Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: corn on the cob.  (Read 964 times)

1MoreFord

• Using less gas.
  • Central Arkansas
Re: corn on the cob.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 06:44:44 PM »

This isn't related to cooking corn on the cob, but how to remove the husk and silk easily after cooking.
Haven't tried it yet myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J89FJcHJ1pQ

It is related to cooking corn as it comes out of the shuck cooked and ready to eat.

However it's also the way I shuck corn prior to "cooking" it on the grill.

Pull it out of the microwave and put on the grill for some char and flavor.  Don't  need to butter prior to grilling.  I've not tried smoking it, just grilling after nuking it.
Joe

Falcon Mk V gas grill, OK Joe Longhorn - gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef SG24, Weber 22" OTG

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 08:12:59 PM »

Try smoking it after nuking, per JD's thread.  It's a welcome addition to the corn flavor.

I'm still looking for the best temperature.  Maybe JD can chime in with a recommendation based on his experiment.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

NorCal Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 09:26:21 PM »

I always take off the husk. I either cook directly over the heat, rotating every 10 minutes or so, or I wrap in foil with butter and seasoning. Both always come out great.  That said, I will have to try in the husk after what I am reading here,

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 10:17:53 AM »

Try smoking it after nuking, per JD's thread.  It's a welcome addition to the corn flavor.

I'm still looking for the best temperature.  Maybe JD can chime in with a recommendation based on his experiment.

The details are a little vague, it was not a very well documented experiment! I think the temp was in the 200*-225* range. The four different ears were all on the grill the same ammount of time and I left them on for what seemed like a very long time, probably a couple of hours. The unhusked and de-silked ones were probably over cooked, but still not bad. If I remember correctly for the lunch I ended up cooking the corn unhusked at a little higher temp, I want to say 250* for about 45 minutes. It turned out quite nice. To get any kind of smoke flavor, you would need to husk the corn. I hadn't thought about nuking it first, that would be interesting to try!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 05:45:57 PM »

I never have.  It is 3 minutes in the husk in the microwave.

My brother roasts it at his BBQ trailer because he gets it from the corn farmer whose property he parks on.  I think he roasts it for a few hours in the husk at about 200°-225° on his pit with hickory wood.

Yep, for basic corn that's it.  On the grill for a bit of marking is great for mexican corn. 
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 05:48:55 PM »

This isn't related to cooking corn on the cob, but how to remove the husk and silk easily after cooking.
Haven't tried it yet myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J89FJcHJ1pQ

Mqwave for 8 minutes for 4 corn in the husk.  Let sit for 4 min.  Cut off the fat end so your cutting through the husk and into the corn.  Then grab the silk/husk end and shake like a fool over the sink.  You now have cooked corn, no husk and no silk.....
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »

I am opportunistic with corn; same with potatoes. If I am smoking something, I will put corn on the top shelf, or on the side, depending on what I am using. I usually wrap it in foil. I take advantage of any spare BTU. I am thinking of doing some fire roast corn though. That sounds really tasty. I have not done it before.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 08:26:50 PM »

I am thinking of doing some fire roast corn though. That sounds really tasty. I have not done it before.

I did some a few weeks ago and my bride mixed it with I don't know what because she wanted Mexican street corn.  I was not impressed but told her the bite I had was good.  I think it was mayo, which ain't on my list of favorites.  Of course mustard would have been worse even though I like it.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up