Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bread thread.  (Read 63620 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: The Bread thread.
« Reply #435 on: November 15, 2021, 07:57:50 PM »

Yes. Typically 6 to 12 hours after feeding. It still works fine if it's not at its peak, it just takes longer to rise. If you like an actual sour flavor, you would be better off using it after it starts it's fall after peaking.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #436 on: November 16, 2021, 11:30:33 AM »

Yes. Typically 6 to 12 hours after feeding. It still works fine if it's not at its peak, it just takes longer to rise. If you like an actual sour flavor, you would be better off using it after it starts it's fall after peaking.

I add Sour Salt (Citric Acid) to the recipe to get the extra sour taste.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #437 on: November 16, 2021, 05:25:34 PM »

I did not care for that flavor in the pancakes.  Will have to try it in the loaf and see.  I just fed it tonight, so I am going to try a loaf tomorrow.  Hoping that by day 9 it is active enough to start producing a good loaf.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #438 on: November 16, 2021, 05:28:05 PM »

So will sourdough start work well to make sandwich rolls?  Think Hoagie or Amoroso type.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #439 on: November 16, 2021, 05:43:43 PM »

I've never made sourdough rolls, but I don't see why not.

Others have made them - Google "sourdough hoagie roll recipe"

EDIT: here are some sourdough buns just posted today on the PM forum.
        Wasn't Norm (norcoscia) on the PH forum ?  He is the one that posted these.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 05:57:38 PM by 02ebz06 »
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #440 on: November 16, 2021, 10:14:46 PM »

That particular handle does not ring a bell with me.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #441 on: November 17, 2021, 12:20:25 PM »

So will sourdough start work well to make sandwich rolls?  Think Hoagie or Amoroso type.

Sourdough starter works in any product that you would like to make. It's just replacing the commerical yeast with starter to create the same product. The formula will change, but the end result shouldn't.

If you use a young starter (fed say 4 to 6 hours ago) it will most likely taste nearly identical to commercial yeasts. The more mature starter you use along with extended rise times will develop that additional flavor that some people desire.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #442 on: November 17, 2021, 06:41:52 PM »

I am getting ready to put loaf #2 in the oven and will also have a sourdough pizza crust for tonight.  Will post pictures later in each thread.

So I am coming to the end of the 14 days of getting the starter active.  What now?

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #443 on: November 17, 2021, 07:00:01 PM »

I am getting ready to put loaf #2 in the oven and will also have a sourdough pizza crust for tonight.  Will post pictures later in each thread.

So I am coming to the end of the 14 days of getting the starter active.  What now?

I just use 50g discard, add 100g water and 100g flour once daily and bake away.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #444 on: November 17, 2021, 09:08:36 PM »

I will probably only bake one maybe 2 loaves a week.  You just/have to keep feeding it everyday?

I think I am way to low on the loaf with the cut for the 2nd time, but I still do not think the dough is at a stage when it is as firm as I see in the youtube stuff.  Will now really wait till say 14 before I try again!  I guess getting a little closer, but noting like the youtube video that I am going off.  This is supposed to be a no knead.

Any reason for the cracks in the top?

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #445 on: November 18, 2021, 08:30:40 AM »

Not a baker but I would think the cracks are possibly from the slice being so low, looking at the ends of the loaf. They are still attached to the top so it couldn't open up on top as much as it wanted to. I guess what I am trying to say is the ratio above and below the slice is off by to much.

This  is a great lesson you are giving, I like that you, much like myself, are impatient and want to try to get this made.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #446 on: November 18, 2021, 09:51:03 AM »

If you want to bake occasionally you can feed the starter and then put it in the fridge. Feed it about once a week to keep it going. It takes a couple feedings to get to full strength sometimes after taking out of fridge.

So say you want to bake a loaf on Friday. I would take the starter from the fridge on Wednesday. Feed it once on Wednesday and once on Thursday and you should be good to go for Friday.

As far as the cracks, are you using a convection oven with the fan on?  If so, try it with the fan off. The fan forms crust on the bread prematurely and then it blows out. You could also try cutting a little deeper with the lame and also a bit higher as you and Dave both mentioned.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #447 on: November 18, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »

No convection. Thanks to all who are trying to help!

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #448 on: November 22, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »

Technically this isn't bread, but has the same ingredients.
Sourdough blueberry pancakes with made with Starter discard.
Will probably make the bread and crackers the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Haha, I was hungry and started eating before I thought to take a picture.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #449 on: November 22, 2021, 11:41:37 PM »

>So I am coming to the end of the 14 days of
>getting the starter active.  What now?

I would highly recommend the starter maintenance technique that I use. After 25+ years of sourdough baking, I have found nothing that is easier or more reliable. I've been using this method now for about 3 years now and it works great 100% of the time. It requires NO FEEDING or DISCARDING, and is ready to go whenever you need it. The starter is stored in the fridge, and from a 100 gram starter I can make about 12 large 1000 gram loaves. The starter will last about 4 months in the fridge with absolutely no feeding.

The basic gist is that you make a stiff starter from whatever seed you have. The timing of the build is important, but not difficult and takes only about 10 hours. Once that stiff starter is created, store it in the fridge. When you want to bake, take about 6 grams of it and build a levain the night before you are baking. 10-12 hours later you are ready to make dough with it.

Here's a picture of the starter I have on hand - I keep it in a small jelly jar:

I'll post more details tomorrow - gotta go do some holiday meal shopping now.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 47   Go Up