Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: In a stew  (Read 2996 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: In a stew
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2021, 01:10:51 PM »

Great menu, great price.  Hope the bake sale does well.

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2021, 05:57:49 PM »

All in all, not a bad day. People seemed to really like the stew (at least a lot of folks said it was better than what the last person did)! However, from what I understand, the bar was not too high.

Probably the one thing that was worth noting, was the difference between the two roasters. The senior center had an older one that had temps on the dial, but no matter where you had the dial it was hot. It was hard to keep it from boiling. The other one was mine. It's a bit newer and probably kept a more accurate temp. There was no thermometer there and I kept forgetting to bring one.

When I arrived in the morning both roasters were looking good. However, as the day went on the stew in the older one got thicker and thicker. Ended up cutting it with some of the stew from my roaster. That worked for a while, then I added some more broth from the McCormick Stew Seasoning. It was good after that.

We ended up with a lot of stew left over. I made about double of what they asked for. As it turned out, the veterans group down the street was having a work day and appreciated the stew.

The group is called 22-2-none. They are working to reduce the number of veteran suicides from 22 a day to none. They purchased an elementary school that the district closed a few years ago. The are renovating classrooms into apartments for vets and their families. Among other things they will also be able to provide temporary housing, counseling and recreational opportunities.

I was talking with the director about doing something for them at Christmas. As it turns out they are having a Christmas party December 11 during the Army/Navy game.

Looks like I will be doing food for the party. So, my next big cook will be Italian beef and Philly cheese steak, brats, and chicken drumsticks. Tried to go with kind of a tailgate theme. Watch for details coming soon!

I sure enjoyed all the discussion and feedback on the stew. It wouldn't have been nearly as good without you!!! Thanks!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 06:01:47 PM by jdmessner »
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2021, 06:12:43 PM »

Glad it turned out OK for you.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2021, 12:01:32 PM »

Great work JD, the country would be a much better place if it had a lot more like you.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2021, 12:06:44 PM »

Great work JD, the country would be a much better place if it had a lot more like you.

+1
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2021, 12:20:42 PM »

+2

urnmor

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2021, 06:16:58 PM »

Well after following this post I decided to go ahead and make a stew tonight.  I reviewed a number of recipes and finally decided on two one fromThe City Tavern which s early American cuisine and the other Jubilee which has two centuries of African
American cooking.  Although some what similar I went mostly with the recipe from Jubilee because it used 4 cups of wine.  So I figured I kill two birds with one stone. I will use the whole bottle in the stew and won't have to clean any wine glasses.  I am cooking it down for about two to three hours.  The ingredients were simple onions, carrots, garlic and bayleaves with cubes of meat dusted in flour mixed with garlic salt and garlic pepper and sweet and smoked paprika.  These were my additions as the original recipe did not call for it.  Will serve over noodles.

urnmor

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2021, 07:39:35 PM »

I also had mushrooms in it and tomatoes paste. Here are two photos

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2021, 08:07:48 PM »

Is there sausage in that?  Looks similar to a beef stroganoff too
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2021, 08:14:08 PM »

Is there sausage in that?  Looks similar to a beef stroganoff too

There is no sausage in it and in many ways beef stroganoff is similar to American stew however in American stew there is no cream added. I can say that when Travelled almost very country has there own version. some are cooked with lamp, goat etc they were all good.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2021, 08:39:08 PM »

what are the round red looking things?  they looked like sausage but I don't have my new glasses yet.  Regardless, nice presentation once again.

urnmor

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2021, 09:40:07 PM »

what are the round red looking things?  they looked like sausage but I don't have my new glasses yet.  Regardless, nice presentation once again.

They are the carrots

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2021, 10:00:31 AM »

I thought it was sausage at 1st also.  With the wine, a cousin of beef bourguignon?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:43:18 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2021, 10:05:08 AM »

On my larger monitor, I can now tell they are carrots even without new glasses.

urnmor

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2021, 12:36:19 PM »

I thought it was sausage it 1st also.  With the wine, a cousin of beef bourguignon?

It is very similar however I used only wine, no stock or flour nor did I use pearl onions.  I also added different spices however that is what is fun about cooking.  You can do it your way. I always a recipe is a guide for me to explore.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up