fish would certainly be my 2nd choice for cooking method after fried.  I am going to assume most Catfish that is commercially sold now days is farm raised, much better diet them channel cats!  It is one fish I do not mind eating.  This meal looks very good!  I bet the Old Bay as an excellent choice for seasoning!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:22:53 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

dclord

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »

Looks fantastic!  I have cooked catfish several times and loved it. Even made smoked catfish cakes. The thing that caught my eye are the plates. I believe I have the exact same plates somewhere in my family, I just can’t remember where
We've had the Desert Rose plates in our family for a couple of generations. The one in the picture is California made, they had the scalloped edges. We got a set for our wedding 23 years ago after production moved to England. They are heavier and have a plainer edge. The newest ones are made in China with no embossing, just plain plates with a painted pattern.

dclord

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 01:44:29 PM »

My wife doesn't like me to cook fish in the house, so I do a lot on the grill. Usually wild salmon or trout. I like tilapia, but it got a bad rep a couple of years ago because of the xxxx they feed it so I haven't done it lately. Catfish isn't something I do regularly, but boy is it good.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 02:46:26 PM »

We've had the Desert Rose plates in our family for a couple of generations. The one in the picture is California made, they had the scalloped edges. We got a set for our wedding 23 years ago after production moved to England. They are heavier and have a plainer edge. The newest ones are made in China with no embossing, just plain plates with a painted pattern.

We have some of all 3 versions and I knew your photo was of the old, original ones because of the scalloped edge and embossing.  They are lovely.  Ours are from my Mom and it is always a nice memory of her when we use them.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 02:54:58 PM »

I like tilapia, but it got a bad rep a couple of years ago because of the xxxx they feed it so I haven't done it lately.

Regarding Tilapia:  the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported that it is common for fish farmed in China to be fed feces from livestock animals.  Using animal feces as feed wasn’t directly associated with any specific fish in the report.  However, around 73% of the tilapia imported to the United States comes from China.
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 03:10:20 PM »

I never knew it till I was in my 30's working in stock market.  Had a client that made custom feed for cattle industry, they would use chicken manure and feathers in some of their feed blends...
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 06:52:37 PM »

I've also read where cedar shakes removed from roofs can make it into cattle feed also.  I guess anything for a filler.  Also read an article that catfish is the only fish when raised in captivity is actually better than the wild variety.  Now mind you, it was on the computer so I take anything and everything I read on the internet as NOT necessarily the gospel. :rotf:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up