Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beef Jerky  (Read 3974 times)

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: Beef Jerky - My Method
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 04:09:44 PM »

I wish I could copy and paste the recipe here. I use a recipe that Darke posted on the other web site named “beef jerky”

While searching for a jerky marinade recipe, I came across this old post. Is the following recipe the one that's referred to?

"Meat: 5lbs of brisket or top round. Put in freezer for 1 hour to firm up to make easier to slice if you do not have a slicer.

Marinade:

1tbs onion powder
1tbs onion salt
1tbs garlic powder
2tbs salt
1/4tsp sage
1tbs worcestershire sauce
2tbs tobasco
2 cups water

Heat sauce to make sure it mixes.
I put half the meat into one container then half in another. Pou half of marinade on top on one container and the rest on top of other container. This way all meat is covered with marinade. Poke meat with fork to make sure marinade penetrates meat. Let soak for 24 hours. After you place in smoker sprinkle fresh black pepper on top of jerky. Smoke at 150 for somewhere between 5 to 8 hours depending on how thick you cut it."
Yes. That is it.

I deviate from his recipe by:

A) I replace the salt with "Slap Ya Mamma". (Note: This stuff is awesome on popcorn.)
B) I replace the Tabasco with Cholula hot sauce.
C) I make about twice as much marinade per 5 lbs of meat.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Beef Jerky
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »

Thanks, I just happen to have some Slap Ya Mamma and Cholula hot sauce, do you use the original or hot Slap Ya Mamma, I have both?
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

slaga

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »

Regular Slap Ya Mama.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »

I have found that if you sprinkle a similar spice as you used in the marinade on top of the meat before placing it in the smoker that I get the best flavor results.

Jalapeno marinade sprinkled with jalapeno powder
Black pepper marinade sprinkled with black pepper
Jamaican jerk marinade sprinkled with crushed red pepper
Chipotle molasses marinade and chipotle mango marinade sprinkled with crushed chipotle peppers or MAK chipotle rub
Frank's Stingin honey garlic marinade sprinkled with Cabella's pecan honey rub

You get the idea.

This time, I let air dry for 2-4 hours and then placed in small brown paper bags and put in the fridge overnight.  Next day vac sealed into 5oz packages.  I was selling to my friends and family for $1/oz to recoup costs so 5oz packages made for easy transactions.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 04:37:00 PM »

This is a pretty good marinade too.  My buddy who helps me make the jerky and we split the batches found this online somewhere so I can't give full credit to where it came from.  I think the first 4 ingredients are the key.  Not sure the rest do too much to the flavor.  We used a sweet baby ray's Hawaiian BBQ sauce that has a distinct pineapple flavor profile in our last batch.

Brine for 4# of meat
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup Dale's Steak Seasoning liquid
1/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1/4 cup BBQ Sauce or Hot Sauce
1 tbsp. Molasses
1 tsp. Liquid Smoke
2 tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
1 tbsp. Black Pepper
2 tsp. Chili Powder
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Onion Powder
2 tsp. Seasoned Salt
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »

I have not purchased the meat yet, I normally use flank steak cut 1/4-3/8" thick cross grain. Not considering $, is there a better choice?
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

slaga

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 06:18:37 PM »

I have not purchased the meat yet, I normally use flank steak cut 1/4-3/8" thick cross grain. Not considering $, is there a better choice?
I use top round and bottom round because that was the first thing I used and liked the results. I have not tried anything else.

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 07:00:40 PM »

Since it has no cure, what temps are you cooking at and how do you store it?
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »

I do throw cure in but it wasnt listed 1/4 tsp per # of meat.

As for meat, top round, bottom round, eye of round, and london broil.  Have found the london broil to have the least amount of fat to trim fat from the roast prior to slicing.

slaga

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2018, 03:53:35 AM »

Generally speaking, as low as I can go. My previous grill had a controller with a minimum set temp of 150 and that is what I used. From what I read, 123 degrees F is the minimum to kill off the nasties that will harm you so I plan to never let it get below 130 or so. I keep it in the refrigerator for a couple days and then move it to the freezer. It only takes 10 minutes for mine to thaw at room temperature but I tend to make it pretty dry to begin with. I toss it in a freezer bag so i can pull out a hand full at a time.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »

Outside flank here . Nice and chewy.

hughver

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2018, 10:23:14 AM »

OOPs, I just checked my rub supply and I have Slap Yo Daddy, not Slap Ya Mama. Is there much difference?

Update: Looked it up, Slap Ya Mama is a Cajun seasoning which, being originally from New Orleans, I have plenty of.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:29:17 AM by hughver »

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »

As for meat, top round, bottom round, eye of round, and london broil.  Have found the london broil to have the least amount of fat to trim fat from the roast prior to slicing.

I thought you would use cure, and you do.  I consider it important for something like jerky.  I use pork loin now, a #8 full loin give me #6 of meat before smoking/drying.  Much cheaper.  I freeze vacupack bags and when I open one I keep in the fridge.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »

I freeze vacupack bags and when I open one I keep in the fridge.

I do the same.  Our last cook, we had some pork loin we used and we were planning to do more in the future too do to price being almost 1/3rd of beef.  I used Frank's Stingin' Honey Garlic with the pork and everyone who tried it said is was great and probably their favorite of the 10 or so different flavors we made that day.

hughver

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2018, 07:50:56 PM »

A couple of questions for you jerky experts. As I mentioned earlier, I've only made jerky using flank steak cut to ~5/16" thick. I'm going to make 10+ pounds to take on my yearly boat trip north. today I went to Costco and bought beef eye of round, center cut pork loin and flank steak (total 20+ lbs.). My questions concern both the pork and round eye. Do you slice with the grain or across grain (I cut flank across grain)? Do you slice it whole or do you cut them in half lengthwise to get more a manageable size for the slicer? And lastly, do you cook the pork to the same degree of doneness as beef? Thanks for the help.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up