Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke-n-Hot Grills...Too! The Eco.  (Read 25762 times)

RanrocSmoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Smoke-n-Hot Grills...Too! The Eco.
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2019, 08:19:35 PM »

So...just wanted to let you all know that I think you are all a BAD influence on me...LOL!!!

I worked from home today (didn't even tell the boss in advance). I've already emailed my initial results to the manufacturer.

I was able to easily adjust the fan performance settings. Below are pics after the sessions:

1. First pic - PRE adjustment ash from last night's cook (just as a reminder and to compare...over an hr at 230*, then about an hour at 650*)
2. Second pic - similar temp and times: a little over an hr at 220*, and then about 10 minutes shy of another hr at 650*
3. Third pic is from this evening: a little less than 2 hrs at 400*
4. Last pic - no pellets sitting on slide and no visible evidence of burnt pellets in the auger

I will continue to monitor ash volume at end of cooks, and I will try different pellet brands to see which produce the least ash with this system. But I think the fan adjustment made some difference, and there was not any difference in visible smoke produced that I could tell.
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2019, 08:25:35 PM »

Form tonite's cook:

Haddock with olive oil, butter, fresh chopped garlic, salt/pepper, and lemon juice
Asparagus with fresh chopped garlic, olive oil, salt/pepper
Little potatoes with olive oil, salt/pepper

400*, indirect (slats closed)

Easy, simple to prepare, and delicious dinner...and clean up was a breeze. This is how life should be!
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2019, 09:11:09 PM »

Mucho grande.  Looks like you've got it.  Nice dinner. Fan speed really is important. I never really thought about it as for keeping ash from building up.  :clap:

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2019, 05:10:38 AM »

How is the smoke profile on the new fan setting?  Do you get a lot less smoke flavor, or does it seem about the same?

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2019, 09:13:50 AM »

How is the smoke profile on the new fan setting?  Do you get a lot less smoke flavor, or does it seem about the same?

On the test I did initially right after the adjustments, I only had tortilla wraps spread across the grill. Smokey smell, but not really any flavor captured.

On the cook last night, the potatoes and asparagus got a bunch of smoke smell because I put them on as the unit was heating up to 400*. Lots of visible smoke, same as before adjustment. Once it got past 350 or so, I saw less smoke and once it got to 400, that’s when I put the fish on.

Honestly, there was so much garlic on everything, it could’ve covered up any smoke flavor. It smelled great though!

Next cook will be a pork butt and I’ll be able to get a better sense of the impact of the adjustments on flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2019, 09:57:40 AM »

So...just wanted to let you all know that I think you are all a BAD influence on me...LOL!!!

We're the guys your mom warned you about. 
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2019, 10:21:58 AM »

LOL!

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2019, 01:55:01 PM »

Yes.  Mine also told me about wicked city women with painted lips.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2019, 03:39:45 PM »

I think the pork butt will be the true test.  Low and slow and very long cook.  Did Dan allow that further adjustment can be done if it backs up too much with a long cook? If you have no problem then you are home free. I also think that the suggestion to use another brand of pellets is a good one, as I agree that LJ produces more ash. There are several high quality 100% hardwood pellets.

okie smokie

« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »

It appears that the auger tube is in better position (from the pics looking up the shute).  Did you do any adjusting?

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2019, 10:47:37 PM »

It appears that the auger tube is in better position (from the pics looking up the shute).  Did you do any adjusting?

No, I didn’t adjust the auger at all. It could just be the angle and lighting that makes it look like it’s in a different position.

I did place an order for Cookin Pellets that I’ll try this weekend and see if I notice any difference.

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2019, 10:50:42 PM »

I think the pork butt will be the true test.  Low and slow and very long cook.  Did Dan allow that further adjustment can be done if it backs up too much with a long cook? If you have no problem then you are home free. I also think that the suggestion to use another brand of pellets is a good one, as I agree that LJ produces more ash. There are several high quality 100% hardwood pellets.

I can make adjustments to the fan speed based on the info he gave me. I’m going to try to observe the low and slow cooks really well to see if there is s difference. I’m not worried about short cooks, especially at high temps.

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2019, 11:05:18 PM »

I can make adjustments to the fan speed based on the info he gave me. I’m going to try to observe the low and slow cooks really well to see if there is s difference. I’m not worried about short cooks, especially at high temps.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. 

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »

Thanks for the info on the grill.  I'm somewhat interested in this grill but I am very nervous since I got burned by Firecraft and don't want to invest in a grill that won't be supported after a few years.

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2019, 02:42:41 PM »

Thanks for the info on the grill.  I'm somewhat interested in this grill but I am very nervous since I got burned by Firecraft and don't want to invest in a grill that won't be supported after a few years.

It’s not an easy call to make for sure. Even with the guarantee of being able to return, it’s not something I think I’d enjoy putting myself through.

For me, I was looking for a grill that could smoke. I think this one checks off all the. Ones that are important to me.

Relative to other similar grills, it’s a lot less of an investment up front. Long term...we’ll see!

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up