Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your grocery store like with the shut down?  (Read 1848 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: What is your grocery store like with the shut down?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 12:28:03 PM »

As long as I have a hose that runs outside or Mountain Run is flowing, I am OK!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 12:34:50 PM »

My brother is having a hard time finding supplies and in some cases meat for his BBQ business.  He is doing some catering now as his regular trailer schedule usually has him opening the weekend after Easter.  It sounds like Restaurant Depot is opening their stores to the public in some locations if not all.  Restaurant Store has opened their locations to the public via online ordering and storefront  pick up.  Most places online are out of stock on the supply items he needs to order.

I don't get why all of these supplies are needed by people who are staying at home in their house.  Its not like you are going to catch the virus if you don't go outside your house.  I have not heard any stories of that happening to date.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 06:18:59 PM »

My area is pretty much the same as everyone else's stories.  The thing I noticed over the last few days that is a little different though is the progression of what is out of stock.  Originally it was all the staples like you guys have mentioned.  The last couple times I've been to the store it is the snack food that has been the most wiped out.  Chips, ice cream, etc.  I think people are definitely stress eating. 

Flour has been the most consistently out of stock item I've seen since the whole thing started.  Luckily, I have a pretty good stock pile right now that I had before it began.  Probably 20 pounds high gluten, 10 pounds each of 00 caputo, bread, and all purpose.  I have been baking quite a bit during this thing.  Not out of necessity, but boredom. 

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 07:17:16 PM »

Got my TP stash by finding out when the truck would arrive at a major Walmart. That was last week.  Today I ordered a list of goods on their app. and will pick up tomorrow evening. Still a few things missing.  But we can make do. Happy with that method so far. I understand that the paper shelves are still mostly empty.  Also, could not get thick bacon from Wally.   :2cents:

David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 05:30:05 AM »

Costco now has senior hrs on tues. and thur. 8 to 10.  We went yesterday got there just after 7 am and got in line there was about 50 in front of us.  By 8 am there was about 200 behind us.  We did get TP and paper towels which we was getting very low on.
Memphis Elite Smoking Brothers 24 in Premier

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »

I told a friend in the business that anything left in stock during the height of the frenzy was a capital D-O-G.
He said his Freddie’s meat department was wiped clean except for a couple random packages and a full set of plant-based meat!

I told my wife essentially the same thing when I got back from my first trip when everything got bad. She asked when I got home how Kroger looked. I said you certainly know what xxxx people DONT want.

The frozen pizza aisle had about 3 lonely white spinach pizzas, and nothing else whatsoever. There was PLENTY of skim milk, but virtually all other milk, cream, and dairy products were gone.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »

For the most part the shelves are full. The few that aren't are the frozen food section.  The "bareness" reminds me of the very small stores in the jungles of South America.  Several shelves mostly empty. One

store I remember well had almost nothing. What stood out was ONE automotive battery. That was it.

Our large grocery stores are disinfected. The  carts are sectioned into 2 locations; disinfected + returned awaiting to be treated. Lots of 6 foot distancing markings. Check out.  Large plastic shield with debit + credit card unit in the window. The cashier wearing gloves and spraying down the belt after the customer leaves..Reusable bags frowned upon. The charge for plastic bags waved... The restocking personnel working, no masks or gloves. It is hard for them to distance themselves as people walking by are limited to the width of the aisles..

This is just the start of Covid-19 here in Canada. I can only assume things will be getting worse. Our local hospitals have run out of N95 masks/filters.They have asked the public to donate any they may have.

As my mother said about the 2ND World War (she was a nurse). As bad as war is, there is always some good that comes from it. I see that carrying over.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »

I went to Walmart (needed printer ink) and got some stuff there and then to HEB for the rest.  Plenty of meat and fresh veggies in both and quite a bit of stuff in the frozen section.  Walmart had plenty eggs and the milk section completely stocked, but I didn't look at HEB.  Plenty of paper plates and no napkins, paper towels or TP in both.  Walmart has no wipes for the carts and they weren't being cleaned by the staff.  HEB was the exact opposite and was like Canadian John's store with the dirty line and the clean line and you couldn't get one without using the provided alcohol gel.  I still don't get the TP thing either other than if you're told you have the virus you might soil your britches.

I feel like I'm doing another tour in Nam.  Hopefully no Agent Orange this time.
 :P

Thank you for your service in 'Nam Sshcorr!!
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 04:30:11 PM »

Went to Weis for a few things this afternoon.  Store was not overly crowded.  Most things were in stock.  Not unwrapped meat in the meat display case though.  TP aisle was empty but they did have rolls of Weis brand 2/$1.  Didn't look like many people were purchasing it, but I guess it will work if that is your only choice.  They offered to wipe off the handle with spray and a towel they would use.

I came home, washed my hands, put the groceries away, and then placed on order with Buffalo Wild Wings.  I was craving wings and was very hungry.  When I went to pick them up, I was the only customer there.  It has to be tough for these restaurants to even stay open.  Especially without selling as much alcohol as they normally do.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 05:29:22 PM »

The community around me started a FB page with a list of all the locally owned restaurants that are open getting together and posting menus and collecting some funds to help out the elderly that do not want to go out for pickup to provide delivery to them.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 05:47:05 PM »

The community around me started a FB page with a list of all the locally owned restaurants that are open getting together and posting menus and collecting some funds to help out the elderly that do not want to go out for pickup to provide delivery to them.

:clap:

okie smokie

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 07:35:24 PM »

Just picked up at Walmart. Everything was as ordered or approved as a substitute. I may not go inside again.  Nice free online service.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 08:56:47 PM »

“ It has to be tough for these restaurants to even stay open.  Especially without selling as much alcohol as they normally do.”

My favorite chicken restaurant (and bar) in Bermuda Dunes offers a 4-pack of wine or 6-pack of beer with their daily specials. Maybe there’s something in the liquor licensing that allows for retail sales.

You don't live in PA.  Only place to buy liquor is at State owned stores and they are all closed down for a week already.  Beer and wine just got approved to be sold at grocery stores about 5-6 years ago.

okie smokie

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2020, 04:58:05 PM »

Went to a local Braum's (ice cream and burger place that sells limited groceries, ie. milk, eggs, butter, fruits and some prepackaged meats.) Saw a little old lady with face mask. She was at the milk fridge and as I watched she handled every gallon of milk trying to find :2cents: the one with the longest "sell by" date.  She was probably not sick. But that was a good example of how the contagion can be spread, by contact with raw fruits, veggies, and moist refrigerated products. Lesson: " Don't pinch the tomatoes" etc etc. Wash all such purchases in soapy water before rinsing well and let room dry.
Note; I realize that the most common method of spread is by aerosol but don't get careless. :2cents:

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »

So I went to Meijers in Grand Haven a few days ago.
Arriving at the entrance/exit doors, a male shopper was exiting the store with his basket half full.
He was wearing a protective mask.
After exiting the store (by a few feet) he took his mask off and
lit up a cigarette.
Now there, my folks is a real health conscious individual.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up