Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: First Restaurant Depot Visit  (Read 4938 times)

heffneil

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
First Restaurant Depot Visit
« on: January 23, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »

Hey folks!

I finally went to a restaurant depot.  It isn't very close but with full packers getting difficult to find locally I went up there for a party I am cooking 2 packers for.  I spent 2 hours just walking around.  I ended up buying 4 packers and they are beautiful.  Price was $3.46 for Prime after 41 pounds which was easy to do with 4 packers.  Can't wait to try them.  The store was amazing and I had to walk out of the other side a couple times to warm back up!  I was looking for a raw, boneless turkey breast to smoke but they didn't have it! Crazy that they wouldn't have something!

I wonder if I should cook them a little lower since they are prime.

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: First Restaurant Depot Visit
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »

I frequent my local RD quite often. This is where I get all of my large cuts. I always find the boneless turkey breast in the freezer section inside the big cooler. Next time you go ask one of the people working there where they are located.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:47:32 AM »

Do they have St. Louis style ribs?

Also how much will it cost to join?

I travel enough in my motorhome that I am close enough to some of their stores.  The closest one to me at home is 270 miles away.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

ScottWood

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »

I've never been to a RD, but we do have Cash and Carry stores here in Western Washington which I suspect are somewhat similar.  I buy all of my large cuts there.

As for cooking a prime brisket, I do them regularly and do them the same way I would a choice. 
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »

Do they have St. Louis style ribs?

Also how much will it cost to join?

I travel enough in my motorhome that I am close enough to some of their stores.  The closest one to me at home is 270 miles away.

You need to have a business to join.  Or, and I am not sure if this is still the case, you can join the KC BBQ Society and use your membership card to shop at RD.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »

I don't think there are any near me... I'd like to go sometime, but not sure it's practical for me.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Skyking

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »

LSJ. There is a RD in Troy.  I have a membership there but it is an hour away from me, so do not get there very often.  They have just about everything and in large quantities. I think it is mostly for restaurants and large consumers. Prices are good.

GrillinGlen

• Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »

Bentley and Larry took me to the one in Kansas City to pick out a brisket for the Royal, first and only time, it was amazing! I have a Cash and Carry here, same idea but 1/10th of the size and selection.  My KCBS membership got me in but that was 2015
2011 SS Memphis Pro

ScottWood

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 12:48:41 PM »

Bentley and Larry took me to the one in Kansas City to pick out a brisket for the Royal, first and only time, it was amazing! I have a Cash and Carry here, same idea but 1/10th of the size and selection.  My KCBS membership got me in but that was 2015

That's a great point about the size and selection.  When I lived in the Phoenix area there was a RD that I would drive by from time to time but never stopped in.  Since moving back home to the PNW, and with Olympia being a fraction of the size of the metro Phoenix area, I am happy that we have a Cash and Carry.  I am even more excited that we are getting a second one which will be about 5 miles from my house.  :-)
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »

So ScottWood when I go to Olympia next month I just follow the smell of BBQ to your place.  :cool:

That's a great point about the size and selection.  When I lived in the Phoenix area there was a RD that I would drive by from time to time but never stopped in.  Since moving back home to the PNW, and with Olympia being a fraction of the size of the metro Phoenix area, I am happy that we have a Cash and Carry.  I am even more excited that we are getting a second one which will be about 5 miles from my house.  :-)
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 01:08:15 PM »

LSJ. There is a RD in Troy.  I have a membership there but it is an hour away from me, so do not get there very often.  They have just about everything and in large quantities. I think it is mostly for restaurants and large consumers. Prices are good.

I see there's one in Dearborn, that's about a hour from me, but I don't have membership... not even in the KCBS... I'd likely have to join KBCS and use the day pass offer to go to RD..  Which I think would end up costing me $40...  maybe someday.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Jcorwin818

• 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »

They still honor KCBS membership cards.
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 01:57:53 PM »

To get into RD you have to have a business license of any type business or be a member of KCBS. Being a member of KCBS allows you to get a day pass. All you have to do is go to the desk when you enter the store and ask for a day pass and tell them you are with KCBS. They should ask for your KCBS membership card but I go so often they never ask me. The downside is I have to ask for a day pass every time I go. If you have a business license you can get a RD membership card.

I'm, sure there are other ways but these 2 are the one I know.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Skyking

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 08:26:21 PM »

Yes, I think that is correct. I have a construction business and that is all I needed to get a membership. Not too much related to the restaurant business, but that is all they cared about is that you had a business of any kind.

mowin

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 09:35:00 PM »

Correct, they don't care if your business has anything to do with the restaurant/food industry. Have a buddy who's son has a business that has nothing whatsoever to do with food. I've got a card from him that I use several times a yr.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up