Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion thread for Pit Boss 5.5 cu ft Vertical Smoker Product Review  (Read 27880 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Discussion Thread for Pit Boss 5.5 cu. ft. Vertical Pellet Smoker
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2018, 05:13:23 PM »

10+lbs. of Trail Bologna.  Lots of recipes most calling for venison and pork, this is pork and beef.   Lots of techniques for cooking.  Some say air dry at room temperature, then fridge over night, some straignt into fridge, some lots of smoke other not so much.  Some course grind and stuff, other say emulsify.  Will leave out till about 9, then in fridge and will smoke till 155° IT tomorrow and see how they come out!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »

Wow, how many pounds did you make?

You know, I am having the same issue you had while I am researching snack sticks.  Tons of recipes, prep instructions, cooking methods, etc.  I just have to find one that is the easiest to do.  I saw the same thing last night when doing some research on PA Dutch ring bologna which appears to be very similar to that trail bologna.  I also didn't realize it is a sausage.

Hopefully, the trail bologna turns out great and you can start another thread on how you made it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2018, 05:47:32 PM »

He has gone to a meeting and I don't know if the Tappecue is on and, if so, if folks are following.  If it is, the turkey has been in for 3 hours and I just opened the door to take a temp reading so there would be a dip in chart.

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2018, 08:05:25 PM »

I am just looking at the pictures and trying to figure out why the back is warmer than the front. Sometimes I overthink things.

My first thought was:
This may make no difference at all but, ... For drainage purposes, most patios are sloped away from the house. Meaning the side of the grill that is closest to the house will be slightly higher than the other.  Looking at the pictures, it appears the back of the grill is facing the house and the front is facing out, away from the house. I am wondering if the fact the heat deflector and area with the louvers around the water pan both (may?) have the back side slightly higher than the front, if that could impact the temperature gradiant front to back? I am wondering if you spun the grill 180 degrees in the same location you have it, would the front of the grill become the warmer side? On second thought I doubt this would have a significant enough of an impact on the temperature gradient front to back.

On second thought, I really think it is because the pellet bin is at the back of the unit. The pellet bin is acting like double wall construction and the pellets in the bin are acting like additional insulation between the walls. The front only has a glass door. The back is more insulated so it retains more heat and that it is why it is hotter. That is my official SWAG.

I'll vote for your second thought. 
Also, I don't know why they painted the heat diffuser.  Bad idea.  All that paint ash! Bet it not only tastes bad but is bad for you to taste!
Agree with you on that Bentley.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »

I thought I was pretty accurate on the digital scale and was right around 10lbs.  Will have to weigh a bung in the morning and see how close they are to 1lb.  Hopefully it is good and I get to eat all of them, or worst case scenario that at least I give a taste to family, friends or fireman and they like them!

Notes should just about cover the graph.  This maybe the end of the Tappecue.  We want to thank Gina and the folks at Tappecue for the use of this great device!

Jerky
Whole Chicken/Thighs
Ribs
Pork Belly
Sausage
Trail Bologna
Wings
Biscuits
Cheese (if possible)

Wow, how many pounds did you make?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:32:31 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »

OK, we will now really start getting into cooking.  Will smoke the Trail Bologna tomorrow as I prep the jerky and get it in the marinade.  And then will get the jerky and pork belly in the smoke on Weds, followed by ribs and sausage...Doh, I gotta get some fish and make some sausage!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2018, 09:33:49 PM »

what temps do you plan to use for the bologna, jerky, belly, and sausage?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2018, 09:41:23 PM »

That was the reason for the tests at the beginning of the day, I was going to see which stayed lower, Smoke or 150° setting.  I did not know that a turkey was to go on today, so I got screwed out of that data.  I think 150° setting will stay lower then the smoke setting, so will probably start with it and see how the temps track.  Would like to keep the unit under 160° so I can pull the bologna when it hits 155° IT!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2018, 10:00:45 PM »

Great.  I am curious at how well it stays at those low temps and hopefully avoids any flameouts.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2018, 10:21:08 PM »

Guess I will just tie them to the racks and let them hang for the smoke.

Kristin's turkey cook!  Sorry, but that is a butt ugly looking turkey skin color.  Makes me wonder if the heating pellets had anything to do with it!  I need to switch back to some cooking pellets tomorrow!

Fire708

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Shelton!
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2018, 10:37:36 AM »

I’ve had some odd colored chops and chicken that’s tasted amazing, so, hoped the bird taste?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2018, 10:47:12 AM »

I was cooking it just to cook and have the meat for other things -- turkey pot pie, sandwiches, etc.  So I really did not do anything which would have helped with flavor -- no brine, no salt or pepper or herbs inside the cavity, etc.  Just pretty much threw on to cook and I thought it would help show capacity.  You could cook a whole Thanksgiving dinner in this thing -- sweet potatoes, dressing, green bean casserole -- including a really big turkey.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:52:00 AM by Kristin Meredith »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2018, 10:52:20 AM »

Any guesses on how long to get 1lb. of meat paste to 155° IT with a unit set on 150°?  Winner gets a year Membership at Pellet Fan!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »

Any guesses on how long to get 1lb. of meat paste to 155° IT with a unit set on 150°?  Winner gets a year Membership at Pellet Fan!

4 hours

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2018, 10:57:39 AM »

The mahogany color you are looking for is typically the color of the casing to start I believe.

Like this?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24   Go Up