Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your grocery store like with the shut down?  (Read 1837 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: What is your grocery store like with the shut down?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2020, 05:29:56 PM »

Went to my regular grocery and it is almost back to normal.  Still a few bare spots and no paper goods at all, but finally eggs, chicken, milk, bread and all sorts of meat.  They even had a two for one on corned beef so had to participate in that.  Of most importance -- they had ice cream finally!!!!! :cool:

I guess I will know it is completely normal when I can see some TP on shelves again.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 05:56:52 PM »

There is a local ice cream store a few miles from me where the two high school daughters of a good friend of mine work.  Got an email from a local meat market/grocery store today who's mailing list that I am on.  The email said the ice cream placed had to shut down due to the pandemic (didn't explain why), but that they transported the freezers from the ice cream shop to the market so the company could still continue to sell their ice cream they make.  Nice community teamwork there!
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2020, 05:58:17 PM »

we went today for a couple of staples for us and called her grandparents and her mother to see if they needed anything. Grandparents gave her a list. The store we went to, a locally owned supermarket, was pretty good with everything,  limited to 1 dozen eggs, meat case was decent, although prices were up from what they were, freezers were pretty normal looking. Pretty much the whole store looked fairly normal except for paper and cleaning products. I still find it odd that one can not find certain things like lysol wipes, hand sanitizer, and toilet paper. paper towels, klenex and napkins were decent. Here in PA we are not home bound yet in the county we live in but westmorland county next to us is, I wanted to go that way shopping but wasn't sure how it works with the say at home mandate. I think it will get worse before it gets better here. The Gf got her paperwork for her to travel when it hits our county.

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2020, 09:42:38 PM »

The two supermarkets I typically shop seem almost back to normal, with the exception of sanitizing products and paper products.  I went to local Costco this afternoon and same thing there. 

I saw a few post ago discussion on restaurants not making as much money because they are not selling as much alcohol.  Most of the restaurants around here that have liquor licenses are also selling take out beer/wine with meals.  Pretty sure the restaurants are not selling take out booze. 

I am in NJ which is in a full stay at home situation based on the directions given by the governor.  There are even parks in the state closing down to keep folks from congregating in groups in those environments.  All retail has been shut down, with the exception of curb pick up.  The other exceptions include food stores, LIQUOR STORES and walk-in automobile repair type shops (Autozone / Pep boys / Jiffy Lube as examples).  I guess we have our priorities right, closing most retail except liquor stores (sarcasm).  Just this week there was a big uproar about why bicycle shops are not allowed open when car shops are, so this week bicycle shops are allowed open again, but only for repair work, not for sales.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2020, 02:50:22 PM »

Picked up some Q at the local BBQ restaurant yesterday and had to step inside to get their attention.  Surprised to see that they were busier than when open for business.  Less employees present, loaded with take out orders, and waitress said it is that way all day.  So it appears that some of the restaurants can be doing very well in spite of this crisis. Not sure whether the employees at  home are being compensated.  I had to come back later since my two brisket loaded potatoes were not ready, (ran out of baked potatoes).  Worked out fine. 

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2020, 01:31:31 PM »

I live in a small town, about 12 minutes from a modest size city (Jackson Michigan), and about 25 minutes from a College town ( Ann Arbor Michigan ). 

Last time I was in Ann Arbor was about three weeks ago, and there was a line about 500 deep waiting to get into Costco 20 minutes before they were to open.  I decided I didn't need my hearing aid batteries enough to wait in that line, so I went home and ordered some. Last I knew they were selling gas for $1.25.

In Jackson, I've been going to Sam's club about once a week or so, and aside from there not being things like toilet paper most of the time ( although they had a bunch on Wednesday, but was gone on Thursday ). That Sam's is not too busy really, very easy to keep 6 feet from others.  Gas was $1.34 but I didn't really need any...

The small local store is basically only allowing like 50 people in at a time, and you have to wait outside, until someone leaves.

All in all, where I'm at , things aren't too bad...  However, I do live a hour away from Detroit, which is one of the top 5 hot spots in the country I believe.  Fortunately , I don't really have any need to go anywhere near Detroit.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »

And here I thought our $1.53/gal was a good price for gas.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

dk117

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 02:06:55 PM »

And here I thought our $1.53/gal was a good price for gas.
This is killing me.  $3.09 here in Washington State. 

Then again, it's not like we're using much gas these days.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 02:14:53 PM »

That's the worse part,  now, when gas is about the same price as it was when I graduated high school 40 years ago,  I can't really go anywhere.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »

Due to a multitude of health problems I do not get out a whole lot anyway, but do you all think that this stay home policy precludes me from just driving around sight seeing?  ???
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:40:19 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2020, 02:34:16 PM »

Due to a multitude of health problems I do not get out a whole lot anyway, but do you all think that this stay policy home precludes me from just driving around sight seeing?  ???

According to our local law enforcement, yes.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2020, 02:53:35 PM »

That's probably true, but it's ok for people to walk/run on the streets, hike on the trails and ride bikes on the streets where there are other people but I can't ride around alone in my air conditioned car, ridicules. Needless to say that I'm going to tour South Mountain this afternoon anyway.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2020, 03:11:37 PM »

I personally don't think t here's any real risk to just going out for a drive.  I suppose technically, unless your going out for food, or something 'essential' , you'd be violating the stay home edicts.  ( if you live in a area where they are active ).

I do know from personal experience, that...  well my car would not start when I got ready to leave Sam's Club, my first thought was... I wonder who has jumper cables, then I wondered if I should even ask someone for a jump. Eventually the cart gathering person came out near me, and I asked if the Automotive was open or not ( they had signs saying it was closed ).  He told me they are available for emergencies.   My battery was bought at Sam's like 11 months ago, the tested it and were going to replace it for me, but it just happened that their computer system was completely down.  So, they eventually jumped my car for me, and I got home.

My point...   I think to some degree , driving around locally, just to get out of the house, is not a horrible thing. You can always 'need' a loaf of bread or something anyway.  Just be aware that sooner or later, something unexpected could happen, like your battery going dead.

Anyway, I personally would not have a problem going for a short drive for 'fun'.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »

I was not out of the house for about 5-6 days and decided to go through the McD's drive thru for lunch yesterday just to get out of the house and drive for a few miles.  Probably would have been better staying home rather than eating a double big mac and large fries, but I needed some comfort.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 03:43:44 PM »

It's not a matter of being personally opposed to it.  I am just repeating an interview by our local law enforcement that said "stay at home" means "stay at home" and they specifically mentioned folks should not be just driving around.  Makes no sense to me, but then I am not one that believes in this concept as a blanket approach.  But, based on what you all are saying, doesn't seem most Americans wll be able to follow "stay at home".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up