Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your grocery store like with the shut down?  (Read 1981 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: What is your grocery store like with the shut down?
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2020, 03:49:28 PM »

It's not a matter of being personally opposed to it.  I am just repeating an interview by our local law enforcement that said "stay at home" means "stay at home" and they specifically mentioned folks should not be just driving around.  Makes no sense to me, but then I am not one that believes in this concept as a blanket approach.  But, based on what you all are saying, doesn't seem most Americans wll be able to follow "stay at home".

This will give you a glimpse into whether people's behaviors have changed.  I only looked at 3 counties, and it looks like people are not going out and doing the things they used to near as much lately.

https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2020, 05:00:49 PM »

I truly believe that social distancing will help in reducing the spread of the virus, I have only been out of the house once in the last four weeks and that was to pick up a walker (I did not get out of the car). I recently bought a new Toyota Highlander that has just over 1000 miles on it and a roadside warranty, so I'm not much worried a breakdown or flat.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2020, 07:33:07 PM »

I just wonder how effective this is all going to be. In PA we are stay at home until the end of April. I wonder what happens when the cases go down somewhat and say May 15 they say we are good to go and lift the restrictions on people and businesses as folks cooped up flock to the Bars, Stores and Restaurants with the virus still out there.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2020, 08:55:49 PM »

I just wonder how effective this is all going to be. In PA we are stay at home until the end of April. I wonder what happens when the cases go down somewhat and say May 15 they say we are good to go and lift the restrictions on people and businesses as folks cooped up flock to the Bars, Stores and Restaurants with the virus still out there.

Oh, there are already experts saying that we will have to go through this process two or three times to "flatten the curve" before a vaccine is developed.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2020, 09:35:58 PM »

Social distancing and stay at home are two different concepts.

Social Distancing:  Aims to reduce the number and closeness of interactions between people while allowing them to carry out their necessary day-to-day activities. Why? to reduce face-to-face contact and the spread of germs. If you have to go out in public, stay six feet away from others. Minimize close contact between you and other people.

Stay at home (shelter in place):  People stay in their home unless they need to leave for essential activities and work. This is an order that can be legally enforced. Why? This has been done by some cities and states in order to slow the spread of the coronavirus by minimizing contacts between people. It bans all socializing and activities outside of the home.  Essential businesses remain open, such as grocery stores and pharmacies. Residents can leave their home for activities such as walking their dog or seeking medical care, but must maintain social distancing.

Various govenors decided social distancing wasn't working and so ordered stay at home orders to be in effect. That is what happened in Virginia several days ago.

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2020, 06:49:25 AM »

We have started to order our groceries from Walmart and pick them up.  This cuts out being close to a lot of people.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2020, 08:51:12 AM »

I looked at the order and pick up thing. We are looking to get stuff for her grandparents, he needed water softener salt and ridx and wanted a couple of small propane tanks. I could order the ridx and salt online for pick up but had to go in to buy the small propane tanks.  I looked for some of the grocery items he wanted and again 1/3 of it shows in store only. So we are going to go get the rest of his list today.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2020, 09:17:38 AM »

I was surprised to read that the average American/American family consumes 50% of their food from resturants/fast food/outside the home.  Most are now eating at home.  No wonder grocery stores are having trouble keeping up!

Bob The Smoker

• Using less gas.
  • This is the last accessory I will ever need
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2020, 04:57:02 PM »

With these people cooking for themselves could explain the shortage of toilet paper. :)
Traeger Lil Tex Elite Cold Smoker Side Attachment Weber Q Sous Vide

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2020, 06:59:15 PM »

With these people cooking for themselves could explain the shortage of toilet paper. :)

:pig:

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2020, 08:49:25 PM »

I thought the shortage would not last this long, but found out that the cause is due to the International Butt Wiping Competition going on in one of our great venues.  Competition is really tough I am told.  Contestants are judged on technique, amount of paper used, and mistakes made. Of note are the homeless of San Francisco, as they seem to be winning the "least amount of tissue used" division of the competition. They are also in front with the best public techniques as well.  :rotf: (I'll probably get busted for this--Butt!)

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2020, 09:59:50 AM »

Google  residential vs commercial toilet paper supply chains

It's not even the hoarders, it's that most people are no longer using commercial toilet paper as most people are at home.  Given the product differences in commercial vs residential, it's not an easy pivot to redesign the commercial product into residential including sizing and packaging.

It's a rather interesting dilemma in an industry that otherwise is incredibly predictable and efficient.     
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2024 Napoleon Phantom 500 Prestige
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up