Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Can’t Believe It  (Read 1627 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Can’t Believe It
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »

And Kristin, what is up with the Canadian spelling of flavour?   ;)

You got in there ahead of me, Lew.

Didn't know it was Canadian, I always think of it as British.  Most of the time I catch it and change.  Read too many British authors as a child I think!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2019, 08:50:45 PM »

Z - Did  you make that garlic bread or buy it somewhere?

Garlic bread was purchased. The brand is La Brea Bakery. I get it at the Cub grocery chain here in
MN. I have a whole wheat recipe I make from scratch. Will have to post it sometime.

That takes me back decades.  LaBrea Bakery was started in the LaBrea area of LA when I was a young attorney by a man in LA, not much older than me.  He supposedly became a bread maker to be creating things on an artisinal (sp?)level. He and his wife hand made every loaf and sold out of a small storefront in the LaBrea/Fairfax area on the west side of LA.  Funny that what he started as a personal venture to get out one of a kind product has become a massive corporate bakery distributing all over the US.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:00:10 PM by Kristin Meredith »

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 09:09:22 PM »

Bentley,
I enjoyed doing the tag team on Tri Tip. We’ll have to do it again sometime with a different meat. Especially since it seems it will be hard to do a comp together as time moves on.

We each had a different approach with the Tri Tip.  Perhaps the tag team idea is something others on the site can do as well.

Cook on friend!
Al
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2019, 10:08:28 PM »

I learned that a 600° pit is going to have massive carry over on a reverse sear, but puts a nice char on the meat.  I saw no taste difference in the reverse sear, and it is much more work, so I will just go back to high heat grilling!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2019, 11:05:30 PM »

You got in there ahead of me, Lew.

Didn't know it was Canadian, I always think of it as British.  Most of the time I catch it and change.  Read too many British authors as a child I think!

You are probably correct in that the what I perceived as Canadian is really British. I was just busting your chops for using the different spelling.  Sort of like cheques for checks....haha.  Love our friends to the North.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2019, 11:27:45 PM »

Z - Did  you make that garlic bread or buy it somewhere?

Garlic bread was purchased. The brand is La Brea Bakery. I get it at the Cub grocery chain here in
MN. I have a whole wheat recipe I make from scratch. Will have to post it sometime.

That takes me back decades.  LaBrea Bakery was started in the LaBrea area of LA when I was a young attorney by a man in LA, not much older than me.  He supposedly became a bread maker to be creating things on an artisinal (sp?)level. He and his wife hand made every loaf and sold out of a small storefront in the LaBrea/Fairfax area on the west side of LA.  Funny that what he started as a personal venture to get out one of a kind product has become a massive corporate bakery distributing all over the US.

Nancy Silverton`s LaBrea Bakery cookbook had a big influence on me.  I think I still have tha one in storage. 
The roasted garlic is my favorite, I just brought one home from the grocery store.

ZCZ

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »

Leftover sandwiches today.
Cut thin and served cold.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 03:02:46 PM by ZCZ »
2013 Memphis Pro

ZCZ

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2019, 02:58:57 PM »

Sandwiches with the La Brea Garlic bread, horseradish, lettuce & tomatoes

[ Invalid Attachment ]

With chips & Cole slaw

[ Invalid Attachment ]
2013 Memphis Pro

ZCZ

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »

Still had some left over so poured on the remaining juice from the cook, heated up for 30 seconds in the microwave and a little salt & pepper. Very tasty.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Al
2013 Memphis Pro

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »

Your 150° looks a lot better then mine!

Your first picture appears to be cut with the grain. Was it tough?  ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2019, 05:09:32 PM »

It was not tough, but it was cut with the grain.  I finely found the grain and cut the 2nd half correctly!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

ZCZ

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2019, 08:37:00 PM »

It was not tough, but it was cut with the grain.  I finely found the grain and cut the 2nd half correctly!

So glad I had my picture posted early in this thread of the Tri Tip with the rub applied. I could still see the grain in that picture. Otherwise I would have been at a total loss as to which way to cut it and which way the grain was running. It was still somewhat tough but sliced thin really helped. It was a fun cook but like Lew said earlier I’d rather spend the $8/lb. on a NY Strip.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2019, 08:56:33 PM »

The tri-tip is a bit unique in that it has multiple ways the grain goes in the meat.  You have to be really careful when cutting to see where the grain starts to change again or you may have some tender pieces and some tougher pieces.  There are some decent videos on youtube on how to slice them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2019, 10:29:23 PM »

I have cooked probably hundreds of tritips over the years, but the best ever was my last on my Daniel Boone. I keep it simple with Montreal but the smoke was perfect.

What made it better was that my wife, who likes meat that is more done, was gone for a couple of weeks so I pulled it off at a temperature that I preferred.

Surprisingly, my wife got a chance to eat some when she returned home and really liked it.

Tritips have been our go to roast for years since they are consistently good, unlock other roast where it is difficult to find anything edible these days.

We have some great tritip sales as well.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2019, 11:11:26 PM »

I have cooked probably hundreds of tritips over the years, but the best ever was my last on my Daniel Boone. I keep it simple with Montreal but the smoke was perfect.

Pit at what temp and pulled at what temp?

I'm willing to follow advice from someone who's cooked hundreds of them.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up