Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 02ebz06 on 21 Feb 2023
  • Time to make some Jerky again.
    Made the marinade yesterday.
    Sliced the meat (2 bottom round, and a flank steak) this morning and put them in the marinade.
    Will turn/mix 4 or 5 times today.
    Tomorrow into the smoker.  Will also do the other rack of the spare ribs I have.
    Will probable do ribs first, then turn temp down for the jerky.

I think I have a problem, I'm a meat hoarder.
    This stuff has been in the freeze quite a while so decided time to cook it.

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Feb 2023
  • I quit making my own marinade and used World Harbors spicy teriyaki the last time I made jerky.  Looking forward to seeing your final results.  It has been several years since I have made any.
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 21 Feb 2023
  • The recipe I use uses a whole lot more than just Teriyaki Sauce.
    Everything in the picture above goes into it.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 22 Feb 2023
  • Just waiting on the ribs to finish so I can put these in the smoker.

• #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Feb 2023
  • Those are nice racks for that Camp Chef vertical.
  • #6 by Bentley on 22 Feb 2023
  • I love jerky, just does not sit well with the teeth any more.  S0ome work in the future and maybe that will help!
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 22 Feb 2023
  • Those are nice racks for that Camp Chef vertical.
    Yeah, it came with 7 racks with 3 being jerky racks.  Had to use mats on the 4th one.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Feb 2023
  • Under normal weather conditions, do you know the lowest temp at grate level you are  actually get using a Thermoworks grate temp probe or a similar device?  At what temp is the controller set at to achieve that lowest grill temp?

I saw Amazon had one of these verticals online and was considering buying one if it could be a jerky machine.
  • #9 by 02ebz06 on 22 Feb 2023
  • Right now the Controller is set at 160 and grate temp as reported by the Thermoworks Smoke is 220.  Very windy - 37MPH
    The grate I have the probe on is on lowest rack and is it is about 5-6" from wall RTD is on and about 5" from read wall.
    RTD is about 5" higher on side wall.

Lowest temp controller goes to is 150.
    I don't recall exactly, but in summer I think they read no more that 15-20 apart.

Been on the kick of bread making and smoking meat, got me thing I should smoke some cheese as well.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Feb 2023
  • Depending on the cheese it can't be more than 80°-90° in the smoker or it will start to deform or melt.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Feb 2023
  • Thanks for the temp control info.
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 22 Feb 2023
  • Depending on the cheese it can't be more than 80°-90° in the smoker or it will start to deform or melt.

Yes, have to do it in cooler weather.
    I just put the smoke box inside, and set the controller to "Fan Only" mode.

FYI - If you hadn't noticed, the controller is a Savannah Stoker.   Stock controller does not go down to 150 or have a Fan Only mode.

• #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Feb 2023
  • I didn't notice the updated controller.  Thanks for the update
  • #14 by 02ebz06 on 22 Feb 2023
  • I didn't notice the updated controller.  Thanks for the update

You can see part of it (the orange) in the lower left corner.
  • #15 by yorkdude on 22 Feb 2023
  • Oh man very nice.
    That looks outstanding.
Pages:
Actions