Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you store your knives?  (Read 923 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
How do you store your knives?
« on: December 19, 2020, 10:17:38 AM »

I don't have a huge number of knives, but I have a few that I use far more than others. most all of them have the plastic knife guards on the blades. I don't have an empty drawer or that would be an option. Most all of the knives are users not pretty looking things. A few boning knives, a few 10 and 12" slicers, things like that.

I had thought about a magnetic holder.

Ideas?

hughver

• University of Louisiana
Re: How do you store your knives?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »

I have all of my commonly used knives in a block that sits on a kitchen counter.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 11:23:54 AM »

I have all of my commonly used knives in a block that sits on a kitchen counter.

+1

And the big knives and specialty knives (brisket, tomato, cheese, watermelon, etc.) we keep in protective sleeves in drawers.

Maybe a knife roll would work for you.  Google "Knife Roll" 

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 11:29:14 AM »

We have a magnetic holder that I use for my really nice Pampered Chef knives.  I'm the only one who uses them because I keep them sharp and my wife says they're dangerous.  We have a wooden block for the cheaper ones she uses and if I sharpen them she gets mad.  I hate using a dull knife, so it drives me nuts.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 11:32:10 AM »

2 blocks.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 11:36:54 AM »

Most of our knives are in a butcher block.. The remainder have "U" shaped blade guards and are on top on a cabinet

At one time I was contemplating a magnetic holder. I just didn't feel I could trust it 100%. Sure the magnets are strong enough. It's the human error factor of the knife not being placed on magnets properly that could allow the knife to fall. Then there is inadvertently knocking the knives off, and lastly touching the extremely sharp blades or tips if the magnetic holder wasn't located in an out of the way location.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 11:42:55 AM »

Most of our knives are in a butcher block.. The remainder have "U" shaped blade guards and are on top on a cabinet

At one time I was contemplating a magnetic holder. I just didn't feel I could trust it 100%. Sure the magnets are strong enough. It's the human error factor of the knife not being placed on magnets properly that could allow the knife to fall. Then there is inadvertently knocking the knives off, and lastly touching the extremely sharp blades or tips if the magnetic holder wasn't located in an out of the way location.

Good point!   Never thought about the potential safety issue with magnetic knife holders.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 12:00:09 PM »

Ours is on the side of the cabinet holding the microwave and oven below it with a little toaster oven on the counter next to it.  I have to reach over the toaster oven to get the longer ones on the back part.  The tips and cutting edges are towards the wall.  Never had a problem with an accidental cut or stick.  Yet.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

dclord

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 12:51:55 PM »

I hurt more for counter space than drawer space, so I use this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 04:06:27 PM »

urnmor

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »

My main knives are kept in a block i have one I keep in the box in a sheaf. I have often thought o a magnetic holder but not sure where to hang it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »

Mine are in plastic sleeves in a drawer committed to knives
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »

My main knives are kept in a block i have one I keep in the box in a sheaf. I have often thought o a magnetic holder but not sure where to hang it.
Not sure all knife blades are magnetic.  Various types of SS are used but not sure which ones.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »

Stainless steel knives are normally made out of ferritic or martensitic stainless steels. In order to make knives that have decent edge retention, the martensitic and ferritic grades of stainless steel need to have a high enough carbon levels to be able to reach high hardness.May 25, 2017

okie smokie

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »

Stainless steel knives are normally made out of ferritic or martensitic stainless steels. In order to make knives that have decent edge retention, the martensitic and ferritic grades of stainless steel need to have a high enough carbon levels to be able to reach high hardness.May 25, 2017
There you go! Makes sense to me. Just tested mine, and they are all magnetic enough to be held up.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up