Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: In a stew  (Read 2995 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Re: In a stew
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2021, 12:59:50 PM »

How many folks are you planning on feeding at the senior center? Are you going to be able to cook enough in Crock Pots or is this going to be an industrial sized pot cook?

They typically have around 50 for the dinner. From what I was told the stew has traditionally been made in electric roasters. I  have not tried to put together a shopping list yet.  However, I have had two people tell me they have meat in their freezer they are going to donate for the stew. I asked what kind and they both said beef. That didn't narrow it down much, but I am sure it will all be good.

Just found out the exact date, it is November 20. I still have time for a couple more test batches.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

urnmor

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2021, 06:04:06 PM »

If I may make a recommendation ask your friends to provide you the meat a few days before hand, thaw it out then apply salt overnight before the cook and if necessary Jaccard it before cooking.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2021, 02:20:22 PM »

I agree, Jaccarding really helps meat used in stew
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

urnmor

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2021, 09:26:34 PM »

so based on this thread I went ahead and made chicken  with mushroom and gravy with red wine.  I reduced the wine until it was like a stew mixture.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2021, 07:11:36 AM »

Yesterday was sample day at the senior center. I made Big Dave's, Paul's, and Troopers stews (because this is more of a traditional crowd, I did not make Hank's).

It was fun making three stews at once. It was actually easier than it I thought it might be, since most of the basic ingredients were the same.  I did kind of rush the process. All of the stews had gravy that was of good consistency, but none were what I would consider thick. Bentley, I think you would have approved!

People really liked Paul's stew, but didn't think it would meet the expectations for the general public. I gave what was left to folks to take home.  When asked what kind of stew they wanted, people started calling it "The Fancy Stew"! I think that name may stick!!

Big Dave's and Trooper's recipes were actually very close. People noticed the secret ingredient in Dave's recipe (the dry stew seasoning mix). However they didn't think we should add pork to the stew for the general public. There are some people that usually come that do not eat pork. 

The consensus was Trooper's recipe was what they were looking for when they have the supper. At the end of the lunch I combined the two stews and that was really good! I will probably end up combining elements from both recipes when it comes to the dinner.

I forgot my phone, so I do not have any pictures, but I will try and post some in November from the event. Thanks again for all the help and discussion.

"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2021, 12:29:38 PM »

This Saturday is the stew dinner. I think I have the ingredients set, but just trying to figure out proportions. There are a lot of people donating stuff, so I won't know what l have for sure until Thursday, then I will go shopping for the rest.

The goal is to feed 50 hungry people, which is a bit different than 50 servings. From what I can tell that should come out to about 4 gallons of stew. However, I probably will not know how many gallons I have until I finish the prep. Here is what I have so far, let me know if I need to adjust it at all.

20-25 lbs. Stew meat
10-15 lbs. Potatoes
4 lbs. Turnips
8 lbs. Carrots
5 lbs. Parsnips
4 lbs. Celery
5 lbs. Diced onions

Appropriate amounts of:
Better than beef base
Salt and pepper
Garlic
McCormick beef stew seasoning
Kitchen bouquet
Suet

To brown the meat I found an old church recipe from the area. The church ladies were very particular about browning the meat in suet. According to the notes it was their secret ingredient. I may give that a try!

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2021, 03:19:17 PM »

After talking with someone who remembered the meat browned in suet from back in the day, I am not going to do it. She said she never liked it that way. Maybe I  will try it at home sometime, but probably best not to start by experimenting in public!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2021, 04:08:46 PM »

I didn't want to say anything to go against local tradition, but I have to agree with her!

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2021, 09:37:13 PM »

Tomorrow is stew days! I put the stew together tonight and have it cooking at around 200* overnight. They start serving at 11 a.m.

Here is the final recipe. It is heavy on potatoes and light on carrots and celery, but should be OK. My projections were a bit off. I ended up with double the amount we were aiming for. That's not all bad. We should have enough and we can be generous.

20 lb. Chuck Roast
20 lb. Potatoes
1 Bunch Celery
6 lbs. Onions
3 lb. Turnips
3 lb Parsnips
4 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
Flour, S and P to coat meat

Gravy Broth
1 gallon boiling water
2 packs McCormick Stew Seasoning
1 jar Better than Bullion (38 servings)

Yield 8 gallons (two 18 quart roasters)

Sautéed veggies and then browned the beef, combined with broth in roasters. Set on 200* overnight.

Can't wait to see what it looks like in the morning!

I was pleasantly surprised to find a good work crew that came to help. I just told folks what time I would be there and wasn't sure who was going to show up. They made great time chopping the veggies and cutting up the meat.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2021, 10:58:01 PM »

It is looking good!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2021, 07:44:51 AM »

Looks great so far and always nice to have help!!!

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2021, 10:27:32 AM »

Lookin' good!
50 lbs of stew should feed a good size group.
Any bread and butter to go with it ?
Bread is always good for sopping up liquids left on the plate.   ;D
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »

12 hours later. I was pleased with the results, especially the gravy. Not to thick or to thin. The tips on Better than Bullion and the McCormick seasoning packets were spot on. It was a good combination.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Getting ready for the bake sale!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2021, 10:41:28 AM »

Lookin' good!

Any bread and butter to go with it ?
Bread is always good for sopping up liquids left on the plate.   ;D

The menu is stew, biscuits, fruit cobbler, ice cream and a beverage for $7. My kind of meal, meat and potatoes, dessert, no rabbit food!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2021, 11:59:11 AM »

That'd cure a vegan!

Perfect comfort food.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up