Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: In a stew  (Read 2369 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: In a stew
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2021, 07:19:18 PM »

Ok you guys win, stew it is. I picked up a couple of nice looking chuck roast yesterday so I'm going to give it a try. I may have missed it, but do you smoke the meat before you cube and sear. I may give the Insta pot a try.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

urnmor

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2021, 09:24:25 PM »

Ok you guys win, stew it is. I picked up a couple of nice looking chuck roast yesterday so I'm going to give it a try. I may have missed it, but do you smoke the meat before you cube and sear. I may give the Insta pot a try.

I did not see a need to smoke the meat before hand as I added smoke paprika to the flour mix used on the meat when browning it, however I am sure it would add a very nice flavor.  Also I ma not a fan of the instant pot as I always like tasting the dish as I cook it.  I found I could not do that easily with the instant Pot.  In fact I gave mine away.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2021, 09:45:09 AM »

Kristin made a nice one yesterday from the left over Omaha.  I asked her to leave the potatoes out as I like mine over mashed potatoes.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2021, 11:39:40 AM »

Thanks Urnmor for the input, I've decided to cube then smoke on frog mats for 1 hour at 150° on the DC. The jury is still out on the Insta pot. Decision will be made real time. Will omit smoked paprika. I ended up with 3.5 lbs. of cubes and .5 lb. trim. my intent is to bake then boil trim to make broth.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up