Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Meat Glue  (Read 3032 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Meat Glue
« on: February 05, 2020, 11:51:59 AM »

I have seen this product over the last few years and have been intrigued by it.  I finally decided to buy some.  My 1st thought was hybrid Chicken Kiev with breast and thigh.  I am not a good enough cook to keep the butter in, so I figured this was not only a great cheat, but a great way to get the thigh flavor in the dish too!

I was also curious to try some Frankenstein Roasts as this product seems to have gotten a bad wrap, with some unscrupulous restaurateurs trying to fake out the public.

Not sure what cuts I will use, wanted to pick some cheap cuts of beef and see if I could make a glue roast.  If you were going to choose 4 cheap cuts of beef to make a roast what would you select?

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Re: Meat Glue
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 12:08:38 PM »

Chuck steak, 7 steak, shank meat and round steak.  All Select since that's the cheapest.  Not sure what y'all have in Mayberry.  Interesting project.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 12:24:44 PM »

I am gonna see what Costco has tomorrow in Manassas.  They usually only have the more expensive cuts as steaks, so not sure if I will be able to find anything to work with there.  Would hate to spend $200 on whole cuts of meats to make this work.  But then I hate going into our local Wal-mart or supermarket and pay $3 more per lb. for the same thing.

ofelles

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 01:01:32 PM »

Following.  I have been thinking about getting some of that stuff also.
Yoder YS640
LSG 48" Santa Maria Grill
LSG Insulated Cabinet Smoker

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 01:05:54 PM »

I've also been reading about it for a few years.  I never thought that I'd have a use for it.

I'll be following this thread.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Brushpopper

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »

We don't buy meat from our Walmart.  It just doesn't look right color wise.  It's too red looks like it's injected with red dye.

You could also buy stew meat or chili meat and glue it into a roast and then slice it into little steaks.  Chili meat from HEB and our meat market is smaller cut stew meat, although I just use ground turkey for ours. 

And I have no experience with Moo Gloo.  Never heard of it until this post.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 03:46:04 PM »

I wish we had some HEB's around here.  I remember going into one outside of San Antonio once, the beef prices were like $2/lbs less then anywhere else it seemed.

Would like to try Sirloin, Chuck, Round and Flank, but I just dont think I am going to find that without having to buy hunks.  Lots of combos I would like, Sirloin, Chuck, Shank, & Short Rib, could go on and on...

Brushpopper

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 04:14:01 PM »

I wish we had some HEB's around here.  I remember going into one outside of San Antonio once, the beef prices were like $2/lbs less then anywhere else it seemed.

You ought to go to one of the Gucci HEBs.  (That's what we call them at least because of the Gucci Bowl.  That's when the two rival high schools from the ritzy part of San Antonio play their yearly football game.)  They are really fancy and have stuff I didn't know humans consumed (to put it nicely).

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 05:38:43 PM »

BentMan,

I used this brand of meatglue in the KCBS competitions where I did the chicken entries.
I had sprinkled the glue dust between the skin and thigh when the thighs were being prepared back home here - before the thighs were frozen.
The purpose was to hold the skin to the thigh when the judges took that luscious bite.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:56:28 PM by Trooper »
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 07:35:30 PM »

I used this brand of meatglue in the KCBS competitions where I did the chicken entries.
I had sprinkled the glue dust between the skin and thigh when the thighs were being prepared back home here - before the thighs were frozen.
The purpose was to hold the skin to the thigh when the judges took that luscious bite.

That's sooooo clever.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »

We don't buy meat from our Walmart.  It just doesn't look right color wise.  It's too red looks like it's injected with red dye.

You could also buy stew meat or chili meat and glue it into a roast and then slice it into little steaks.  Chili meat from HEB and our meat market is smaller cut stew meat, although I just use ground turkey for ours. 

It's not uncommon for retailers to use MAP processing to keep beef red.  Some of the packages look like balloons and the colour is a bit exaggerated.  Ask Google about modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) if you wish to know more.  I think it's nitrogen and carbon monoxide.

Brushpopper

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 08:55:42 PM »

It's not uncommon for retailers to use MAP processing to keep beef red.  Some of the packages look like balloons and the colour is a bit exaggerated.  Ask Google about modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) if you wish to know more.  I think it's nitrogen and carbon monoxide.

Never heard of that either.  Man this is an informative thread!  Back when I was a mechanic MAP was Manifold Absolute Pressure or in regular terms the vacuum in the intake manifold.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 11:25:44 PM »

N or CO2, but not CO.  Car exhaust would be a hard sell to the FDA.    :pig:

I think it's nitrogen and carbon monoxide.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 03:03:59 PM »

I remember you saying something about it and I remember 1st hearing about it back when we used to compete.  It just never dawned on me that there might be practical uses for it.  There is no "cheap"  beef for me any more.  It seemed like the RD in CA would have much deeper discounts then here in VA.

I was in Martain's today, a local supermaket, they had a few items marked for quick sale.  Still, stew meat at $3.79/lb and Chuck (which is all the stew meat is I think) for about the same does not seem like a discount.  The regular price of $5.89/lb is a joke, and why I do not buy anything but GB from them, and usually not even that.

So I will use it, see what I can get at Costco tonight and then go into the Laboratory tomorrow!  If I can find some cheap round at Cost co, I might take all these meats, and then take some of the ground rib roast fat and sprinkle it among it to simulate marbling and see what we come up with.  We all know Round has no fat flavor!

Mikro

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 08:03:31 PM »

We don't buy meat from our Walmart.
<snip>
Our Wally World has the NO Flavor variety of meat.
It looks good but ZERO flavor and tough as a boot.
I have had cardboard that has a better taste to it. LOL!!!
mk
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up