Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Could be a Product Test?  (Read 1390 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Could be a Product Test?
« on: November 06, 2020, 06:32:38 PM »

I think it was called the Edge Pro that Glen brought to the 2010 American Royal.  I tried it, it was difficult for me to do well, but I have to say the knife I sharpened, never seen anything like it.  It truly scared me on how sharp it was.  I realize this is no Edge Pro, but for $48 I would be willing to buy it and do a Product Test of it.  I saw this on Facebook, so you can imagine how skeptical I am.  I guess I thought I would run it by you all 1st to see if anyone has ever seen one, and know they are garbage?  If not, like I said for $41.95 + shipping, not sure I can go wrong?

CULTICATE Knife Sharpening System

Bacon is a Gateway Food...

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Could be a Product Test?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 09:15:41 PM »

Didn't now what an Edge Pro was so I went to look. They are pricey to say the least, even the cheap one.

I also saw this one, there is a 5% off on it also, the stone grits I would think would be better in it also.
https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Upgraded-Fixed-angle-Sharpener-Sharpening/dp/B00EU7OXHU/ref=sr_1_14?crid=26X4CRLM7UU3X&dchild=1&keywords=edge+pro+knife+sharpening+system&sprefix=edge+pro+kni%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-14

I am linking this one also if that is okay, it looks to have different stone grits than the other 2, not available, but there are some similar products on this page. Plus it gives you 2 products with some reviews to maybe help you with your decision.

https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEKProfessional-Kitchen-Sharpener-System-Fix-angle/dp/B00ABVS5VY/ref=sr_1_15?crid=26X4CRLM7UU3X&dchild=1&keywords=edge+pro+knife+sharpening+system&sprefix=edge+pro+kni%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-15

Herb

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 08:13:24 AM »

I bought the original Edge Pro system years ago. I used up the original coarse stones putting the correct edge on two sets of Zwilling and Henkels knives. I haven't needed to use the Edge Pro again in years as the edge is so good now that we only need to touch up with a Lanskey ceramic crock stick quickly before using to achieve a razor edge again.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »

Looks interesting and it's cheap enough to try.  I wonder if the Edge pro stones would fit it?  My concern would probably be the performance of the suction cups and being able to keep it in place.  Much cheaper than the Ken Onion Work Sharp.  I know you got knives very sharp with the review you did on it.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 02:27:36 PM »

This one from Amazon screws down to a board. Also is mostly metal. Wonder if being metal, it might be sturdier after being screwed down?  Their Chinese store appears to have replacement stones.
       https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J7DP98?pf_rd_r=RFQ5K24A2WA73VTD724Q&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee&pd_rd_r=fa8b2eda-2c14-4c11-8545-9c1072a29af9&pd_rd_w=a9MR5&pd_rd_wg=AOewz&ref_=pd_gw_unk
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 03:29:38 PM »

Here's a sneak peak at a similar sharpener that will soon be released.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 04:38:27 PM »

That looks interesting, and you can adjust the angle. the only drawback I really see is the stone grits and that they are fastened in the handle.

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 05:31:03 PM »

That looks interesting, and you can adjust the angle. the only drawback I really see is the stone grits and that they are fastened in the handle.

I see that Amazon will have it in 3 weeks. Priced at 49.95. The directions say the stones can be replaced individually.
FE PG 1000

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 06:23:27 PM »

In my experience with a few of these sharpeners that clamp the blade, they won't properly accommodate a knife that's narrow from spine to cutting edge or has a small blade, like a paring knife.  They generally work fine on chef's knives, hunting knives, average sized folding knives and such.

They are a bit dangerous in that the user may expose a finger to the edge being sharpened.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

WiPelletHead

• Mondovi WI
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 07:09:58 PM »

Paul do you have an estimate on how long a blade can be sharpened with these?
I have no idea as I've never been near one.
FE PG 1000

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 07:39:28 PM »

Paul do you have an estimate on how long a blade can be sharpened with these?

That's a function of the length of the angle-setting rod.  I think most will easily sharpen a 10-inch chef's knife.  Probably longer, but I don't know the limit.

Based on the apparent rod length, a 14-inch slicing knife might be a bit too long.
Paul

WiPelletHead

• Mondovi WI
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 08:19:24 PM »

Thanks Paul. The longest I have is a 10" chefs knife. The ones I would use it the most is a 6" chefs knife and an 8" slicing knife.
FE PG 1000

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 10:00:16 AM »

Yesterday, I asked this question on a YouTube Work Sharp introduction video, "What is the longest blade that it can sharpen without releasing and re-clamping?"  No answer yet.
Paul

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »

If your blade is longer, could you not reclamp at a different spot to finish the blade?

WiPelletHead

• Mondovi WI
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 01:24:32 PM »

This is the reply that I received from Kayla at Wok Sharp.

"Great question! An 8” blade is easy.  We’ve sharpened up to a 10”chef’s knife, but when you start getting up to 10” in length, only about 2 ½” of the abrasive is being used. While it is possible, it’s not ideal.

When sharpening a longer knife, there is less abrasive that comes in contact with the blade.  Using an up and down stroke as shown in the user’s manual helps to overcome this."
FE PG 1000
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up