Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion thread for Pit Boss 5.5 cu ft Vertical Smoker Product Review  (Read 31038 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Re: Discussion Thread for Pit Boss 5.5 cu. ft. Vertical Pellet Smoker
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »

If I win, I will go buy cans of biscuits and do a can per shelf 2 cans if you want Grands.

Who am I kidding I don't win anything. But still thinking I may have one of these.

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2018, 06:39:36 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but going back to 6 convection fan discussion, what would a convection fan add to the equation that the already installed draft fan doesn’t?    Is it just a matter of additional air flow/circulation?    In an oven I can understand the concept, but with an exhaust chimney it seems increasing the air flow is just hurrying the heat to the exit and out of the chamber.
I've always felt that it would repeatedly circulate the smokey hot air and cause more even temperature as a result. So rather than having the heat simply flow up once and out the chimney,  it'd get blown around the cooking chamber much more.

Ok, I get the thinking, but I’m skeptical, to me it seems similar to trying to change the flow of a river, and, obviously to a lesser extent but for the same reason the oven convection fan turns off when you open the door, it seems you would be forcing it out more than circulating resulting in increased pellet consumption.    All that said, I do agree if would be a interesting experiment. 
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2018, 06:40:38 PM »

It isn't so much the bacteria, but the toxins left behind from the bacteria that make one sick. No temp will get rid of them.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »

I think the bacteria have to be active to produce the toxins!  So yes, if you are putting chicken or anything in a pit that has bacteria that is already so active that it has produced toxins, you have some larger issues with cleanliness to deal with in your life!

Salmonella, Listeria, E.coli will kill you!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:53:52 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2018, 09:33:29 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but going back to the convection fan discussion, what would a convection fan add to the equation that the already installed draft fan doesn’t?    Is it just a matter of additional air flow/circulation?    In an oven I can understand the concept, but with an exhaust chimney it seems increasing the air flow is just hurrying the heat to the exit and out of the chamber.

There's more than one atmosphere of pressure in the pit because the combustion fan blows in.  I'm thinking that the convection fan won't add any more air pressure to blow the heat and smoke out, it will just mix it.

It seems to work well in Bradley Smokers that have a chimney and no combustion fan and, additionally, why does Memphis put two convection fans in their pits? 
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2018, 11:54:50 AM »

The last post makes me realize I have not done any smoke output video.  Not as concerned with that as it does smoke well, but with the glass front you can see the smoke.  I am not motivated to cook today, not sure why, just cant seem to get going.  Only thing I have done is get chicken in Brine.  I guess I will try and clean glass, prep ribs, and put on at 275°.  And maybe video the start up, so you can see the smoke movement in the pit!

All I can say right now is, don't hold your breath on this happening today!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2018, 02:25:54 PM »

That seemed like a pretty heavy white smoke....or was that just my imagination.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2018, 02:38:55 PM »

I was afraid folks might think that, gray day, white background...I guess I need to run a few night time minutes so folks can see it is blue...and not that chocking white.  Rest assured it is not.  The Pork Belly proved that to me.

That seemed like a pretty heavy white smoke....or was that just my imagination.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:49:22 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2018, 02:48:23 PM »

Pretty sure this is a constant fan...but that is a question for the Manufacture and it seems that Camp Chef is the only one that wants to interact on this site!

Once at temp, the Pellet Pro controller pulses the fan, the temp rises and smoke generation falls off.  I do not know if the Pit Boss controller behaves the same, but it sure sounds similar in the way smoke is produced.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »

Did you try anymore trail bologna to see if the flavor changed sitting in the fridge?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »

I have, to me no change, it is good! Smoke stayed within balance!

Like I said, I am going to imagine it is semi shelf stable.  Meaning it could be taken hiking and you not have to worry about it going bad.  It is a cheese & cracker snack I think!  You have it as a very casual or derv (yeah, I cant spell).  I got hung up on the bologna (I love the stuff) part, and it is much more of a summer sausage type thing.  I guarantee you I would never consider eating summer sausage with eggs and toast!

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2018, 05:52:51 PM »

Looks like pretty good smoke to me...  does it do ok on up towards 250F?
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »

Bentley, when you get a chance, can you post a pic of the hook that goes into the side walls to hold the racks?  I am curious to see what could be fabricated to get more racks into the unit.  Looks like you could fit 10-12 racks to make jerky.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2018, 08:52:19 PM »

thanks...didn't realize it was the whole channel thought it was just a small hook

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #254 on: April 06, 2018, 09:11:15 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but going back to the convection fan discussion, what would a convection fan add to the equation that the already installed draft fan doesn’t?    Is it just a matter of additional air flow/circulation?    In an oven I can understand the concept, but with an exhaust chimney it seems increasing the air flow is just hurrying the heat to the exit and out of the chamber.
Actually increased air flow makes the fire burn hotter (more O2) thus the temp goes up in spite of the increased exhaust.  Fuel and O2 is what determines the temp. Of course you run out of pellets much sooner. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24   Go Up