Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Steak Deburgo  (Read 1511 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Steak Deburgo
« on: December 23, 2019, 10:58:29 PM »

I think the name is pretty much a Des Moines thing, I've never noticed it on a menu anywhere else. It's beef filet, in a garlic, pepper, herb sauce either in olive oil (my preference) or a cream and butter sauce. It's in most of the nicer restaurants around town here. I didn't make my own sauce as one of the restaurants I used to get it at sells their sauce at the local supermarket.

So I salted filets a couple hours ahead, added POG before cooking. Put them on the Camp Chef at 225 until they hit 125, then threw on the gasser for a quick sear. Rest of family at like that, I used the DeBurgo sauce.

These were the last and best 4 of the filets from the whole peeled tenderloin I picked up at Costco over summer and separated. Steak was fabulous, but next time I’ll probably either just buy filets or just slice it without separating, not sure it’s worth all the work.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:02:15 PM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: Steak Deburgo
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 04:43:37 AM »

Sounds really good and it looks fantastic.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 08:04:37 AM »

Never heard of it, but it looks wonderful!

urnmor

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 08:14:55 AM »

This looks great and will you share the recipe for the sauce.  Thanks

glitchy

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 10:43:02 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe. I've had Steak Deburgo in at least 6 Des Moines restaurants and every Deburgo sauce is bit different too. I can tell you, the bottle from Gino's that I get at the store lists the ingredients as Olive Oil, garlic, pepper and herbs in that order. These restaurants are mostly Italian, so the herbs would be oregano, basil, parsley, etc. Best I can say is that I've never ordered it again from the restaurants that use cream in their sauce. The restaurant that I prefer this dish the most uses considerably more garlic and more coarsely ground pepper than the store bought bottle has and I think garlic is roasted before it's minced. Some places also serve it with sauteed mushrooms on top (guessing sauteed in a little of the same sauce maybe) and a couple with minced sauteed mushrooms right in the sauce. I like the whole sauteed shrooms and slice slivers to eat with each bite. I don't do this at home as no one else eats the mushrooms.

I think it would be pretty easy to make and would probably taste better fresh in small batches. Maybe start with a 1/4 cup of olive oil, roast a few garlic cloves and mince, put in maybe a tsp of fresh cracked pepper with just a dash of oregano and basil and adjust from there based upon your tastes. You could always adjust real time since it's not a cooked sauce unless you're too heavy on something. The sauce is a real treat on filet as I love filet but feel it often lacks a little on the flavor.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:45:15 AM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

urnmor

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 10:46:42 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe. I've had Steak Deburgo in at least 6 Des Moines restaurants and every Deburgo sauce is bit different too. I can tell you, the bottle from Gino's that I get at the store lists the ingredients as Olive Oil, garlic, pepper and herbs in that order. These restaurants are mostly Italian, so the herbs would be oregano, basil, parsley, etc. Best I can say is that I've never ordered it again from the restaurants that use cream in their sauce. The restaurant that I prefer this dish the most uses considerably more garlic and more coarsely ground pepper than the store bought bottle has and I think garlic is roasted before it's minced. Some places also serve it with sauteed mushrooms on top (guessing sauteed in a little of the same sauce maybe) and a couple with minced sauteed mushrooms right in the sauce. I like the whole sauteed shrooms and slice slivers to eat with each bite. I don't do this at home as no one else eats the mushrooms.

I think it would be pretty easy to make and would probably taste better fresh in small batches. Maybe start with a 1/4 cup of olive oil, roast a few garlic cloves and mince, put in maybe a tsp of fresh cracked pepper with just a dash of oregano and basil and adjust from there based upon your tastes. You could always adjust real time since it's not a cooked sauce unless you're too heavy on something. The sauce is a real treat on filet as I love filet but feel it often lacks a little on the flavor.

Thank you for the info.  I think I will make it after the New Year.

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 10:48:21 AM »

That steak looks fantastic.  Thanks for sharing about the Deburgo sauce.  I am thinking it is an olive based version of compound butters (or just plain butter) folks sometimes put on steaks.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 10:50:28 AM »

Looks and sounds great.

glitchy

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »

That steak looks fantastic.  Thanks for sharing about the Deburgo sauce.  I am thinking it is an olive based version of compound butters (or just plain butter) folks sometimes put on steaks.

That's essentially it. I've seen what I assume is the same thing in other areas with different names. Olive oil usually has that buttery taste and Italian restaurants have it by the bucket, so I'm sure that's how it started here. The south side of Des Moines has a very rich Italian history and has numerous little Mom and Pop Italian restaurants. Every one has a unique little twist on their sauces (pasta/pizza sauces included) and their pizza pies.

Not many times I've ever been disappointed with OO or butter with garlic and pepper on about anything. The nice thing about the oil version is you can continue to dredge each bite through the sauce for as much richness as you want each bite.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:57:46 AM by glitchy »

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 10:57:07 AM »

The nice thing about the oil version is you can continue to dredge each bite through the sauce for as much richness as you want each bite.

Now we are talking!!!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »

Steak was fabulous, but next time I’ll probably either just buy filets or just slice it without separating, not sure it’s worth all the work.

Oh!  Man!  I can see that it was worth the work.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

glitchy

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 12:40:53 PM »

Steak was fabulous, but next time I’ll probably either just buy filets or just slice it without separating, not sure it’s worth all the work.

Oh!  Man!  I can see that it was worth the work.

This steak was fabulous, no doubt, but not sure it was any better than the couple times I've bought cut filets from the store and made it. These four were the best four steaks out of an entire peeled tenderloin. I think I had 3 other 'whole' steaks, 3 or 4 more butterflied and a bunch of tenderloin tips. The butterflied are harder to cook perfectly, IMO. I guess all I'm saying is each time I buy a whole piece of beef, I end up somewhat disappointed with the yield and it seems like little true savings over buying the finished cuts.

Some of that also comes from the local grocery store too, they'll sell whole loins at good prices and then even cut and wrap them for free, but they usually don't listen to what I'm asking for and cut it up different than I'm really wanting. Last month I bought a whole short loin on sale and let them cut it with band saw. Told him I wanted 1.75"+...really whatever it takes to get 2-2.5 pounds per steak. You'd think being a butcher he'd know what that was. I ended up with a bunch of steaks around 1 and 3/4 pounds. Cooked yield after bone is not enough to satisfy 3 of us with one steak, totally ruining both the cost savings and portion control now that I'm cooking 2 each time we eat them.

For tenderloin, if I'm saving $4-5/lb, maybe I'd do it again, but less than that and I'll probably just buy the filets already cut. I'm not really trying to rant, I guess just elaborating so others can help me better understand what I'm missing as to why buying the whole pieces is better?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 01:35:39 PM »

Glitchy, what you write makes sense.  I really haven't given it that much thought.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »

If you Google de Burgo sauce you will get lots of versions of this sauce. This is one that sounded especially good to me.

Ingredients

2 Tbs. butter • 2- 8 oz Rube's Filet Mignon (or your favorite cut) • 1/4 c. white wine • 2 tsp. garlic paste • 1/2 tsp. each basil, thyme, oregano, sea salt • 1 c. cream • 1 Tbs. butter

Directions

In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add steaks. Brown on each side, approximately 3-4 minutes. Transfer steaks to baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes for medium rare. Save skillet and juices for the sauce. While the steaks cook, deglaze the skillet with wine, stirring frequently. Mix in all seasonings, allow to cook for 5 minutes. Add cream and stir often while sauce thickens and reduces. When sauce is reduced, stir in butter until melted. Spoon over steaks and serve.   :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

ZCZ

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 02:24:25 PM »

That looks like a killer sauce. Going to have to try that. Thanks for posting!
Al
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up