Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke-n-Hot Grills...Too! The Eco.  (Read 27347 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Smoke-n-Hot Grills...Too! The Eco.
« Reply #255 on: December 18, 2019, 06:29:34 PM »

I usually buy one or two this time of year.  Smoke them for an hour or two, sous vide for 8+ hours, and slice for sandwiches.  It falls apart in your mouth.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #256 on: December 18, 2019, 11:14:46 PM »

That is a fine cook of meat my friend.

RanrocSmoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2019, 03:34:40 AM »

That is a fine cook of meat my friend.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I was pleasantly surprised it came out looking just like I hoped, but was kicking myself for the amount of salt I put. The outer crust was salty, not the inner parts. But I wanted to really enjoy the spices I put together. There’s always next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #258 on: December 19, 2019, 04:43:13 AM »

That looks terrific. Nicely done.

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #259 on: December 19, 2019, 08:18:45 AM »

That looks terrific. Nicely done.
Thanks, yorkdude! I feel like I should’ve bought two instead of the one, but this morning I see that the local Winn Dixie has choice rib roasts for $5.99/lbs so I might pick up a couple this week and give it another try.

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

yorkdude

« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2019, 09:24:22 AM »

Tis the season for the almighty rib roast's and that is a GOOD thing.
Yours really did look absolutely fantastic.

yorkdude

« Reply #261 on: December 19, 2019, 09:26:44 AM »

I usually buy one or two this time of year.  Smoke them for an hour or two, sous vide for 8+ hours, and slice for sandwiches.  It falls apart in your mouth.
I have got to try this. What temp do you sous vide at? I like a rare rib roast.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #262 on: December 19, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »

I have got to try this. What temp do you sous vide at? I like a rare rib roast.

135°
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #263 on: June 26, 2020, 09:39:24 PM »

Hey all! Hope you and yours are staying safe and as healthy as possible.

Another member messaged me a few weeks ago about my experience with the Eco grill. I wrote that member back, and since it was close to the 1 year mark of owning and using this grill, I decided to use my response as my 1 yr update (and I mentioned in my reply to the member that I might do this).

So, after 1 year with the SNH grill, here are my thoughts (from my reply to the member's questions):

I mostly use it as a grill (chicken, burgers and steaks) and less a smoker. But I did do an 18 pound brisket (about 13 pounds after trimming, and I separated flat from point) and spare ribs over the last two weeks. The brisket took less than 8 hours at 240*.

As far as issues, in December, the igniter went out. I didn’t know it was the igniter that was causing the problem (outlet tripped whenever I tried to start the grill). I emailed the owner and he immediately diagnosed the issue and sent me a new igniter no questions asked. I had to splice the wires to make the new connection because the igniter has a different connector, but he e-mailed me exactly what needed to be done. I think everything is from China.

The body of the unit is actually what I’ve been wanting. I like that it’s stainless steel. No body rust after almost having it a year. I think the fire pot chimney design is unique and efficient. Very little to no ash gets on my food unless I have the flame shield open.  I can easily convert to use as a charcoal grill if I wanted since the bottom of the cooking chamber is flat and the burn pot is outside of the cook chamber, a really unique design (I have used charcoal on it to sear steaks).

The controller is basic. No Wi-Fi, but I don’t leave my cooks unattended. The meat temp probe works well and the controller always goes to warming mode when the meat probe reaches its target temp.

Smoking meat, I found that the more food, and larger foods like brisket, keep temps more stable. Smoke flavor is there. It’s not creosote or acrid dirt smoke like I’d get sometimes when I first started to cook on my Weber kettle (charcoal) years ago, but I prefer a cleaner smoke anyway.

I did recently buy a smoke tube out of curiosity and to learn to cold smoke. In my opinion, it’s WAY too smokey! It can definitely overpower the flavor of the food itself, and while it’s been a nice way to add variety to cooks, it’s not necessary to me. The controller does a great job itself imparting smoke to the food.

The cover it came with sucks. It was pretty much disintegrating within the first 6 months and I kept the unit under a covered patio for the first several months with the cover. Water from the sprinkler system and rain still got in it. To be fair I have a brand new cover I bought from Home Depot that looks and feels more durable and better material, but water still gets in! Not a big deal as long as the pellets stay dry.

You might have read about the back burn issue I had a while back. I made adjustments to the controller and fan speed with help from the manufacturer. Everything worked fine. But when I made a switch to using Lumberjack Charcoal Hickory pellets, the fan speed was too fast, pellets burning too hot and fast, blowing flames into the pellet shoot.

Never got a full burn back but it definitely got hot enough to burn the pellet dust on the pellet shoot and cause smoke to go into the hopper (not a big deal but the fan is too powerful for the unit, and the manufacturer even wrote me that that’s why they originally had to tune it down on the programming of the controller).

After contacting Lumberjack Pellets, they confirmed to me that the Char Hickory pellet burns hotter and faster than their 100% Oak pellet. So, I reverted back to the original fan speeds. It works just fine now. If I switch to a different pellet that burns cooler and slower, I may have to change the fan speeds again to accommodate, but it's really easy to do.

BTW, looking back, I now think that my initial burn back problem was caused by wet pellets. My first couple of uses, the unit got caught in a rain storm and pellets got wet where the hopper meets the auger tube. They didn’t burn completely, leading to less heat, causing more wet pellets to be added, ultimately causing a backlog that burned all along the pelllet shoot ramp. (I had to seal with high temp caulk).

Checking the unit to make sure things are dry, especially in the burn pot area has made for smooth cooks.

---
That's the end of my response to the user, and essentially that's the gist of my experience with the unit.
I'd buy it again, as I just love the thing. No rust, all stainless, and so easy to make food I enjoy. It was a great price, and I hope the manufacturer stays in business long enough to make other products.

-RrS
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #264 on: June 27, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »

Good report. Glad you are getting good results.  :clap:

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »

Good report. Glad you are getting good results.  :clap:
Hey thanks okie!

Throughout all this, I keep forgetting to mention how surprised I am on how quiet this grill is. Before buying it, I would watch videos on other units and I’d hear how loud the fans were. Even the GMG units at local stores were pretty loud.  I was prepared for the same. But, this grill isn’t loud at all even running at full blast. I bet the heat shield/drip pan design has a lot to do with that since it’s enclosed.

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

Jlm5151

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #266 on: August 22, 2020, 10:24:12 AM »

Any word on if this company is still around? I found a brand new KC unit on Marketplace for a great price, but am a little worried about long term service. Anyone been able to find replace parts online if need be? I have an old Memphis Select and I thought this might be a decent upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:37:04 AM by Jlm5151 »

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #267 on: August 22, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »

Any word on if this company is still around? I found a brand new KC unit on Marketplace for a great price, but am a little worried about long term service. Anyone been able to find replace parts online if need be? I have an old Memphis Select and I thought this might be a decent upgrade.
I haven’t reached out to them since December of last year, via email. Let me know if you want the email and I can PM them to you.

I don’t think they’re updating their website or the Amazon pages they had set up for product info. I’m thinking they are not in business anymore, but don’t quote me on that.

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #268 on: August 22, 2020, 04:12:24 PM »

The Smoke-n-Hot web site directed me to Amazon when I clicked on "Where to get yours."  Amazon lists them as "Currently unavailable."

Not a good sign.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2020, 04:50:10 PM »

Sounds like you are still happy with your SNH. When I first spoke to the partner who was available, I found him to be pleasant and helpful.  When I changed my mind the unit was already in my city, but not delivered.  I made the return without ever having possession of the pit. I had the cover which had been sent earlier (it was for the KC model?). He just told me to keep it.  That was the last time I had any contact.  I note that the website was still the post office from which it ships. (he works out of his house--or did).  I think the units are warehoused in another state.  That is all I can offer.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Up