Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st time growing and frying Okra.  (Read 326 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
1st time growing and frying Okra.
« on: July 16, 2021, 07:10:00 PM »

So, I was given an Okra pod by a neighbor.  Never imagined the seeds would be viable, or grow, but they have.  Having never grown nor bought Okra in the store even, I had no idea at what stage they should be harvested.  So I go to youtube and most say to harvest at what looks about 5 inches.  So I go out to the garden and I find some that size, some smaller and some larger.  I take a couple of each.  Below are pictures of the process.

There is no rhyme or reason for tenderness of the vegetable (?).  Some of the little ones were very hard to slice, where as some of the larger the knife just went through so easy and vice versa.  All I know is eating a couple of them, well, if you had taken a bite of a #2 pencil and giving it about 3 chews, what would have been in your mouth is what a couple of these felt like!  My wet n dry needs work.  Pretty sure these thing are only good for Gumbo (and it won't be Gumbo season for 4 months)...I cant imagine they freeze well, but that will be next experiment.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 07:15:30 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
Re: 1st time growing and frying Okra.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 07:11:42 PM »

If anyone can shed any light on harvesting criteria, it would be most appreciative!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 07:16:07 PM by Bentley »

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 10:33:35 PM »

I don't have much experience with okra at all.  I've had it two ways. Gumbo and dried. Costco had bags of dried vegetables that were amazing. They were unavailable quicky, but the okra was my favorite thing in the bag. It was the whole thing dried, and they were very tasty. 

1MoreFord

• Using less gas.
  • Central Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 10:52:30 PM »

One of my favorite summer veggies.  Especially fried similar to what you have done.  Cut it up like you did, season it, and coat in flour and corn meal.  The slime will do a decent job of holding it on.  Martha White cornmeal/cornbread mix or similar works well.  Cook til somewhat crisp.

Harvesting.  As long as it's growing well with enough moisture you can let it get pretty big like 5-6-7" long.  As long as your thumb nail will dig into the stalk end it will fry.  Otherwise reserve for stewing or gumbo.  Best harvested with a sharp knife or shears.

BTW, who in the world thinks there is a gumbo "season"? 

IIRC you need to blanch it to freeze it.
Joe

Falcon Mk V gas grill, OK Joe Longhorn - gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef SG24, Weber 22" OTG

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »

Gumbo is not a hot season dish for me, and the funny thing about these, no matter what the size is no slime at all.  I think there is a misconception about most fruits and vegetables, that all you have to do is plant a seed from last years crop and all is well.  I think seeds are grown specifically for new season growth, and I think that may be the issue here.  You just cant take a pod from last years harvest and expect it to be a viable plant with good fruit!

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 11:47:51 AM »

I think the only time I've ever have Okra would have been in Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup years ago.
Was in Nawlin's a few times, but never had Gumbo. Always went for Jambalaya or other Cajun foods.
I guess I should give it a try.
I do have a couple good songs about Gumbo though.
Jimmie Buffett - I Will Play for Gumbo
Little Feat - Rad Gumbo
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 11:50:52 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 04:04:57 PM »

As an aside, I was camped in the AZ desert (closest town was Tucson) and we ate that cactus that jumps at you when you step on its roots.  It tasted like okra.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 08:25:36 PM »

I think there is a misconception about most fruits and vegetables, that all you have to do is plant a seed from last years crop and all is well.  I think seeds are grown specifically for new season growth, and I think that may be the issue here.  You just cant take a pod from last years harvest and expect it to be a viable plant with good fruit!

I remember that is pretty much what Woman did. She would plant tomato and green pepper seed from last years plants. Usually got them started in March or April, she would save the little yogurt cups and use them to plant in. We did it with potatoes also, but usually didn't have enough so would order from Henry Fields. I never remember seeing Okra growing up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up