Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70 to 80 pounds of Heritage Pork Boneless Boston Butt  (Read 1464 times)

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: 70 to 80 pounds of Heritage Pork Boneless Boston Butt
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »

Wow,.  Fantastic looking PP.   :clap:

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »

I had to enjoy some of that pork for breakfast today.  So I made fried eggs cooked in olive oil served over the pork.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »

You have to have some Short Order experience...Rare to see a "normal" person, even a cook, that can do Sunnyside without clouding the yolks!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:40:26 AM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

urnmor

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »

Obviously you have never spoken to my wife as she would say I am far from normal, however, never been a short order cook just a great chef at least in my own mine. :cool: :)

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »

You can cook for me anytime.   :bbq:

dk117

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 09:50:13 PM »

Sunny side up eggs over pulled pork.   Absolutely classic.   Looks like perfection.   

DK

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 11:25:07 PM »

What time are you cooking us breakfast tomorrow....can't wait, looks awesome.

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »

Looks pretty fantastic, urnmor! I have a question: did you rotate those butts during the cook in the MAK? I'm assuming you wrapped them, but at what temp were you smoking?

My minuscule experience with that much pork in the MAK resulted in a disaster; the cook went waaaay too long resulting in dried out meat and much wringing of hands. I know my method was greatly flawed from the get-go. Just trying to learn a process that works, and if it works for you with that much pork, I figure I could really learn something from you. Thanks!
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

urnmor

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 06:54:24 PM »

I have a question: did you rotate those butts during the cook in the MAK? I'm assuming you wrapped them, but at what temp were you smoking?

Why did you say your cook was a disaster?

I cook my butts at around 235 degrees and if I need them done sooner rather then later I might increase the temp to around 250.  I normally pull them when they get into the one nineties to 200.  These I pulled at 191 or 192 and then I wrapped in foil and let them rest in a cooler covered with a blanket for up to four hours but a lot sooner if I am running late.  Also, at least it is my experience, that they will not all reach the desired temp at the same time.  I do not wrap my butts during the cook. 

Prior to the cook I will add a moisturizer consisting of yellow mustard, water, Worcestershire sauce and apple vinegar and then my rub.  My cooks will normally take between 14 and 16 hours.  I did not rotate during the cook.   I did have a flame out but that was my fault as forgot to add more pellets after about 12 hours but caught it in time.  I also took the butts off grill to check the box to ensure it was not full of ashes.  It was not.  The MAK started right up got back to temp and all was well.  By the way I also had to add more wood charcoal to the Green Egg.  My point is that after 12 or so hours inspect your fuel to ensure there is sufficient left to finish your cook and don't be afraid to take your butts off the grill, in this case the green egg to add more fuel.

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 01:03:15 AM »

Thanks, urnmor, your information really helps.

Ya, that cook of mine was a disaster. I didn't allow for any extra time for that much meat and I have found that to be the death knell for success. When a cook goes long I tend to question my method and decisions during the cook and start fiddling with the temps. Usually, there are people waiting for food to be done which adds to the pressure. I've learned to start my cooks earlier than I would figure to allow for that, but it's not fool-proof, and I can be a fool.

urnmor

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 10:34:06 AM »

Usually, there are people waiting for food to be done which adds to the pressure.

I think we all feel some pressure when we are cooking for others: A: to be sure it is done on time and B that it taste good.  Now I handle this by having appetizer and drinks available and I have never really found anyone that does not like free food.  besides it is not really about the food (well for us it is) but it is really about the friendship and conversations.  Happy BBQing :cool:

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 09:00:25 PM »

besides it is not really about the food (well for us it is) but it is really about the friendship and conversations.  Happy BBQing :cool:

My wife says I'm my own worst critic, and that the food is better than anyone could get at most BBQ restaurants. I tell her she's blinded by love.

It's probably some of both.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up