Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your grocery store like with the shut down?  (Read 1849 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
What is your grocery store like with the shut down?
« on: March 24, 2020, 08:06:01 AM »

It has been interesting to watch the progression of my local grocery store over the last couple of weeks.

About 2 weeks ago, it was pretty normal.

Then about a week ago, it looked like locust had moved through whole sections. We had lots of fresh fruit and produce and fish/seafood, but the meat sections were completely empty -- nothing, even the high priced stuff was gone.  Bread, milk, egg, most cheese, ALL the ice cream and novelty ice cream, canned soup, pasta, pasta sauces, hand sanitizer, paper towels, napkins and toilet paper and frozen veggies all gone.  You could still buy lots of things to eat, but it was bizarre.

Went yesterday and a lot of things back to normal.  Still no ice cream -- come on people!!!  But lots of fresh fruit and veggies, meat lockers were all full (pretty light on any chicken but snagged a huge turkey for $1.49 a pound), bread, milk, pasta, pasta sauce, canned soup all on shelves.  Paper products and hand sanitizers and frozen veggies are still out and most of the eggs are gone, but store looked pretty normal.  So I wonder if we are done with the panic hoarding in Mayberry -- i.e Culpeper, Va.

What's it like for everyone else?

Peterwoody

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: What is your grocery store like with the shut down?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 08:28:52 AM »

Kristin, I hit the early senior shopping at Walmart in the Woodlands (TX) and was able to find most things except flour. Tons of paper products which people were still scooping up. Normal range of fruit/vegetables/meat/chicken et al. Some shelves were less packed than normal but I would guess they were 80 percent stocked. Mind you, this was 6.00 am!
Peter GMG Davey Crockett

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 08:33:41 AM »

Hi Kristin.  In my observations, both the supermarkets around us have gone through the exact same progression as you have indicated.  Interesting that both never seemed to suffer a shortage of seafood at all during the past couple of weeks.  Good for us since we like seafood.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »

Similar progression here but I have not been to a store since Friday morning.  Two Fridays ago, all chicken soup was gone (all 25+ kinds you can buy at a store), but you could any other kind of soup. I found that interesting.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 10:38:02 AM »

Pretty much the same here too.  Yesterday H-E-B had plenty of meat at 1 PM and quite a bit of bread, pasta and chips.  Almost everything frozen was still gone along with no paper products whatsoever.  There was plenty of beer but my neighbor went to Walmart and said it was almost gone.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 11:50:25 AM »

I have a pharmacy tech that lives with us. I drive him to his work which is right next to an Aldi. Aldi is doing a good job of keeping staples available such as meat, cheese, bread, eggs. It does it by imposing limits. I am smoking two more chuck roast now which they always have available. One thing I like about the Aldi meat is that it is sealed and has a long shelf life in the refrigerator. That means I can buy it and cook it several days later. That is easier and safer than freezing and defrosting. My regular market is an Albertson's. They have some variety that Aldi does not have but are missing some basics like bread and eggs. Lines have not been bad lately at either market. They were awful at the start of the lock down but have settled down.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »

We have went to Walmart and Winn Dixie in the past week.  We were able to find most items we needed for an extended lock down at home.  But meat is hard to find.  Walmart only had some chicken and ground beef.  Luckily we have a chest freezer full that will support us for an extended lock down.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:00:58 PM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 03:16:35 PM »

Costco designated senior hours Tue and Thur.   We went and got there right at the time they were supposed to open the doors.  The line went across the front down the side and 3/4 way around the back of the store.  Had no idea there were that many seniors that would get up that early to get TP.  We detoured and went to another store.   Wouldn't stand in a line like that if they were giving away free ribeyes off a grill.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 03:35:22 PM »

Costco designated senior hours Tue and Thur.   We went and got there right at the time they were supposed to open the doors.  The line went across the front down the side and 3/4 way around the back of the store.  Had no idea there were that many seniors that would get up that early to get TP.  We detoured and went to another store.   Wouldn't stand in a line like that if they were giving away free ribeyes off a grill.

My brother and I (non seniors) went to Sam's Club on Saturday for their delayed 9am opening.  The line was similar.  It went fast though.  Getting there at 9:15am would have been ideal if you weren't in search of home goods toiletries and paper goods.  Plenty of food items.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 08:18:25 PM »

My wife and I also went to the local (Vista, CA) Costco's senior hour this morning and got there at 8:10. I figured the early arrivals would have been inside by 8:10. Boy, was I wrong. There were two lines - one for seniors and another for the 10 am regular opening.

Grabbed a cart and headed for the back of the senior line. It went around the side and past an adjacent building about the same size as Costco and then along the front of that one.

Even though the line was around a half mile long, we were inside in less than a half hour. Never again.

At 8 this morning, the lot was completely full. I ended up driving past it around 2 pm and the lot was half empty. Lesson learned.

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 09:57:13 PM »

Check out line at my Costco in MN last Friday AM.  Backed way up into the aisles.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The store was well stocked except for TP (I don’t get it, really?), no hand sanitizer and no wipes.

Obviously my move to CA is on hold. Daughters & their families are fine.

Alan
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:58:52 PM by ZCZ »
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 07:45:47 AM »

I have a Costco that is about 45 miles away.  There are two Sam's Clubs (opposite directions) and they are both about 40 miles away.  These are too far away to me to drive for just a few items and maybe not finding these items at this time.  My local grocers and Walmart have most everything I need except for meat.  We had to buy bigger bags of some stuff and our pantry is getting overloaded.  One example is rice.  All we could find is 5 pound bags and we got the last one. 

Being we have a motorhome sitting right beside our house.  It is being switched over to be our pantry.  Dollar General has started to be our quick go to place (3 miles away vs 10 miles to town).  If we normally need a can or two of soup we get twice that much.  This is all to be prepared in case one of us gets sick and we are not able to get out at all.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 08:15:16 AM »

We had to go pick up the GF's mothers car and take to the shop Saturday. I wanted a few things and figured we would stop at a local chain, not realizing this store closed at 6pm others are open ill 8 or 9 and I had never been into this one. We had 15 minutes left. Produce was decent meat had some product left, I wanted a chuck roast and a whole chicken ended up with sirloin tip roast 2 roaster chickens and a pack of wings. Freezer sections were well stocked did not go down any isles. They had eggs and dairy. Over all the meat section was the worse hit here.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 09:09:48 AM »

I wish someone could explain the TP situation.  I mean, there have to be people with whole rooms stcked to the rafters with TP.  Just a bizarre thing to hoard in my mind.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »

:pig:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up