Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Author Topic: Smoke-n-Hot Grills...Too! The Eco.  (Read 27350 times)

RanrocSmoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Smoke-n-Hot Grills...Too! The Eco.
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2019, 02:31:32 PM »

Also, in case anyone was wondering about the brisket that I finished in the oven last night (it was done around 11a today). I think I'm going to stick with steak LOL!

It needed a lot more salt than I put. It was a 9 pound Choice "whole" brisket (very small point). The thinner part of the Flat was dry, but more moist toward the center. The Point was succulent and delicious!!!

First pic...what it looked like after several hours on the grill, and right before putting in the oven.
Second pic...what it looked like what it came out of the oven (pulled at 195, probed like butter all over)
Third pic...slicing the Flat
Last pic...trying to slice up the point.
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2019, 03:16:40 PM »

If you didn't like the brisket, make it into chili.

I think the diagnosis of wet pellets makes sense, but I never had that happen with pellets in the fire pot or in the auger tube.  I would need to see some pictures as to how you thought the water got into the area that got the pellets wet.  And yes, they disintegrate into saw dust when they get wet, and then often times harden like concrete if you get a wet pellet auger jam.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »

Hope you don't think I am pushy, if so I apologize. But two things of note:
1: I see you used aluminum foil to wrap the wires inside near the auger/slide and also at the external plug insertion. An electrician got all over me about that. It is possible to get a serious shock when the plug gets wet and you touch the aluminum foil or if a piece of the foil gets into the plug area.  Also around the wires, if there is any damage to the wires, you can get shocked or blow out your controls etc.
2: In picture #9-- I am concerned that there is a gap where the auger tube meets the slide tube. Pellets might escape or lodge in the opening.  Might also cause a build up to block the slide.  Am I seeing that gap correctly at the bottom of the auger tube?? Might be worth asking Dan (at SNH)about that.

No need to apologize...I also started playing Pickleball, and just as with that, I am open to learning and suggestions!

Regarding your items:
1. Makes sense. I removed the foil. The wires didn't have any singe from the flames, and I think these are really high temp wires like for thermometer probes. They look like braided metal, but painted. I agree, they should be fine and I don't wanna risk getting shocked!
2. It's really hard to tell from the angle, but I do believe that the auger tube overlaps the pellet slide enough. The only thing that gets blown back has been pellet dust, but I've not seen any evidence of pellets (whole or in pieces) on the fan or around that area. But to your point, it doesn't seemed sealed at all.
You might be right on about the overlap.  It might serve to let the pellet dust drain out without losing pellets.  Will check mine when delivered tomorrow.  I think you are on the way to satisfaction with your smoker now.Congratulations.

okie smokie

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2019, 03:37:46 PM »

I think the diagnosis of wet pellets makes sense, but I never had that happen with pellets in the fire pot or in the auger tube.  I would need to see some pictures as to how you thought the water got into the area that got the pellets wet.  And yes, they disintegrate into saw dust when they get wet, and then often times harden like concrete if you get a wet pellet auger jam.

I suspect that since the lid does not latch, that the rain just blew up under it.  Or might even have lifted it. Took a lot of wind to blow that chair into the smoker. I noted that there was adherent smudges around and inside the pellet drop.  Only way I know to make that is with moisture. 
I am fortunate to have a deep covered porch. That and the cover should keep it dry.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:39:32 PM by okie smokie »

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2019, 03:43:25 PM »

Good suggestion on the chili. I usually just slice and make sandwiches with some mustard.

I’ll try to get a few pics of the back of the hopper (Unless Okie beats me to it with his this week) It’s totally open.

Water must’ve gotten in through there during the rain (hitting the grill lid, splashing into the back of the hopper onto the pellets).

The backside of the controller housing was drenched, so I don’t see why water couldn’t have gone through the back of the hopper as well in the same manner. I guess anything is possible and the wet pellet theory is possible to me. We’ll see how things go with this fresh bag this week. Either way, I’ll be more mindful of the burn pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2019, 05:37:45 PM »

Good suggestion on the chili. I usually just slice and make sandwiches with some mustard.

I’ll try to get a few pics of the back of the hopper (Unless Okie beats me to it with his this week) It’s totally open.

Water must’ve gotten in through there during the rain (hitting the grill lid, splashing into the back of the hopper onto the pellets).

The backside of the controller housing was drenched, so I don’t see why water couldn’t have gone through the back of the hopper as well in the same manner. I guess anything is possible and the wet pellet theory is possible to me. We’ll see how things go with this fresh bag this week. Either way, I’ll be more mindful of the burn pot.

Think I will go get some of that red gasket maker that they use on the inside of the Rec Tecs to keep the moisture out of the pit and hopper. Just run a bead onto all those seams inside should be worth the effort.  Can't wait. 

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »

Think I will go get some of that red gasket maker that they use on the inside of the Rec Tecs to keep the moisture out of the pit and hopper. Just run a bead onto all those seams inside should be worth the effort.  Can't wait.
Can you PM me a link?

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2019, 05:41:45 AM »

I actually had the same problem with a fire that backed up into the auger tube on a long cook that I did.  I thought it was a one off, but if you had it happen, then perhaps it's not.  I keep my pellets and pit in my garage, so wet pellets weren't the problem.  I noticed when I saw this happen that there were some unburned pellets on the slide still, so I'm wondering if the slide needs to be a bit steeper.  I'm thinking that on a long cook when you get some ash build up, the pellets that don't fall into the burn pot right away then catch fire on the slide, and then when they turn to ash on the slide, they block the it so that the pellets really start to back up to the tube.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2019, 07:39:31 AM »

Even more reason for me to come back to something being wrong with how the fan in the fire pot is performing.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »

I actually had the same problem with a fire that backed up into the auger tube on a long cook that I did.  I thought it was a one off, but if you had it happen, then perhaps it's not.  I keep my pellets and pit in my garage, so wet pellets weren't the problem.  I noticed when I saw this happen that there were some unburned pellets on the slide still, so I'm wondering if the slide needs to be a bit steeper.  I'm thinking that on a long cook when you get some ash build up, the pellets that don't fall into the burn pot right away then catch fire on the slide, and then when they turn to ash on the slide, they block the it so that the pellets really start to back up to the tube.
Thanks GatorDave.

It only happened once? Did you do anything differently after that time of happened? Do you recall the type of pellets you used?

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2019, 08:51:54 AM »

Even more reason for me to come back to something being wrong with how the fan in the fire pot is performing.

I agree that the fan performance should not be ruled out (not really anything else at this point, LOL!)

I need to keep using the grill and I’ll try to remember to check the pellet slide to see if anything was left on it after a session like GatorDave mentioned.

It could be a combination of things too.

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2019, 09:05:01 AM »

Thanks GatorDave.

It only happened once? Did you do anything differently after that time of happened? Do you recall the type of pellets you used?

I've only done the one brisket cook.  My other cooks have only been half day and I didn't have any issues.  The brisket cook was an overnight cook, and this is the one I had problems with.  What I think is happening is that some of the pellets don't slide all of the way down the chute.  When new pellets dump in, it knocks the others down into the firepot.  On a long cook after the ash builds up, I think the heat is able to reach the pellets stuck on the chute and ignites them there, which backs it up into the auger tube.  I don't know this for sure, but I am going to check this out on my next cook.  On my brisket cook when I noticed the smoke coming out of the pellet box, I opened it and did see burning pellets on the chute.  I may now have to see if there is a way to make the chute steeper since apparently it's not an isolated issue.

okie smokie

« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2019, 02:13:58 PM »

I may have a reasonable explanation after studying the design of this pellet drop system.  All the others I have seen with a drop system have the fire pot in an open space below so that the fan can blow debris and ash away into the bottom of the pit. pg500 does, Louisiana type does, and the others as well.  This pit has the pot in an enclosed chimney 7 inches high.  Also the pellet drop opening is down almost to the fire pot.  So if there is a pile up, of ash or pellet pieces, they don't have anywhere to go.  Too much updraft is needed to carry them out of the chimney area.  Doesn't take long for this to pile up into the pellet drop area.  Since it is not wise to dump the pot while cooking, this will be a problem on long cooks.  Especially with low temps and usually lower fan speeds.
I am going to call the seller today, and send mine back.  I don't want to spend the next years trouble shooting this thing. Sorry for my mistake and enthusiasm.  :(

Note: He called me after I submitted a cancel request to Amazon to inquire as to my reasons.  He was very gracious and just wanted my input.  He said that the fan speeds on low slow cooks might be too slow and that he would adjust the control so as to move out the ash. Perhaps he has communicated with you already about that.  Also some additional adjustments were also implied.
Sorry for any ill advice I may have offered. I suspect that after his involvement with you those problems will be resolved.  As for me, I will refrain from further comments but will be interested in following this page. 

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2019, 06:17:16 PM »

I may have a reasonable explanation after studying the design of this pellet drop system.  All the others I have seen with a drop system have the fire pot in an open space below so that the fan can blow debris and ash away into the bottom of the pit. pg500 does, Louisiana type does, and the others as well.  This pit has the pot in an enclosed chimney 7 inches high.  Also the pellet drop opening is down almost to the fire pot.  So if there is a pile up, of ash or pellet pieces, they don't have anywhere to go.  Too much updraft is needed to carry them out of the chimney area.  Doesn't take long for this to pile up into the pellet drop area.  Since it is not wise to dump the pot while cooking, this will be a problem on long cooks.  Especially with low temps and usually lower fan speeds.
I am going to call the seller today, and send mine back.  I don't want to spend the next years trouble shooting this thing. Sorry for my mistake and enthusiasm.  :(

Note: He called me after I submitted a cancel request to Amazon to inquire as to my reasons.  He was very gracious and just wanted my input.  He said that the fan speeds on low slow cooks might be too slow and that he would adjust the control so as to move out the ash. Perhaps he has communicated with you already about that.  Also some additional adjustments were also implied.
Sorry for any ill advice I may have offered. I suspect that after his involvement with you those problems will be resolved.  As for me, I will refrain from further comments but will be interested in following this page.

No worries. I think you offered solutions to what could be happening and I appreciate that. I’m going to continue to share my experience with this cooker. I’m hopeful that everyone can learn from these posts (including myself!). There are all types of pellet grills out there and I think sharing info is the best way to make things better in this industry!

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2019, 06:25:36 PM »

This has been a great thread so far.

Okie, maybe it's best to stick with the devil you know in your Blazn.  Seems like you really understand how it works for you and made some nice modifications to it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up